Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:51 PM

20 posts, read 54,481 times

Advertisements

As the headline states, which area to focus on in Buffalo. Aiming at a single family home. I know I wont have a premium area but wish to avoid the really bad ones. Simply a lower/middle blue color class area with honest working people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 04:01 PM

879 posts, read 1,629,837 times
Depends on what you are looking for in a neighborhood. At 30-40K your pickings are going to be a bit slim and you'd better be handy. If you're not a racist or don't mind people who are poor, there are many areas of the city you could live quite comfortably. I wouldn't go any lower than 30. The area between bailey and main (in parts) is not so great near south campus. Landlords ran the place down for a bit and took their cash and banked it without re-investing into the area. Consider the auctions, you can do quite well.

There are crime stats websites but I wouldn't take them too seriously. Just be cautious about your property and don't stay out until 2AM looking for drugs and you'll be fine anywhere.

Go to www.2findyourhome.com and you'll see postings there. Post properties that you think are interesting.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:39 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
This can give you an idea of where you can find such homes: http://realtyusa.com/property/proper...LY&PageSize=30

Old 04-17-2013, 08:11 AM

252 posts, read 649,693 times
I think the pickings will be slim indeed at that level, but you might be able to find a small cottage or carriage house in a decent neighborhood at that price. Maybe somewhere on the West Side, or in the older neighborhoods of South Buffalo or the Old First Ward. Maybe somewhere in Cold Springs or Masten Park might work, but it depends on the street and even block in a lot of those neighborhoods.

I would say Black Rock or Riverside, but I'm not sure you'll be able to find anything quite so cheap, and those houses tend to be larger.

You can get a good deal at tax auctions, but it can also be a big undertaking and I have heard the closing process can be a nightmare. They won't give you the keys until you close, but in the meantime you may have busted pipes that are flooding the house and you can't get in to turn the water off. So if you go that route, just make sure you do a lot of due diligence before you bid.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:08 PM

289 posts, read 399,582 times
have you considered purchasing a nice mobile home in a nice area and then saving up enough money to purchase a house at a later time

Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
If you are willing to up your budget a litle bit, you can find smaller houses in places around Cheektowaga, closer to the city border that aren't terrible neighborhoods. In 2007, my wife and I lost out on a home that was literally right down the street from Cheektowaga town park, off Genesee (I believe it was on David Ave), that ended up selling for just over $50,000. The house was small, about 1,300 SF, and the lot wasn't much bigger, but it was a well built home, and I'd imagine the prices aren't much higher now.

Last edited by topchief1; 04-18-2013 at 08:13 AM..

Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM

20 posts, read 54,481 times
Thanks!

Old 04-18-2013, 06:59 PM

417 posts, read 867,223 times
South buffalo, the best side of buffalo for affordability and low crime relative to east and west sides

Old 04-19-2013, 06:09 PM

400 posts, read 575,364 times
Auction season for government auctions are mostly done for this year but you can have great success with those. There are several houses in Riverside right now under 50k.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:29 PM

400 posts, read 575,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith11 View Post

You can get a good deal at tax auctions, but it can also be a big undertaking and I have heard the closing process can be a nightmare. They won't give you the keys until you close, but in the meantime you may have busted pipes that are flooding the house and you can't get in to turn the water off. So if you go that route, just make sure you do a lot of due diligence before you bid.
I don't know what auctions your friends deal with but we never have had problems with closings on tax auctions and unless the place is occupied, we have never had keys. We meet the neighbors with the deed and ID so they dont call the police, then break the locks. The majority of the time the doors are already broken and just covered by wood. The closings are so simple because its not dealing with banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area