Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I understand what you said. However, the enhanced license/ID is nuts! My passport required proof of birth (nationality), address (license) and name (*women have married names, so I took my marriage license) and 2 pics. I don't remember needing a lot more. I went to the Post Office and got the pics taken and they sent it in; got the Passport in a few weeks. I took all of the above for the enhanced license and still needed additional documentation of proof I lived at the same address! It was bizarre. My hubby was getting his at the same time and the lady told us we needed different proofs of address -- we could not both use the same utility bill! (I figured that; I had multiple proofs) We were also registering a car at the time, for at our own address... I wonder if it is just the people who work in the different places?
I was thinking about this today....looking through my paperwork for documents...not something I enjoy doing....LOL

Could part of the issue be that the feds aren't getting $$$$ whenever someone gets an enhanced license vs a passport? So they make it wicked hard to get an enhanced license hoping you'll cave and pay for the more costly passport and the feds get to cash in instead of the state getting your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I was thinking about this today....looking through my paperwork for documents...not something I enjoy doing....LOL

Could part of the issue be that the feds aren't getting $$$$ whenever someone gets an enhanced license vs a passport? So they make it wicked hard to get an enhanced license hoping you'll cave and pay for the more costly passport and the feds get to cash in instead of the state getting your money.
The enhanced is NY DMV and the Passport is Fed. Govt. The enhanced allows domestic air, international car, bus, train and boat to Canada and some other western hemisphere locations. Passport allows all. I don't think NY gives the Feds a penny for the enhanced. I could be wrong

I think the enhanced is such a pain since so many NYers snowbird but keep homes here -- hence, they need the utility bill, etc. to prove you actually live there.

My only reason to have both? The enhanced is in the wallet. If we ever go to Canada or were stuck somewhere and needed to fly? I have it.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:31 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I understand what you said. However, the enhanced license/ID is nuts! My passport required proof of birth (nationality), address (license) and name (*women have married names, so I took my marriage license) and 2 pics. I don't remember needing a lot more. I went to the Post Office and got the pics taken and they sent it in; got the Passport in a few weeks. I took all of the above for the enhanced license and still needed additional documentation of proof I lived at the same address! It was bizarre. My hubby was getting his at the same time and the lady told us we needed different proofs of address -- we could not both use the same utility bill! (I figured that; I had multiple proofs) We were also registering a car at the time, for at our own address... I wonder if it is just the people who work in the different places?
I think it's the people you had the misfortune to have do your paperwork. I didn't have those problems when I got my enhanced DL in Jamestown. I brought in my birth certificate and proof of my current address via my local utility bill. I had my license with me but they had it on line, complete with picture, so no big deal. They then took my picture just like they would for a regular license. I paid my money and a few weeks later I got my enhanced DL.

The process for getting both the enhanced DL and the passport were similarly easy here.

PS: when I lived in Buffalo, I never used the EC DMV offices. I always went up to either North Tonawanda (Wheatfield Street) or Little Valley (there's a Catt County DMV in Delevan now, too): shorter waits (like none), better service (as in they know their jobs!), and much more polite staff.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I think it's the people you had the misfortune to have do your paperwork. I didn't have those problems when I got my enhanced DL in Jamestown. I brought in my birth certificate and proof of my current address via my local utility bill. I had my license with me but they had it on line, complete with picture, so no big deal. They then took my picture just like they would for a regular license. I paid my money and a few weeks later I got my enhanced DL.
Man, this is sooooooo true. There's 2 people at my DMV. The lady is a pain in the rear end and NOTHING makes her happy. She could be in Disney with Mickey smooching her and she'd STILL be an old crotchety witch. The guy who works there is the polar opposite. Every time I go I hope and pray - and I'm not religious - that I get him. I had to deal with her ONCE and that was enough. I'd sit in line for 3 hours to avoid her.

