Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:36 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What on earth does a mobile home cost there?
A mobile home? Selling for? In Buffalo? There aren't any trailer parks that I'm aware of within city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 09:56 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXChristian View Post
Thanks for the wonderful post FedupWNY!

Our family came to Buffalo in August for our vacation. We had thought for over a year that was where we were meant to be. To be in a town that is admittedly economically challenged and at the same time has such a wealth of resources was amazing. Such beauty everywhere, even in the poorest parts of town. The Falls, beyond words! People from all over the world. I have to tell you we come from a small town in Northeast Texas and this was a BIG deal!! The restaurants were fantastic, great food and wonderful service too. The Botanical Gardens, the Zoo, Delaware Park and my personal favorite Wegmans!!! And such amazingingly beautiful countryside all around Buffalo.

My husband applied for a job while we were there and they called him after we got home and hired him!

We so look forward to being there to see spring arrive. We will be there in February and will get to see some real snow too! Can't wait to house shop in those wonderful old homes that have stood the test of time and cost less than a mobile home here!

We don't know what it is like to live in Buffalo full time, but we are excited about the opportunity to find out. Our newly married daughter and her husband plan to join us there in about a year as well.

Have a great day!
You need to READ, FedUp. I was asking the thread starter how much a mobile home cost where she lives... see the BOLD above. Gees.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:20 PM

BuffaloTransplant, I gave you a pos rep of which I replied to.

When you quote an entire reply, whereas non-specifically replying of which you're asking a question.... it can be confusing to a "newbee" who knows not where every poster on this message forum is from. respectfully, I made a mistake, I'm sorry, but you can have the positive rep I left for you because most of time I think you're of wise-posting.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:23 PM

17 posts, read 59,091 times
Generally speaking mobile homes are on land in the country here, not in parks. It is not unusual for a doublewide home on a couple of acres to be $75,000 or more. The land here is what is so expensive, ranging from $4,000 to $10,000 per acre. The real estate in and around Buffalo is drastically cheaper than most anywhere in Texas with the exception of far south Texas.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:47 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXChristian View Post
Generally speaking mobile homes are on land in the country here, not in parks. It is not unusual for a doublewide home on a couple of acres to be $75,000 or more. The land here is what is so expensive, ranging from $4,000 to $10,000 per acre. The real estate in and around Buffalo is drastically cheaper than most anywhere in Texas with the exception of far south Texas.
Yeah it depends.... in Erie county AFAIK you can't have a trailer unless its in a designated trailer park.. and they are around .. maybe not in actual CITY limits but they are around Erie county. Usually you can buy the used trailer on the lot for like ~$10000 and then lot rent is like $200 a month.

If you want a trailer outside of a park on your own property in Erie county, technically its not allowed (in Erie) but the way you can do it if you want to i think all you have to do is pour a foundation, take the trailer off the wheels and then place it on the foundation. Making it more of a modular home in a sense .. tho Ive never dealt with all this personally nor do I know anyone who has. But thats how I heard that it works.

Acreage .. uhm that can be comparable to TX it depends. I had a friend who had 15 acres WAY out in the southern teir (maybe an hour, hour and a half away) I think he paid $15000 for it. So that was cheap. My dad owns like not even an acre in the town of Boston next to Coldon (this is Southtowns and the more rural part) and I think he paid i dunno maybe $4000 for it a while ago (Tho no idea whats it like now.. im not in the market for land, a house in the city yes, but not land like people tend to buy). Taxes depend on what services are on the lots and all that. Like I think the property my dad owns is still undeveloped so the taxes are low on it (well water, etc)

I would just shop around cause thats how you will always get the best deal at the best price. And with the whole region in general not being a booming type of area, its not like its being bought up or you'll be priced out, etc. so theres no need to rush anything

Old 12-06-2007, 09:39 PM

130 posts, read 173,044 times
Default Question about your opinion of a Buffalo "upswing"

Dear FedUP-
I have a questions about the housing you spoke of in one of your above posts, the one where you mentioned "beware" of the beautiful old Victorian homes in the bad sections... (and I agree, I've seen them and the areas)

Here's the thing--Buffalo DOES strike one as beautiful, in certain terms. There are the court houses (including the new one on Pearl, I think it is), and the shining domes of various buildings and stautes atop... It looks as though Buffalo in the last however many years is doing some serious "cleaning up" (Chippewa Street, I think) which I've seen happen in other cities.

For instance, in the early 80's San Diego had *severe* problems in the downtown area. Street walkers, drug addicts, and shootings were typical of the down town ambiance... But then the city made concerted efforts to "clean up"... Friends decided to buy a house in a section called "Golden Hill" for 20K. It was a run down Victorian in a frightening section close to down town, but located a few minutes driving distance away. At the time a garage size house in a nice neighborhood was going for about 100K. I thought they were looney. But they bought it, renovated...almost 30 years later it's worth A LOT. San Diego started their "clean up" by plunking a huge post-modern mall structure (Horton Plaza) right in the middle of the worst neighborhood, then attacking what became known as the "Gaslamp Quarter" (now trendy little shops and restaurants)...

