U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Somewhere
212 posts, read 358,478 times
Reputation: 166

Advertisements

Alright, it seems as if Buffalo NY's population decline has been rapidly slowing.

Population 2010: 261,229
Population 2012: 261,025

Buffalo is losing ~102 people per year. This means that Buffalo's population will be around 260,000 in 2020, at current rates.

With the development going on in the downtown area, I wouldn't be surprised if the population count begins to slowly increase. The new lofts will attract young college students.

The Buffalo Niagara Metropolitan area is growing at the moment, as most of the population decline in the region was coming from the city itself.

What do you think the population of Buffalo NY and the Buffalo-Niagara Metro will be?

My Opinion;
Buffalo: 265,000
Metro: 1,150,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 AM
 
341 posts, read 555,101 times
Reputation: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffalonianPride View Post
What do you think the population of Buffalo NY and the Buffalo-Niagara Metro will be?

My Opinion;
Buffalo: 265,000
Metro: 1,150,000
If we follow the current trend, by 2020, about 255K. However, if we are in fact, bottomed out, I would hazard 265K would be a fair estimation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Hamburg, NY
1,167 posts, read 2,266,108 times
Reputation: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffalonianPride View Post
Alright, it seems as if Buffalo NY's population decline has been rapidly slowing.

Population 2010: 261,229
Population 2012: 261,025

Buffalo is losing ~102 people per year. This means that Buffalo's population will be around 260,000 in 2020, at current rates.

With the development going on in the downtown area, I wouldn't be surprised if the population count begins to slowly increase. The new lofts will attract young college students.

The Buffalo Niagara Metropolitan area is growing at the moment, as most of the population decline in the region was coming from the city itself.

What do you think the population of Buffalo NY and the Buffalo-Niagara Metro will be?

My Opinion;
Buffalo: 265,000
Metro: 1,150,000
That is really good news! The bleeding has stopped.

I hope to add my family (4 people) to the Metro count for 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Buffalo
719 posts, read 1,249,828 times
Reputation: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
That is really good news! The bleeding has stopped.

I hope to add my family (4 people) to the Metro count for 2013.
I added myself in 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 PM
 
417 posts, read 666,821 times
Reputation: 481
Good to hear, as the whole country tanks and other cities have been pounded by the housing crisis, the grass is no longer greener elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 AM
 
Location: NY
8,952 posts, read 13,898,026 times
Reputation: 11196
I think there will still be some slow decline in the city as some of the worse areas continue to empty. I would expect the metro area to hold about steady, to decline slightly, over the next number of years. I do not see tons of business growth which would spur a big population increase, and I would also expect younger folks to continue to search for employment elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 PM
Vex
 
125 posts, read 219,098 times
Reputation: 158
I would expect the population to continue to decline due to unfavorable demographics. There's a lot of old timers still living in the city that won't be with us much longer. It'll be too bad because their stories about growing up in the city or how time has changed things will be lost. An old timer was telling me how Lovejoy was farmland when he was a kid, how the first sidewalks there were made of wood, how he'd walk to work at such and such furniture factory every morning and how the Poles would be out sweeping the streets and sidewalks on a daily basis. If only the people in those same neighborhoods would put the same effort into keeping their property now! Buffalo in its heyday must have been a sight to see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 AM
 
341 posts, read 555,101 times
Reputation: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
If only the people in those same neighborhoods would put the same effort into keeping their property now! Buffalo in its heyday must have been a sight to see!
In many neighborhoods, people still do this. And, it's still a sight to see. People from all over the world have commented on how nice Buffalo is, with it's close proximity to strong urban areas, suburbia-type areas, and rural areas.

A friend from the UK loves that he can drive to a winery in less than 20 minutes here, then go and catch a "Soccer" game (Football), and then go to a brew pub much like he had back home in Glasgow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 AM
 
20 posts, read 42,798 times
Reputation: 35
We moved here in August from southern California and we are happy we did. I find that people in Buffalo tend to be so self-deprecative in general instead of seeing how many wonderful things are here vs. the rest of the country. My husband is even considering getting out of the military so we can stay here. I've spent my entire life moving all over the US (and have even lived in two other countries) and I can honestly say I love it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2013, 12:04 PM
 
4,135 posts, read 9,009,137 times
Reputation: 2672
Glad you like it here, Charlie! This area is always happy to have someone who sees the good about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top