Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 03:29 PM

7 posts, read 10,236 times

Advertisements

I'm 19 years old and I will be living alone while going to college but I don't know much about the city

Is it safe? I don't plan to go out at night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 06:44 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Where do you plan on living?
Have you ever been to Buffalo before?

What do you mean by "safe"? "Safe" isn't binary, there's only less safe and more safe.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:21 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
"Buffalo" is a large metro area that includes the city itself, the surrounding suburbs, and exurban areas fairly close to the city. Without more specifics about where you're looking to live, we can't help you.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:06 AM

252 posts, read 649,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
"Buffalo" is a large metro area that includes the city itself, the surrounding suburbs, and exurban areas fairly close to the city. Without more specifics about where you're looking to live, we can't help you.
She did mention the city itself.

I have lived in the city of Buffalo for 9 years now, in the area just south of Delaware Park and in North Park, and have had zero problems. As a child, I lived here from the mid-'70s to the mid-'90s and I think the only significant crime problem my family had in all those years was one burglary.

Some areas of the city have larger crime problems than others, but even in poor neighborhoods you generally aren't likely to find trouble unless you are looking for it (buying drugs at 2 AM at a closed gas station, etc.). Use basic street smarts - don't walk around flashing expensive electronics, be aware of your surroundings, don't leave valuables visible in your parked car, go in a group when you go out late at night, etc. - and chances are you will have no problems.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:14 PM

69 posts, read 194,070 times
Like any city, the city of Buffalo has some very nice areas and some not-so-nice areas. If you give us specific areas within the city, we can tell you more. I've lived here two years and never have had any issues, so I consider it safe in general, but there are (of course) some neighborhoods where I wouldn't go walking at night...

Buffalo has several large colleges, so you wouldn't feel out of place. Many college students, especially those that go to Buffalo State College, live in the Elmwood Avenue area (which is quite safe and also really fun ... lots of restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc) and many also live in the University Heights neighborhood just west of UB South Campus. But there are many safe and interesting neighborhoods. Tell us what you are looking for and we can guide you.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:26 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,448 times
There is no place that is "safe". The better question is "what areas are the safest in Buffalo?". Buffalo gets a bad rap in the crime department. Most is centralized in certain areas of the city and you can easily tell which ones.

I haven't been to a lot of areas of Buffalo but Downtown is nice (though desolate), Elmwood Village, Allentown, some parts of the west side (its more street to street), and near Delaware park are all very nice. Lots of students live near South Campus but I wouldn't suggest it. A little sketchy for me. If you don't want the city you can live close on Hertel Ave. Italian area with plenty of shops and affordable rents plus you are close to Downtown and EV.

I haven't encountered any issues myself in the city. Some friends had some break ins, even in Elmwood. I was at the club where outside a girl got stabbed in the eye. But these things don't happen that often. It's a city, so you have to deal with crime sometimes. When I lived in Forest Hills Queens which is supposed to be one of the nicest areas in Queens, we had our car broken into on the street right around the corner.

If you are timid, then suburbs might work out better. Amherst which is right next to UB North or Tonawanda might be better for you. Buffalo is a great city with plenty to offer a young person so don't be scared. Just keep your head up and be aware of your surroundings like any person should.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:47 AM

879 posts, read 1,630,869 times
Well the Heights around South Campus gets a bad rap, but I have friends who have families there and it's hit or miss. There are some nice areas, some not so nice. He leaves his garage unlocked and stuff hasn't gone missing.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:44 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
Sara, its all relevant.

Where are you going to live?
Are you from a small town, rural or a large city?
You are 19; what college?
Have you ever lived alone before?
Do you have a car?
Etc, etc, etc....

If you are from some really small town somewhere, Buffalo will look different. If you are coming from NYC or its close area, you will think you are out in the boonies. Like I said, its relevant. Why not just dorm? You are 19, its a new city, live in a dorm for a term or two and then find an apt. You will make friends and not need to worry about being alone.

I came here over 44 years ago to start college and never left; I could not get my 2 daughters to even think about going away to school. You will either love it here or not. You will find good areas and ratty ones. Common sense will prevail for safety. Odds are you will go out at night ( probably even get stuck with a class or two at night somewhere)... you just need to be aware of the surroundings and pick what is the safest route or path and to go with others if you are unsure of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area