Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 01:32 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times

Advertisements

There are those on this thread who want Buffalo and WNY to be more attractive and keep the populations from fleeing. It is an honorable idea but many people have left and many people are considering the same. That is reason for this thread as to where to move and leave Buffalo

However, these same people decide that the best way to stop people from leaving is to denigrate and criticize those who left saying with much which is anecdotal and hearsay about the places others have successfully relocated. They tie their arguments to a few exceptions of people who have returned or relocated but that does not change the facts that people have fled and a many more are not being attracted to Buffalo.

What they really need more to do is to make the area more attractive and stop worrying about the issues where people have gone or are going because people will continue to leave WNY and Buffalo. Questionable trends that the area population has stabilized does not change the core idea because the area remains unattractive to businesses, entrepreneurs, educated people of vision and energy that will attract more people and make the area stronger. So that even if out migrations is declining, the area is still stagnant with the failure of in migration.

So, look to yourself, your city and your region and your state and fix your problems. Many of us who have left really desire for you to solve the problems; we want WNY and Buffalo to be much better place and be attractive for more people.

If matters not that think that your little world is the best; it matter not that you think other cities and regions are not a good place to live; It matters more to your prosperity and well being what others think and others mean people and businesses and investors--those are the ones you have to convince.

You will not be able to convince with an exaggerated importance of football because you have no ball and few players of importance in the game that really matters to the goal of attracting population; it has to be real changes and real fixes to the problems.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 01:50 PM

7,501 posts, read 4,348,215 times
Livecontent:
Quote:
"However, these same people decide that the best way to stop people from leaving is to denigrate and criticize those who left saying with much which is anecdotal and hearsay about the places others have successfully relocated. They tie their arguments to a few exceptions of people who have returned or relocated but that does not change the facts that people have fled and a many more are not being attracted to Buffalo."
Very well stated! Along with you entire post.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:57 PM

93,222 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
ckhthankgod:

Makes sense to me. Here in Arizona I have a $300,000 home that is equivalent to a $750,000 home in a nice section of Westchester County NY. My property taxes are $1526 a year and haven't gone up in the four years that I've been here. I remember when our house was for sale in Peekskill the cheapest home there was about $69,000 at that time. I have no idea what the taxes on that house were. Ours was over $10,000 for an 1100 sq. ft. house in what could be considered a better part of Peekskill. If our home in Peekskill was in Irvington, N.Y. the town where I grew up that same house and property would be close to a million, instead of the $285,000 that we sold it for. Irvington is only 20 miles south of Peekskill, just south of the Tappan Zee Bridge.
Yes, real property taxes will be lower in AZ, but they also collect property taxes through personal property as well there. It won't even out, but states collect property taxes in different ways.

Also, in the Buffalo area, that AZ home may be 200-225,000, given this information: Erie County, NY Housing

Maricopa County, AZ Housing

So, that is how housing can make a difference and how cost of living can vary within states.

Here is a good websites for looking at taxes by states: Taxes by State

Old 04-19-2014, 02:32 PM

7,501 posts, read 4,348,215 times
ckhthankgod:
Quote:
"Yes, real property taxes will be lower in AZ, but they also collect property taxes through personal property as well there."
I don't know, there might be certain localities that do collect taxes on personal property in Arizona, maybe on agricultural or business equipment? I really don't know. We have never had to pay any taxes on our personal property here in Arizona, only on our home. I know of other states that do, where you have to list all of your personal property including pets. I know this because I used to work for a business forms manufacturer and we printed the tax forms for many state and local governments.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:16 AM

49 posts, read 82,204 times
Has anyone else notice it's the same names that visit all the buffalo posts telling people it's not a good idea to move away from the state of NY? Baa haa ha. No matter what state anyone references to that they are leaving this #1 highest taxed state to relocate to they have something bad to report about that state. Dang they act as if they lived in every state and know it all!! I Wonder how much they get paid to visit blogs & make up lies to try and convince people not to leave NY and try to convince people to move here. problem is "Most of us are highly intelligent" enough to know because we've lived in NY that "NY is the #1 Highest taxed state in the " NATION" No matter what part of NY you live in.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
How much are your HOA fees? One of the ways that many areas in the southwest and south keep taxes low is by shifting public services to private ones through HOAs.

Seriously, get a clue. Peekskill is outside NYC. Buffalo is on the other side of the state. The median home value in Erie County NY is like $125k. Peekskill's is probably 3 or 4 times that.

OMG. Seriously you crack me up every time anyone mentions HOA'S Fees.!! I noticed you mentioned it in another post to someone about moving to SC. Let me give you a lesson in learning. Call a Realtor for these areas that you keep telling people that they will have to pay HOA fees and they will laugh at you because any Realtor will tell you when you search for a home to buy NOT ALL have HOA fees. ONLY some do but they can search for only homes with NO HOA'S if you request the Realtor in that area to do for you. So who ever told you that NYS has the highest taxes over all other states because NYS is the only state that does not have HOA fees has lied to you. Therefore "YES" it is possible to move out of the #1 highest taxed state of NY and move to a much thriving state while paying extremely low property taxes and all WITHOUT paying HOA. And being able to do anything you want on your own property.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
You know all this about taxes in Conway, SC even though you've never lived there? ROTFLMAO.

