Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 03:03 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,346,941 times

Advertisements

The Buffalo area is saturated with amazing restaurants, and I love "unhealthy" food as much as anyone, but sometimes I get a craving for a restaurant meal with all fresh ingredients that's really nutritious without too many unnecessary "restaurant calories". I am fully aware I can make such meals at home so please spare me on that type of snarky advice. I do cook at home plenty, but I really enjoy dining out a couple times a week and am looking for something different. Not just a restaurant with healthier options, as most restaurants fit that description. I'm talking about an establishment that kind of bills itself as a healthful choice overall. Other areas of the country of course have more of these types of places. Just wondering what I can find locally.

I'm personally hoping for restaurant suggestions in the Amherst, Clarence, Lancaster, Depew, Cheektowaga area, but feel free to post your recommendations for other suburbs as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 08:38 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,134 times
I'm not the best authority on restaurants in the Buffalo area but I will take a stab at a few suggestions with my limited knowledge.

Cracker Barrel actually has some pretty healthy options on their menu.. Their side dishes unlike other chain restaurants are not coated in oil or butter. You might be pleasantly surprised. They have a location on Transit at I-90.

Chipotle is pretty healthy. Multiple locations in the area.

Sushi can be healthy if you make the right choices (avoid fried tempuras for example) - Blue fin asian bistro on Elmwood is excellent. In Williamsville, I thought Koi Sushi (All you can eat) wasn't bad.

Alton's in Cheektowaga by the Walden Galleria had some smaller portion menu items, grilled souvlakis and such, could be fairly healthy. Their food is really good.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:37 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,809,362 times
Healthy Options Buffalo - WNY's Healthy Dining Resource

Try this one. I just tried "healthy option restaurants Buffalo NY"

Kebab & Curry and Tandoori's seem to do exceptionally well in the healthy area, if you like the food.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:41 PM

77 posts, read 280,381 times
Not sure about calories, but Thai Orchid on Evans near Sheridan has excellent food made with fresh ingredients by a very nice family. Their fresh Papaya Salad is one of our favorite appetizers (you can choose the level of heat) and everything we have there has been great.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:48 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,134 times
If you're going thai, stay away from the coconut curries and the noodle dishes like Pad Thai if you're trying to eat healthy.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:03 AM

130 posts, read 275,245 times
Gin Gin on Sheridan drive is not only healthy, delicious but also cheap.
http://m.yelp.com/biz/gin-gin-restaurant-buffalo

Old 03-08-2013, 03:04 PM

130 posts, read 275,245 times
Thank you very much for your reputation point. I return a reputation point for such a classy gesture. Don't forget to try their BUBBLE TEA!

Last edited by CityLight; 03-08-2013 at 04:13 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,308 times
I like the Clarence Bistro in "the Hollow" area on Rt. 5. Their food is fresh and delicious. Homemade soups and salads are a reasonable alternative to entrees. The atmosphere is cozy too. If you haven't checked out Urban Spoon's website, I recommend it for dining
suggestions, menus, directions, etc.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 PM

65 posts, read 204,637 times
I tried "Go Veggies", I thought it was good. The menu is completely vegetarian,no meat. Its a little bit Asian/part Indian food. Its in Buffalo NY but they also have cooking classes in Tonawanda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area