It definitely seems like if you already have a license then it's FAR easier to get the enhanced one. You don't need nearly as much documentation.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Man, this is sooooooo true. There's 2 people at my DMV. The lady is a pain in the rear end and NOTHING makes her happy. She could be in Disney with Mickey smooching her and she'd STILL be an old crotchety witch. The guy who works there is the polar opposite. Every time I go I hope and pray - and I'm not religious - that I get him. I had to deal with her ONCE and that was enough. I'd sit in line for 3 hours to avoid her.

It definitely seems like if you already have a license then it's FAR easier to get the enhanced one. You don't need nearly as much documentation.
I went to the DMV in downtown Buffalo once. It was waiting in line for three hours. They had a couple hundred people needing licenses/registrations/whatever and about three or four people to help them -- then one would rotate out for lunch or breaks or something.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,054 times
Quote:

The process for getting both the enhanced DL and the passport were similarly easy here.

PS: when I lived in Buffalo, I never used the EC DMV offices. I always went up to either North Tonawanda (Wheatfield Street) or Little Valley (there's a Catt County DMV in Delevan now, too): shorter waits (like none), better service (as in they know their jobs!), and much more polite staff.
The office in the Eastern Hills is where I got my enhanced DL. No wait, nice employees- quite a different experience from the past.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I went to the DMV in downtown Buffalo once. It was waiting in line for three hours. They had a couple hundred people needing licenses/registrations/whatever and about three or four people to help them -- then one would rotate out for lunch or breaks or something.
No way would I wait 3 hours! That's insane! I never understood why the busy offices only have a handful of people working the counter. I remember when you'd get one office per county and that way a nightmare. Given the size of many of our counties, you could travel well over an hour to go to that one office. Then sit for hours and have to drive another hour plus home. What fun!

Old 06-30-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
No way would I wait 3 hours! That's insane! I never understood why the busy offices only have a handful of people working the counter. I remember when you'd get one office per county and that way a nightmare. Given the size of many of our counties, you could travel well over an hour to go to that one office. Then sit for hours and have to drive another hour plus home. What fun!
The local county clerks' offices get $$$ based on the number of registration/license business they do for NYS, but you can always do your business through NYS or go to a neighboring county. That means that counties are somewhat in competition.

As Quispy noted, the Eastern Hills satellite office is much better, and I think that's because they need to be since they are relatively close to Niagara County. If they didn't offer a good experience, people would just do their business in the NT or Lockport DMV offices. In downtown Buffalo, they don't particularly feel any need to treat the public particularly nicely.

I lived in Buffalo for twenty years, and the attitude of the city and county governments towards the residents is the biggest reason that I will never live anywhere in Erie County again. Having lived outside of Erie County for nearly 30 years, I realize that not all county or city governments treat their residents badly, and I am constantly amazed that Buffalo and Erie County residents put up with it.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I lived in Buffalo for twenty years, and the attitude of the city and county governments towards the residents is the biggest reason that I will never live anywhere in Erie County again. Having lived outside of Erie County for nearly 30 years, I realize that not all county or city governments treat their residents badly, and I am constantly amazed that Buffalo and Erie County residents put up with it.
It is AMAZING what differences you get in different counties. Albany County was a pain in the arse and that's the nicest thing I can say about it! Ontario County is so different! People here don't have a major attitude. Maybe it's something in Albany's water. Ha! They're soooo miserable in those state offices there.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:59 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Quote:

I liked the one in N. Tonawanda as well, but the one in Cheektowaga is closer.

The kicker with them was the bring a bill thing: All our bills come in both names. However, when you pay the bill and tear off the slip and send it in? It shows only the first name of 2 on the stub bill - No 2 names with the address. So, I had to find a credit card bill that came in that day and mail. (I pay things the day they come in and didn't realize nothing had 2 names AND our address!) I got a real jerk -- my husband was at the next window. The girl he had said "are you together?" and told the jerk I had she'd take us both. It made it easier. [I also laughed when the lady I had had got a person with a bigger problem: getting back a license after a suspension! Was he screaming like mad.]

Also, if you do your DMV things in your county? The county keeps some money. If we went to Niagara or Cattaraugus, those counties would get it. If you mail it, Albany keeps it. I don't know how much of the entire thing it is, but when Kathy Hochul was County Clerk, she sent out fliers about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area