My friends who moved to South Carolina (Horry County in fact) didn't find that tax situation at all. First of all, there's two different tax rates, one for residents and one for non-residents. Then there's the sales tax which is on almost everything, which is about 9% I think, and has been increased about 3 times since my friends have moved there eight years ago. Then there's home owners insurance, which because most of Horry County is in danger of flooding and hurricanes, runs about $3k a year with a $10k deductible. Then there's HOA fees because the county and/or towns don't put in streets, water lines or sewers, the subdivision developer does -- and the subdivision is private property, so the owners in the subdivision pay for their roads, water lines, sewers, and maintenance of same through their HOA fees.

What surprises me is that you are still living in the Buffalo area. If Conway, SC is so much better, why haven't you left already?

Wow hit a sore spot??? Anyone who wants to learn the FACTS can call any Realtor THERE. Better yet take a vacation down there and meet with Realtor. I said I have college friends who DID leave Buffalo NY and bought property THERE. They night home in the country. YES you must live a shallow life to think they only have homes with HOA fees. Once again For the record... HOA is on some homes there NOT ALL!!! They told me most homes are built BRICK for cheaper insurance purposes. Therefore if you buy a trailer or double wide mobile home then yes insurance is going to be more. Why don't you look up death tolls on disasters you keep referring to. It's been years since any.. Know why?? The homes were built stronger with each disaster over the years that's why MOST are now brick. I'm trying to share my knowledge with people who may want to know what's outside of NY. All I'll say to anyone interested in leaning the facts I mentioned above is "Do your homework" Don't take my word OR his word for it. But I have no reason to mislead you. And Yes I Have friends who live in Aynor SC Horry County. Oh yeah for your question of why I'm still here... I have one year left of college and will be moving where family live. TN

Old 04-21-2014, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Linda_d:
Seriously, get a clue. If I had a $125k. home in Peekskill I'll bet the property taxes would be comparable to that of Erie County. Sure there's some nice neighborhoods as there are everywhere, but overall Peekskill like Buffalo is a run down dump of a city. Western New York is an industrial wasteland. I've been all over New York State during my lifetime being born and raised there. I've traveled throughout the country several times to 21 different states, in our quest to get out of that God awful state. I just thank God every day that I live in Arizona! Get your head out of the sand. New York State is one of, if not the most heavily taxed state in the nation. More people and businesses have left that state during the past decade than any other state. New York lost two congressional seats because of this. I can attest to the fact that you can have a far better quality of life living elsewhere. You really need to get out more and travel throughout the country to see what life is really like outside of Erie County. Otherwise you really have no idea what you're talking about.

If New York State was such a wonderful place to live then why are people leaving in record numbers? Ever wonder why they're running those ridiculous ads "Start Up NY" or the "New, New York? Basically, it's all the fault of the states government and the people who elected them and continue to do so. It once was known as the "Empire State" but is now known as the "Vampire State" because it sucks the economic life blood out of all of those who remain there. I worked for a company that was there for over 50 years that packed up and went to Virginia. Growing up I saw industry after industry leave the Hudson Valley for other locations throughout the country. They were all established businesses that could no longer afford to remain in that terrible state. Now they're begging to get them back, with offers of 10 year tax breaks. Problem is who is going to make up for the loss of tax revenue if the state gives these start up businesses a 10 year tax break? After 10 years those businesses will pack up and leave just as the one that I had worked for did. They too were given a 10 year tax break to get them to stay when they threatened to leave, when that expired they couldn't get out of there fast enough. I'm willing to bet that many of those 4.8 million foreign immigrants that have migrated to New York are in some way dependent on government. When you have a situation of more "takers" than "makers" don't expect anything to change anytime soon.

Very nicely said!!! People ARE leaving NYS for several reasons. Two top reasons #1 Highest taxed state in the NATION
#2. Too much Government control

Old 04-21-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Livecontent:

Ain't that the truth! Free at last!

All the highly educated intellect ones are leaving. more of us who leave... The more taxes go up for the ones who stay to make up for it.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
There are those on this thread who want Buffalo and WNY to be more attractive and keep the populations from fleeing. It is an honorable idea but many people have left and many people are considering the same. That is reason for this thread as to where to move and leave Buffalo

However, these same people decide that the best way to stop people from leaving is to denigrate and criticize those who left saying with much which is anecdotal and hearsay about the places others have successfully relocated. They tie their arguments to a few exceptions of people who in have returned or relocated but that does not change the facts that people have fled and a many more are not being attracted to Buffalo.

What they really need more to do is to make the area more attractive and stop worrying about the issues where people have gone or are going because people will continue to leave WNY and Buffalo. Questionable trends that the area population has stabilized does not change the core idea because the area remains unattractive to businesses, entrepreneurs, educated people of vision and energy that will attract more people and make the area stronger. So that even if out migrations is declining, the area is still stagnant with the failure of in migration.

So, look to yourself, your city and your region and your state and fix your problems. Many of us who have left really desire for you to solve the problems; we want WNY and Buffalo to be much better place and be attractive for more people.

If matters not that think that your little world is the best; it matter not that you think other cities and regions are not a good place to live; It matters more to your prosperity and well being what others think and others mean people and businesses and investors--those are the ones you have to convince.

You will not be able to convince with an exaggerated importance of football because you have no ball and few players of importance in the game that really matters to the goal of attracting population; it has to be real changes and real fixes to the problems.

Livecontent
I couldn't have said it better myself. Extremely well said!! I still live here but will be moving to Tenn very soon. Goodbye NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area