U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:06 AM

2,988 posts, read 5,590,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
Now you are dating yourself! Do you know the address? I think the building is still standing, but I was so small when I used to go there with my Grandmother that I don't remember if this is the place:

I remember rows and rows of toys- boxed and also loose where you could by individual pieces like plastic army soldiers. Good memories.
That looks like the building, we used to walk there and complain about our feet hurting.... never hurting enough to pick out 20 toys we really, really wanted, begged for. Then we got them for Christmas that year. LOL. That was the best little store. Wow!!! I forgot about the plastic army soldiers. Thanks for the great reminder. I got my first set of jacks there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 12:35 PM

39 posts, read 96,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
That looks like the building, we used to walk there and complain about our feet hurting.... never hurting enough to pick out 20 toys we really, really wanted, begged for. Then we got them for Christmas that year. LOL. That was the best little store. Wow!!! I forgot about the plastic army soldiers. Thanks for the great reminder. I got my first set of jacks there.
I might do a post on it for Buffalo Rising. I remember getting some tablets that you put in water and 'grew' mermaids. LOL!!!!

I didn't go there often, but my family's roots are in the Genesee/Bailey area; back in the day, anything past Moselle Street was the "bad area"- so in my grandparents' eyes- Gobieski's neighborhood wasn't safe.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:41 PM

2,988 posts, read 5,590,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
I might do a post on it for Buffalo Rising. I remember getting some tablets that you put in water and 'grew' mermaids. LOL!!!!

I didn't go there often, but my family's roots are in the Genesee/Bailey area; back in the day, anything past Moselle Street was the "bad area"- so in my grandparents' eyes- Gobieski's neighborhood wasn't safe.
I remember a day when I had a dollar, forget why I had a whole dollar though, but we went and I left with a bag full of toys. I got a yo-yo and a doll, I forget what else. I was very young that day, but I knew I had a whole dollar and I'd spend it all. I remember it was the summertime and I was skipping along home because I couldn't wait to play with my new doll. To this day, I never knew of a place like Gobieski's toy store.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:53 PM

899 posts, read 724,781 times
I miss the food so much ...

When I go I always stock up with at very least 25 pound of Italian sausage on Grant street and try to get bread over on Bailey, and got the warehouse area to get my whole tube of Sorento provolone and other treats as the urge hits.

Even try to do the Anchor Bar run ... even did the suicide wings there

Let's not forget hitting the Galleria and grabbing a bite at the Showcase restaurant and hit Antoinette's on Transit road for a dose of Orange Chocolates.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:09 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,502,265 times
I was 6 years old when I left Buffalo, my last visit there was in 86. However; I do remember things about Buffalo that have made a impression on me.

I lived in Buffalo in the 50's so I assume not much is there that I remember. I lived in Amhurst. My grandparents lived on Kensington and my other grandmother lived on Warwick off Bailey Ave. My uncle and aunt lived in Kensington and friends of family lived in Tonawanda.
There was a bakery in Amhurst on Kensington that was the best bakery, I believe it was a German bakery. I remember the best roast beef sandwiches I have ever eaten and the best fish frys.

I will never go back to Buffalo to visit but memories of it were delightful.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,076 times
Swiss chalet with chickens on spits in the window.Saturday all-day movie theater on main street (Kung-fu Hi-ya)Beef on weck since they don't know what a weck roll is in Tampa.Dairy delivery when I was about 5, the milk had cream on it .The hot tamale man!

Old 06-06-2009, 05:17 PM

13 posts, read 28,890 times
Let's see:

Downtown Department Stores Christmas Windows!
Jet Donuts on Sheridan Drive in Kenmore just past the RR tracks near Colvin.
Downtown Department Stores "Nice" restaurants - going there with Mom to learn how to eat properly!
AM&A's
Kobachers
Sattlers 998 Broadway (THE BEST!)
Hengerers
Hens & Kelly's
Jenss
LL Bergers
Deco Restaurants
Your Host Restarants
Courier Express - we used to get BOTH newspapers - great with TWO FULL COMIC SECTIONS every Sunday!
Aulds Nurserys (one on Sheridan Drive, one on Delaware Ave in Kenmore)
All the great CHOCOLATE/Ice Cream Shops - Watsons, Linerts on Elmwood in Kenmore...ORANGE CHOCOLATE!!! - to this day, nobody's chocolate beats Buffalo's Chocolate...
Loblaws, Acme, Nu-Way,Twin Fair, A&P, Bells supermarkets chains.
Central Terminal when it was FULL as a functioning Train Station!
Being able to see the PLANES from the roof observation deck of the old Buffalo Airport
The MANY local banks - "SAVINGS" banks - Buffalo Savings, Erie County Savings, Western Savings, Marine Midland (now HSBC)
Spooley The Train Man in Buffalo (for toy trains - Lionell and American Flyer)
Penny's (on Delaware Ave. in Kenmore) and Renny's on Roswell in Riverside - Mom & Pop grocery stores on the first floor of a home with a big porch in front - they had them all over!

and, last but not least - don't know if it's still there: Black Rock Beverages off Hertle in Black Rock section of Buffalo!

Iroquois Beer
Bison Beer
Simon Pure Beer
and the others...

WKBW Radio in the 50's and 60's - Sandy Beach, HoundDog, Joey Reynolds!!!

I almost forgot...

Helds Bakery in Sheridan Plaza - cream filled horns and chocolate pastry hearts!
and Berzenski's Bakery on Military in Kenmore near Kenmore Avenue (or was it Elmwood?) - had the best "hard rolls" (kaiser rolls - crusty outside - really soft inside) and their cheezecake and crumbcake (like sweet bread)...
and Federal Meat Markets - are they still around?

Last edited by JohnMarko; 06-06-2009 at 05:38 PM..

Old 06-06-2009, 05:23 PM

13 posts, read 28,890 times
Peanut AND Coconut Sticks!!! I would trade my SOUL for some!!!

Where oh where can I find these gems anymore - my Parents used to pack a BIG box and bring them when then visited us in Honolulu for the winters...Jet Donuts...nothing like the currant "red" jelly instead of the raspberry they tend to use now...

Old 06-07-2009, 07:11 PM

414 posts, read 989,782 times
Anyone remember the marching band that used to march down Edison ave from the Langfield projects on the weekends in the summer 25 or so years ago?

Old 06-07-2009, 07:39 PM

899 posts, read 724,781 times
what about Shane and the WYSL (Whistle) Missile

or WKBW AND Dan Burns

What about the Blue Bird bakery and of course a real relic was the Rib Eye sandwiches that the Anchor bar had before the world discovered the wings.

just for reference: Anchor bars suicide wings were kind of hot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area