U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 AM
 
78 posts, read 65,343 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
People have said the same thing about bigger cities with a strong industrial history like Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Detroit, in which each city is seeing some reinvestment. While they are bigger, they can be examples for a smaller city like Niagara Falls. Ironically, Niagara Falls, ON has a similarly industrial history and is viewed somewhat similarly in Ontario. Hoboken NJ is a smaller city that has also seen recent development and investment.

As for NFHS graduates, I don't know where they go and that will depend on many factors. So, it is tough to say where they go.

There are also some BPS high schools with graduation rates that are around or higher than NFHS. City Honors, DaVinci, Hutch Tech and Buffalo Arts come to mind.
Hoboken has the luxury of being right across the river from the nation's largest financial center. Niagara Falls isn't exactly in the same boat, being 20 miles away from a city whose economy isn't even on par with Cleveland's or Pittsburgh's.

The BPS does have a few good schools, but is pretty crappy overall. Its graduation rate is now under 50%. That's right. Less than half of Buffalo's students graduate from high school. Even Memphis has a 70% graduation rate and their school system is notoriously bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2013, 11:28 AM
 
52,622 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Reputation: 11627
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughIsEnough View Post
Hoboken has the luxury of being right across the river from the nation's largest financial center. Niagara Falls isn't exactly in the same boat, being 20 miles away from a city whose economy isn't even on par with Cleveland's or Pittsburgh's.

The BPS does have a few good schools, but is pretty crappy overall. Its graduation rate is now under 50%. That's right. Less than half of Buffalo's students graduate from high school. Even Memphis has a 70% graduation rate and their school system is notoriously bad.
Memphis is now a part of Shelby County Schools. Perhaps standards may need to be considered, but I could be wrong.

Many things can be used to a city's advantage. So, it is a matter of capitalizing off of whatever advantage you may have. It is interesting that the town of Wheatfield is or was the fastest growing municipality in the metro area(if not state) in recent years. It went from just over 14,000 in 2000 to just over 18,000 in 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 AM
 
78 posts, read 65,343 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Memphis is now a part of Shelby County Schools. Perhaps standards may need to be considered, but I could be wrong.

Many things can be used to a city's advantage. So, it is a matter of capitalizing off of whatever advantage you may have. It is interesting that the town of Wheatfield is or was the fastest growing municipality in the metro area(if not state) in recent years. It went from just over 14,000 in 2000 to just over 18,000 in 2010.
Niagara Falls has had decades to capitalize on its location. I don't see any signs of a turnaround up there. None whatsoever.

Regarding graduation rates in Memphis, the countywide graduation rate is around 90%. The ~70% figure was strictly for the inner-city schools. There is no excuse for Buffalo's graduation rate to be at a dismal 47%. That is pathetic. The overall graduation rate in NYS is 74%. Even NYC's is 60%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 02:12 PM
 
52,622 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Reputation: 11627
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughIsEnough View Post
Niagara Falls has had decades to capitalize on its location. I don't see any signs of a turnaround up there. None whatsoever.

Regarding graduation rates in Memphis, the countywide graduation rate is around 90%. The ~70% figure was strictly for the inner-city schools. There is no excuse for Buffalo's graduation rate to be at a dismal 47%. That is pathetic. The overall graduation rate in NYS is 74%. Even NYC's is 60%.
A lot of cities have been down for decades and have turned things around. So, that wouldn't be anything new and it is never too late to turn things around.

As for Buffalo HS's, it seems like a tale of different schools. Along with the 4 I mentioned, usually McKinley and Emerson are at least in the 70's for grad percentage. With that said, there is room for much improvement. I think the Memphis rate is for the range of schools in the city.

To get back to the original topic, here are some pictures for both sides of the Falls: The REAL Niagara Falls - SkyscraperPage Forum

Niagara Falls, NY: DeVeaux - SkyscraperPage Forum

Niagara Falls, ON: Victoria Centre - SkyscraperPage Forum

Niagara Falls, Ontario - SkyscraperPage Forum

Niagara Falls, NY: La Salle, Cayuga Island, Love Canal - SkyscraperPage Forum

Niagara Falls, NY: Echota - SkyscraperCity

Niagara Falls, New York......living up to its potential? - SkyscraperPage Forum

Niagara Falls, NY: Downtown - SkyscraperPage Forum

and some development news: Niagara Falls Development News - Page 40 - SkyscraperCity

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-09-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 02:46 PM
 
78 posts, read 65,343 times
Reputation: 41
So how would you suggest improving Niagara Falls, ckhthankgod? It's going to take more than a culinary institute and a few small hotels to turn that depressing town around. All of the major development is still taking place on the Canadian side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 03:24 PM
 
52,622 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Reputation: 11627
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughIsEnough View Post
So how would you suggest improving Niagara Falls, ckhthankgod? It's going to take more than a culinary institute and a few small hotels to turn that depressing town around. All of the major development is still taking place on the Canadian side.
I go back to what I've been saying for years on here. Consolidation of services in order help reduce taxes, to in turn reduce the tax burden for residents and businesses. Look into using the nearby hydroelectric resources to reduce energy costs for the city through NYPA. Expand Niagara University's and Niagara County CC's footprint into the city through housing and academic programs, which will bring an infusion of youth. This also could allow the city to take advantage of the Tax Free initiative proposed for areas around college campuses and possibly create new industries and jobs. Add educational programs to the city's Police Athletic League if they aren't there already, as well as compete for the souls of young people through education by encouraging or attracting charter schools. If they don't already, bring back some vocational offerings back to the NFCSD which may not have been there since the closing of Trott Vocational(I could be wrong though). Possibly work on an initiative to offer educational incentives/scholarships to top students at NFHS and Niagara Catholic students that are Niagara Falls residents, which could be attractive to families to stay or move into the city. Perhaps offer internships/summer jobs through the NFCSD for children 12-18 or 19 with either public or private entities in the city/area.

