U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2013, 09:11 AM

3,858 posts, read 5,343,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNonmind89 View Post
I loved the dutch mill!
Dutch Mill is still there. It isn't the same as the the 1970s.

Someone asked about D&L Plaza. Still there, has the Tops and lots of stores, no flea market.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 10:42 AM

341 posts, read 283,259 times
Unfortunatley, Perry's ice cream across from Riverside Park is closed However, it re-opened after a long hiatus on Gallatin and Ontario

Old 03-02-2013, 08:28 AM

448 posts, read 547,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorawatcher View Post
Yes Balo's horse meat on weck. But they were some of the best weck sandwichs around.
It's spelled "BAILO'S" for "Bailey and Lovejoy". Here's some of my "A-List;
-Friday night fish fries most any corner bar in town
-Quality Bakery, Seneca St.- donuts
-Haas Bakery, N. Ogden St.- hard rolls, wecks (as in "Beef on Weck")
-Leonardo's restaurant,- Franklin & Chippewa, cozy Italian dining
-Mike Blab's restaurant- Genesee at City Line, German dining, interior wall murals
-Your Host restaurants- WOW burger, free coffee refills
-Deco restaurants- 24/7 breakfast, Courier-Express copies at the counter
-Wurzburger Hof- N. Bailey, best lunch specials
-Flays- Delaware Ave, best live lunchtime entertainment
-Sculpture Room- Chippewa and Delaware, best mens haircut and styling
-United Mens Shop- N. Bailey near Kensington, men's urban fashionwear
-Wicks Luncheonette- Bailey and Martha St., greasy burgers, nice homemade candies
-Red Brick Inn and Villa Restaurant- most entertaining 3AM brawls between Irishmen and Italians in the middle of South Park Ave.
-One Eyed Cat- Bryant St., interior design, lighting, very romantic place to take a date
- Mr. Langs- Fillmore and Main, basement disco, loud music, cute coeds
-Bishop Colton high school, near St. Stan's, Friday night dances, beautiful Polish girls
-Dnipro, Genesee St. near Jefferson, occasional dances, beautiful Ukrainian girls, billiard -tables
-Scotties restaurant, Jefferson Ave. "Whopper" sandwich
-Lovejoy theatre- 25 cent Saturday matinee and a milk shake at the soda bar on Lovejoy and N. Ogden
-Downtown shopping
-Broadway and Fillmore shopping
- all the well known city attractions interspersed with the above personal recollections. It seems the City went to hell after the riots of the 60's, rise of suburbia and the end of the manufacturing economy. It's been so long now since I lived in Buffalo, that I don't think about it much any more. Now and then however, something in my mind calls up a distant memory and a laugh for the "good old days".

Last edited by xnyer; 03-02-2013 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 03-02-2013, 12:56 PM

888 posts, read 685,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Dutch Mill is still there. It isn't the same as the the 1970s.

Someone asked about D&L Plaza. Still there, has the Tops and lots of stores, no flea market.
if I remember right D&L was a supermarket that was there before the flea market

Also remember that fool that was good at screwing up tattoo's there about time of flea market

What about the old Twin Driven's across from Twin Fair

Old 03-03-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
what about Shane and the WYSL (Whistle) Missile

or WKBW AND Dan Burns

What about the Blue Bird bakery and of course a real relic was the Rib Eye sandwiches that the Anchor bar had before the world discovered the wings.

just for reference: Anchor bars suicide wings were kind of hot
COOL, How about Joey Reynolds and the "Royal Order of the Night People" and Tommy Shannon on WKBW. WUFO for Motown and Doo-Wop, WNIA for their dedication night on Saturdays (talk about teenage angst). Saturday afternoon street racing on Exchange St., since the length of Graphic Controls building was exactly 1/4 mile. Parking down at Front Park if you had a girlfriend or just cruising the park if you were a "lone wolf".

Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyer View Post
COOL, How about Joey Reynolds and the "Royal Order of the Night People" and Tommy Shannon on WKBW. WUFO for Motown and Doo-Wop, WNIA for their dedication night on Saturdays (talk about teenage angst). Saturday afternoon street racing on Exchange St., since the length of Graphic Controls building was exactly 1/4 mile. Parking down at Front Park if you had a girlfriend or just cruising the park if you were a "lone wolf".
remember Shanes WYSL MYSL (WHISTLE MISSLE) the stock car?

back in the day ... fishing off the break wall under the Peace Bridge - had to get to it from foot of Ferry

and the boat races at Blackrock or maybe Riverside (I forget)

Ya know whats cool as all get out? They got a Low Rider shop on the west side!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
remember Shanes WYSL MYSL (WHISTLE MISSLE) the stock car?

back in the day ... fishing off the break wall under the Peace Bridge - had to get to it from foot of Ferry

and the boat races at Blackrock or maybe Riverside (I forget)

Ya know whats cool as all get out? They got a Low Rider shop on the west side!
I remember WYSL playing classical music. Is Danny Neaverth still around? There used to be this great Irish singer named Niall Donoghue that played the ballroom in the old Lackawanna Hotel and the Irish club on Abbot Rd., I wonder if he is still around. BTW, did anyone mention the Botanical Gardens in South Park? A real treasure.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I remember WYSL playing classical music. Is Danny Neaverth still around? There used to be this great Irish singer named Niall Donoghue that played the ballroom in the old Lackawanna Hotel and the Irish club on Abbot Rd., I wonder if he is still around. BTW, did anyone mention the Botanical Gardens in South Park? A real treasure.
Danny Neaverth? who there is a blast from the past ... don't know whats up back there ... I fled in the early 80's

Old 04-07-2013, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,932 times
Default Martucci's Pizza

Most every time we go out for pizza anywhere, I alway's compare it to Joe's. Less than a handful have ever measured up, ever. I first went to Martucci's when we moved to the neighborhood back in 66'. I was 9. Lived on the corner of Doat & Zelmer, a block from Schiller Park. Left the area in 75' and visited on occasion. Joe's was the first place I'd stop after I get back for a visit. I remember back in 85' when I went back to Buffalo on family business, I had a great chat with Joe. He told me he'd been in business for 34 years at that time. Still remember the tele. number on the box: TX3-3922. Still miss his pizzas! Great memories!

Old 04-08-2013, 12:24 PM

3,858 posts, read 5,343,664 times
Quote:
It's spelled "BAILO'S" for "Bailey and Lovejoy". Here's some of my "A-List;
-Friday night fish fries most any corner bar in town
-Quality Bakery, Seneca St.- donuts
-Haas Bakery, N. Ogden St.- hard rolls, wecks (as in "Beef on Weck")
-Leonardo's restaurant,- Franklin & Chippewa, cozy Italian dining
-Mike Blab's restaurant- Genesee at City Line, German dining, interior wall murals
-Your Host restaurants- WOW burger, free coffee refills
-Deco restaurants- 24/7 breakfast, Courier-Express copies at the counter
-Wurzburger Hof- N. Bailey, best lunch specials
-Flays- Delaware Ave, best live lunchtime entertainment
-Sculpture Room- Chippewa and Delaware, best mens haircut and styling
-United Mens Shop- N. Bailey near Kensington, men's urban fashionwear
-Wicks Luncheonette- Bailey and Martha St., greasy burgers, nice homemade candies
-Red Brick Inn and Villa Restaurant- most entertaining 3AM brawls between Irishmen and Italians in the middle of South Park Ave.
-One Eyed Cat- Bryant St., interior design, lighting, very romantic place to take a date
- Mr. Langs- Fillmore and Main, basement disco, loud music, cute coeds
-Bishop Colton high school, near St. Stan's, Friday night dances, beautiful Polish girls
-Dnipro, Genesee St. near Jefferson, occasional dances, beautiful Ukrainian girls, billiard -tables
-Scotties restaurant, Jefferson Ave. "Whopper" sandwich
-Lovejoy theatre- 25 cent Saturday matinee and a milk shake at the soda bar on Lovejoy and N. Ogden
-Downtown shopping
-Broadway and Fillmore shopping
- all the well known city attractions interspersed with the above personal recollections. It seems the City went to hell after the riots of the 60's, rise of suburbia and the end of the manufacturing economy. It's been so long now since I lived in Buffalo, that I don't think about it much any more. Now and then however, something in my mind calls up a distant memory and a laugh for the "good old days".
Unbelievable! Someone who remembers Leonardos ( the grotto was fantastic), Your Host's WOW... lots of what you have are things my hubby ( a local) doesn't remember while I ( a transplant) do!

Was Bailos really "horsemeat"? Always the rumor, but always great sandwiches!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area