U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-20-2007, 08:42 AM

144 posts, read 324,418 times
Default Relocating to Buffalo, need info.

Keep your fingers crossed for us. After almost 2 years of searhing my husband has a job offer for a plant near Buffalo. (Tonawanda) We don't want to buy a house as we will have to rent out our home in Michigan (nothing is selling here) and don't want to saddle ourselve with 2 morgages, and as the market here is so bad we know we won't be able to rent it for the morgage payment.

ANYWAYS...... What is the rental market like in Buffalo. We would rather a house (or at least a lower flat) than an apartment complex. We estimate we can afford about $900.00 a month. I know that isn't a lot so hopefully we won't end up in the ghetto. What areas should we avoid, etc..etc.. etc...

We have never even been to Buffalo so I have no clue what to expect.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-20-2007, 11:28 AM

61 posts, read 176,822 times
$900 goes a fairly long way here. In fact, Tonawanda might be a great place for your family, with reasonable rents and no, its not a "bad" area (steer clear of the Sheridan-Parkside Projects though). Kenmore, a suburb of Tonawanda (where I live) is great as well. I moved here from the city, specifically because I wanted a safe place to walk my dog at night. Parts of Amherst (just a short drive from Tonawanda) are nice and affordable, and Williamsville is tres chic, safe, but expensive. You can look for rentals on craigslist, Buffalo News (online) and the Bee newspapers (google it). Good luck!

Unread 10-20-2007, 08:15 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,718,650 times
Lots of doubles in Kenmore and the town has lots of apts. Amherst ( zip 14228) has many complexes, but also duplexes. Town of Tonawand & part of City of Tonawanda (zip 14150) has lots of rentals; lots of doubles in the City.

If your husband is working in Tonawanda, what part? It helps to define where you want to look and what you will spend. The more you go toward Amherst, Williamsville and even toward Clarence ( all east), the higher the prices.

Flats are a lot cheaper than houses.

Unread 10-21-2007, 07:03 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,280,736 times
Talking housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganirish View Post

ANYWAYS...... What is the rental market like in Buffalo. We would rather a house (or at least a lower flat) than an apartment complex. We estimate we can afford about $900.00 a month. I know that isn't a lot so hopefully we won't end up in the ghetto. What areas should we avoid, etc..etc.. etc...
thats a really good amount of money to rent a home here, as an agent if you can afford to rent a home with 900 a month, i would personally purchase, but thats just my thoughts, as long as your credit is good. 900 actually goes a very long way and there are safe neighborhoods for that amount. usually home rentals are done through owners, check out buffalonews.com, especially on saturday in the home finder, craigslist.org also has some postings. But really, with 900 a month, I would reconsider purchasing. How is your agent marketing your home for sale currently? Although the markets isnt the greatest, there are people looking for homes, that being said, everything has to be priced appropriatly. I had a home (personal) in the city that needed extensive work in the kitchen, I sold it within two months because I realized I wasnt going to get what others get due to the amount of money that needed to be put into it - but it sold, while others are still sitting. You need to remember that you might not want to lower your price, however do your really want to pay taxes and upkeep on your home? Also you run the risk of insurance companies finding out it isnt occupied, then you have to board it up. Maint. has to be done, grass mowed, watered lawn and snow removel on a daily basis, while you are gone, so noone knows it is empty. After factoring in all those expenses along with utilities, as you cant shut them off, lowering your price might make more sense to get it off the market - lots to think of - however, welcome to the area!!!!!!!!!!! and congrats on your husbands job
Colleen

Unread 10-21-2007, 03:59 PM

It is a buyers market here now. Lots of people returned from WWII and settled and raised families....lots of their kids are now selling those homes. Kenmore is a great inexpensive suburb to look in. The Town of Tona is generally a bit higher and The City of Tona is older homes, but cheaper -- but still lots of newer ones. Look in area code 14217 for Kenmore.

Unread 10-25-2007, 08:04 AM

Thanks for all your help everyone. Sounds like we'll not have a problem finding housing.

Unread 10-26-2007, 07:52 AM

11 posts, read 42,898 times
Just to let you know michiganirish, there are nice areas in the city of buffalo that are just as nice as the suburbs. I am not sure if you have children or not, but if you don't I would consider Delaware Park/ Parkside area. No matter what people may say about the city, the suburbs can be just as dangerous. The school systems may be better in the suburbs, but there are many good schools in the city as well. Just a little footnote... thanks

Unread 10-30-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycee0421 View Post
Just to let you know michiganirish, there are nice areas in the city of buffalo that are just as nice as the suburbs. I am not sure if you have children or not, but if you don't I would consider Delaware Park/ Parkside area. No matter what people may say about the city, the suburbs can be just as dangerous. The school systems may be better in the suburbs, but there are many good schools in the city as well. Just a little footnote... thanks
Actually, we wouldn't mind living in the city, if we could find one of those beautiful old homes we have seen pictures of to rent. Although we now live in what is called here a cottage district, (a lake area where the cottages were turned in year round homes) and it is very "un-city like". My husband grew up in the city of Detroit and I grew up in a suburb located only minutes from downtown. Neither of us are afraid of city living. I especially love cities there is usually more to offer than the out lying areas.

We think the job is a sure thing, as I type Wally has left to go the job offer with the VP, so it looks like we may have to get the ball rolling fairly soon. if you see anything like I mentioned above let me know!

Thanks!

Unread 11-01-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Moving to Buffalo, Need Info on Delaware Park Area.

We are relocating to Buffalo, my husband starts his job there next week.
We have found a rental house we really like, well cared for etc.... But we virtually know nothing about the area it's in.

It's located on Woodward Ave between Florence Ave and Jewett Parkway.

The photos they sent show a neighbourhood that looks okay and as I said the house itself is lovely.

Can you give us some idea what that area is like ?

Unread 11-02-2007, 11:14 PM

Mapquest fotr the intersection of Woodward and Jewett Parkway. The area was once gorgeous and very expensive. It is going down due to the area across Main.

Look North of Amherst St and west of Parkside. You have kids and want safety.

When you go east of Main, it gets trashy. Fillmore and Leroy ( you will see them on the map) is a bad area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area