Is Buffalo planning some similar startegy? The structures down town are lovely (with the exception of a few eye-sore parking structures which appear to have been built in the 80's), and one can't hope that people are willing (or is it daring?) enough to take a chance and try to rebuild some of the surrounding neighborhoods. The old Victorians have potential.

I mean, Buffalo does have a tourism base (like San Diego) with the close proximity to an international border, (like San Diego), natural attractions--ie Niagra Falls (like San Diego's ocean and mts), and the city seems committed to revitalization. So is the problem with the past/present financial woes of Erie County? What do you think the solutions can be found? Is it urban planning? Better managed infrastructure? (you obviously aren't thrilled with local govt, so I won't even ask that question) *Besides* government appropriation for pet projects, where's there a ***** in this Dragon's armour?

Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 PM

130 posts, read 173,044 times
Default oops

the last bleeped out word in that post means "hole" and rhymes with blink. I did not post a profanity.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Dear FedUP-
I have a questions about the housing you spoke of in one of your above posts, the one where you mentioned "beware" of the beautiful old Victorian homes in the bad sections...
My post Ham, was specific to the type of neighborhood which is of higher crime areas. There are Old Victorian houses throughout Buffalo that are in "better" neighborhoods, but parts of the East & West sides were non-discouraging of "Old Victorian". My post was "buyer-beware" if shopping sight unseen.... related to crime areas & where house flipping most occurs.

Quote:
Is Buffalo planning some similar startegy?
I wish.

Quote:
The old Victorians have potential.
I couldn't agree more, but unless this city runs into some real cash flow (aka federal attention/$$$), all we can do is hope for the best for some of the "bad" neighborhoods of which every city, in every state country-wide has.

Copy & paste, your questions Ham are in bold....

I mean, Buffalo does have a tourism base (like San Diego) with the close proximity to an international border, --- yes we do.

and the city seems committed to revitalization. --- committed in the sense of politicians "talking about revitalization" as per their (re)elections.

So is the problem with the past/present financial woes of Erie County? ---- Buffalo's biggest problem is that it's within Erie County.

What do you think the solutions can be found? --- as per "cheap housing" in bad neighborhoods? We need more attention brought to the house flipping issue of this area. (House flipping is generally housing/property purchased "sight unseen" over the internet that is in the worst conditions & sometimes "stripped" of its copper from cash and new "owners" sell the same as proir owners sold to them..... "beautiful Victorian home, great neighborhood, excellent condition/minor repairs.... "

it's flipped as someone else's "problem" and so goes the cycle of hundreds of houses over the internet. Areas of Cleveland are in the same problem. Areas of "flipping" mostly occur in areas of which are high crime, drugs/gangs/robbery/murders.

(you obviously aren't thrilled with local govt, so I won't even ask that question) --- County, not city.... there is a difference. Buffalo while in... is not "Erie County" per say. Erie County government has very little say in how our city is run (thank goodness), what's holding us back mostly is a control board of which was not needed but Buffalo (IMO) had to be made the example of prior to Erie County being in "fiscal ruins". I honestly beleive Buffalo got the short end of the stick of Erie County being bad governing, whereas a year (or so) later Erie County became under a control board therein.

*Besides* government appropriation for pet projects, where's there a ***** in this Dragon's armour? ---- I'm trying the rhyming game alphabetically, blink, clink, flink, glink, plink, slink, (b, c, f, g, p & s) to see what is filtered.

However, appropriation of "pet projects" usually come from State Assembly "member item lines" but for some reason it's become the norm of the Erie County legislature...... not as per Buffalo (the city) to where people assume it's an entire region expanding further than Erie County. When it's not. We (Buffalo) can't control the County (but should as its largest city) we have to settle for the brow beatings others send us. It's sad. I hate Erie County, but I have so much love for Buffalo. Can you see that?

Last edited by FedupWNY; 12-06-2007 at 11:08 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 01:27 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich View Post
the last bleeped out word in that post means "hole" and rhymes with blink. I did not post a profanity.
Do you seriously not know why that word was censored?

I know thats a common expression but the word is also a racist slur against Chinese people and language filtering software just has a word list - its not looking for context

Old 12-07-2007, 03:21 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
Sorry, FedUp. Didn't mean to get you upset.... I know there are no mobile homes in the city. Actually, in some areas, they might be a solution to the urban blight! Better yet, modulars put where the older blighted homes are. (Our neighbor's kid put one out here and it is nicer than most stick built houses, on a full basement, etc -- can't tell it isn't stick built at all).... some blighted areas of the innner city get all the federal low cost new homes and maybe, to revitalize the city, those areas should be trashed and NEW MARKET VALUE homes put there. If you didn't know the area and saw those federal subsidized homes, you might think it was a good palce to live...

However, the poster was delighted wanting to get an older home for less money than a mobile where she lived. I find it sad that so many people go to mobiules for outrageous cost ( she said $70K where she is) as regular homes are higher.

Anyone coming here needs to really do homework on neighborhoods. There are gorgeous homes all over the city... problem is that you could find a phenomenal one in the midst of a rotten area and get scammed by the person selling it.... you need to know where you are and go thru the area many times before you commit. Doesn't matter if it is city or burbs, homework is a must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area