Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:04 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Promises, promises, promises.

Undoubtedly, like ex New Yorker and Live Content, you'll continue to show up here to remind us about great it is there and how bad it is here.

Don't let the door hit ya in the arse on the way out.
Ah, but you also left, you moved to Jamestown. Now, that is actually what I also thought I would do. I did not like Buffalo and Cheektowaga where I grew up. I always have said that that the small towns of WNY or Central NY were great and I would perhaps I would have been happy there. If you check my posts, you will find those comments. If it was not for the Army, I would perhaps have been your neighbor or your husband!

However, I believe the area needs a strong core city and Buffalo is not. You have said something of the same in your many well done posts about the areas of Buffalo. Yes, I am impressed by what you know about Buffalo and its history of despair and failures. I only know more of the actuality of those early failures because I lived through that time.

The only difference is between you an me, is that I am older and moved sooner and you are younger and moved later but we both moved--it is only a difference of the miles we moved.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 04-21-2014 at 06:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 11:44 PM

49 posts, read 82,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Linda_d

It seems like you are a little outnumbered, do I detect a sense of envy? At least we have had the experience of living in different places and are better qualified to make an accurate comparison. I don't have to worry about the door, I'm already out, apparently that same door is keeping you in. Slammed shut as a matter of fact.
Yes she is envied. I noticed on a Buffalo NY blog where they stated all the good they are "going" to do for that city to "try" to make it more appealing for people to move to. She put down that person saying buffalo always promised to build bigger and better but NEVER follows through. She even had a list of promises over the years that she started they never kept. And she leaves buffalo NY for Jamestown NY which is just miles away from the PA border. Looks like she is one to complain on other blogs about buffalo NY yet on this one she defends it. Can someone say split personality?

Old 04-22-2014, 04:52 AM

879 posts, read 1,630,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Exactly. Arizona will be in the same bind. Colorado won't be quite so bad, at least for a while. Desalinized water is not cheap, and these states can't expect the fed -- ie, the rest of the US taxpayers -- to fund their water systems as they have in the past.
They don't have to. Municipal water system are for sale. For example, Veolia runs the water in Buffalo and uses this profit to subsidize more expensive places where the run the water such as Los Angeles.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:17 AM

7,501 posts, read 4,349,181 times
Northerner89:
I find that the only people that justify living in New York are the ones who voted for, supported and continue to support the politicians and policies that are responsible for the state's demise. They are in complete denial.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Northerner89:
I find that the only people that justify living in New York are the ones who voted for, supported and continue to support the politicians and policies that are responsible for the state's demise. They are in complete denial.
Again, I think it is more about the pros and cons of living in any place, not so much about being in denial about issues. For instance, I thought it was odd that you didn't know about the personal property tax in AZ, but here it is: http://www.azdor.gov/Portals/0/Broch...rty-Manual.pdf

Taxes by State: Alabama to Iowa

Arizona Property Tax - Arizona Department of Revenue

Old 04-22-2014, 08:50 AM

ckhthankgod:
Yes I do know about personal property tax in Arizona.
Quote:
"Personal property includes property used for commercial, industrial, residential, and agricultural purposes. It also includes improvements on possessory rights (IPRs) and certain leasehold improvements. Personal property is subject to property tax, except for inventory of a manufacturer, wholesaler or retailer, as well as livestock, personal household goods, and certain other specifically exempted items. A.R.S. §§ 42-11102"
Personal household goods are not taxed. Motor Vehicles are taxed when you register them each year instead of calling it a registration fee Arizona calls it a personal property tax. If you will read that manual it specifically states what is considered "personal property". Some of the items that are considered personal property are already in your home and are part of our annual property tax bill. Most of the items that are considered personal property are used for commercial, industrial and agricultural purposes.

Quote:
"Arizona also taxes personal property, which is defined as all types of property except real estate. Taxable personal property includes property used for commercial, industrial and agricultural purposes. Personal property is considered to be movable and not permanently attached to real estate."
Homeowners, renters etc. do not have to list or keep inventory of their personal possessions for taxable purposes other than for those stated purposes.

Quote:
"Again, I think it is more about the pros and cons of living in any place, not so much about being in denial about issues."
Good point! Having lived in both New York and Arizona, I can unequivocally state that the quality of life in Arizona is much better than living in the State of New York, the pro's far out weigh the con's. I think a lot of people are in denial, they just can't come to grips that the political party and the policies that they support are the source of such abject misery that people would pack up and leave their beloved state. Otherwise why do they keep on electing the same type of government over and over again? New York State does indeed lead the nation in out migration, there are plenty of articles to prove this. Here is but one such article:

Quote:
Census Shows Many Leaving New York - The New York Sun
http://www.nysun.com/new-york/census...ny-leaving-new...
More people are leaving New York than any other state, new population estimates from the U.S. Census show, making it one of America's most stagnant populations.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 04-22-2014 at 09:19 AM..

Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
ckhthankgod:
Yes I do know about personal property tax in Arizona.

Personal household goods are not taxed. Motor Vehicles are taxed when you register them each year instead of calling it a registration fee Arizona calls it a personal property tax. If you will read that manual it specifically states what is considered "personal property". Some of the items that are considered personal property are already in your home and are part of our annual property tax bill. Most of the items that are considered personal property are for commercial, industrial and agricultural purposes.

Homeowners, renters etc. do not have to list or keep inventory of their personal possessions for taxable purposes other than for those stated purposes.
Isn't the vehicle property tax just the vehicle license tax? There were a couple of examples of how it is conducted on the second link. I believe it goes down each year and I'm assuming that this is for all vehicles.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:31 AM

ckhthankgod:
Quote:
"Isn't the vehicle property tax just the vehicle license tax? There were a couple of examples of how it is conducted on the second link. I believe it goes down each year and I'm assuming that this is for all vehicles."
I believe you are correct, and yes it does go down each year. I have three vehicles and the cost of registering them including the "vehicle license tax" is still cheaper than the annual registration fee in New York. Other than Phoenix which is every two years, we do not have to have our vehicles inspected annually. I think in Arizona what we call a tax other states call a fee, same thing though. Just makes it a bit more confusing.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:25 AM

Interesting, given the example given in the second link and I don't know if using an experience in Peekskill is relevant to one in the Buffalo area in terms of fees and costs.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:43 PM

ckhthankgod:
Quote:
"Interesting, given the example given in the second link and I don't know if using an experience in Peekskill is relevant to one in the Buffalo area in terms of fees and costs."
I think it all has to do with the cost of living and doing business in New York State, while there will be differences in these different areas it's all relevant. We at one time looked at a home in Walton, N.Y. which was $80,000 and the property taxes were around $4,000, at the time our home in Peekskill was around $200,000 and the property taxes were around $7,500. By using that formula as a percentage of home value the taxes in Walton were higher. So, technically the cost of living in Walton was cheaper. However when it comes time to sell, the home will be worth a lot less. I guess it all depends on where you live and how those communities levy the taxes. I'm sure that the average incomes for those areas has a lot to do with fees, costs and taxes. At any rate there's no doubt about it New York State is an expensive place to live and do business. Once you get out of there and realize that other states, all have the same services as New York at about 1/8th the cost, at least for Arizona, you really have to wonder where all that money is going and why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area