I'd look into forming police stations throughout the city in order for officers to get to know the neighborhoods they serve and to encourage community policing by using these stations to allow the public to be educated as to what they could do to prevent or report crimes without feeling that their life is in danger by doing so. With this said, a lot of this is in rough stages and depends on funding/structural changes, but I think that they are some things that the city could consider to improve its image and address some concerns.

What would you do or suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 03:53 PM
 
52,622 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Reputation: 11627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A lot of cities have been down for decades and have turned things around. So, that wouldn't be anything new and it is never too late to turn things around.

As for Buffalo HS's, it seems like a tale of different schools. Along with the 4 I mentioned, usually McKinley and Emerson are at least in the 70's for grad percentage. With that said, there is room for much improvement. I think the Memphis rate is for the range of schools in the city.

To get back to the original topic, here are some pictures for both sides of the Falls: The REAL Niagara Falls - SkyscraperPage Forum

Niagara Falls, NY: DeVeaux - SkyscraperPage Forum

Niagara Falls, ON: Victoria Centre - SkyscraperPage Forum

Niagara Falls, Ontario - SkyscraperPage Forum

Niagara Falls, NY: La Salle, Cayuga Island, Love Canal - SkyscraperPage Forum

Niagara Falls, NY: Echota - SkyscraperCity

Niagara Falls, New York......living up to its potential? - SkyscraperPage Forum

Niagara Falls, NY: Downtown - SkyscraperPage Forum

and some development news: Niagara Falls Development News - Page 40 - SkyscraperCity
More photos/info: Niagara Falls, NY: Downtown - SkyscraperPage Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 04:02 PM
 
78 posts, read 65,343 times
Reputation: 41
I would start by making the Central Business District more attractive for tourists. Right now it is a complete joke. Besides gambling, what is there to do in the actual downtown area of Niagara Falls? Go to the run-down aquarium? Snore. Check out the daredevil museum? Oh wait, that is now closed. There's nothing going on around there. There are no decent attractions where tourists could spend their money and inject it into the struggling local economy. All the action is on the Canadian side. So that is where most of the dollars, Canadian and American, end up going.

Niagara Falls needs to be an attractive place for tourists and residents alike. As far as the latter is concerned, who is going to want to live in a city full of toxic waste dumps and crime-filled neighborhoods? Who is going to want to live in a city with very few opportunities for employment? Right now the city is a haven for lowlife scum who abuse the welfare system. The productive class isn't rushing to live in Niagara Falls anytime soon. Neither are young hipsters, retirees, or anyone else besides parasitic scum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Jamestown, NY
7,841 posts, read 6,916,930 times
Reputation: 13779
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughIsEnough View Post
I would start by making the Central Business District more attractive for tourists. Right now it is a complete joke. Besides gambling, what is there to do in the actual downtown area of Niagara Falls? Go to the run-down aquarium? Snore. Check out the daredevil museum? Oh wait, that is now closed. There's nothing going on around there. There are no decent attractions where tourists could spend their money and inject it into the struggling local economy. All the action is on the Canadian side. So that is where most of the dollars, Canadian and American, end up going.

Niagara Falls needs to be an attractive place for tourists and residents alike. As far as the latter is concerned, who is going to want to live in a city full of toxic waste dumps and crime-filled neighborhoods? Who is going to want to live in a city with very few opportunities for employment? Right now the city is a haven for lowlife scum who abuse the welfare system. The productive class isn't rushing to live in Niagara Falls anytime soon. Neither are young hipsters, retirees, or anyone else besides parasitic scum.
You do realize that the reason Niagara Falls is full of toxic waste dumps is because "the productive class" made their fortunes using the Niagara River and the city of Niagara Falls as dumps for their chemical wastes, right? To my mind, that makes them the "parasitic scum" in WNY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 04:41 PM
 
52,622 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Reputation: 11627
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughIsEnough View Post
I would start by making the Central Business District more attractive for tourists. Right now it is a complete joke. Besides gambling, what is there to do in the actual downtown area of Niagara Falls? Go to the run-down aquarium? Snore. Check out the daredevil museum? Oh wait, that is now closed. There's nothing going on around there. There are no decent attractions where tourists could spend their money and inject it into the struggling local economy. All the action is on the Canadian side. So that is where most of the dollars, Canadian and American, end up going.

Niagara Falls needs to be an attractive place for tourists and residents alike. As far as the latter is concerned, who is going to want to live in a city full of toxic waste dumps and crime-filled neighborhoods? Who is going to want to live in a city with very few opportunities for employment? Right now the city is a haven for lowlife scum who abuse the welfare system. The productive class isn't rushing to live in Niagara Falls anytime soon. Neither are young hipsters, retirees, or anyone else besides parasitic scum.
Again, what would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top