U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 11:03 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,364,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
... their coffee was pretty good ... at least the one in the Westside Plaza
we used to go there after our dance recitals at Kleinhans Music Hall...the your host on delaware where seedy smelly old men used to spend the whole day nursing a cup of coffee and pouring over the courier express...and bitchy waitresses with cigs dangling out of their mouths used to bark orders to vinny the short order guy...I recall very greasy hamburgers, and rye toast for some odd reason with grape jelly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 12,258 times
Roc Mar Bowling alley, After Dark, Stage 1, Henry's Hamburgers on Hertel, Bocce Club and Leonardi's for pizza.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:33 AM

17 posts, read 58,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerPark View Post
Things I miss about Buffalo:

The Commodore dance club
Haas Bakery
Lougus Pizza
Villa Maria lawn fetes
walking to school with tons of kids in your neighborhood
coming home for lunch
graduating from grammar school with kids you've known since kindergarten
singing Christmas carols in school on the last day before Christmas vacation
Ja Fa Fa Hots
CYO dances
Sound like you used to live near me. I lived on Doat St. and Wood Ave. Attended #11 school. How is that area now?

Old 08-08-2009, 11:17 AM

2,972 posts, read 7,338,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doat View Post
Sound like you used to live near me. I lived on Doat St. and Wood Ave. Attended #11 school. How is that area now?
I remember "free lunches" at Schiller Park, then going swimming at the pool.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:58 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,050,781 times
Your Host - loved the open faced roast beef sandwich
Arrow Lanes - where they taped "Beat the Champ"
Original Mighty Taco - open til 4am or later - kept Hertel lively
Bona Vista - home of Spyro Gyra
McVans - the best dive music club from the 1920s to the 1980s
The Masthead - live Punk, with live punks attending
The Schuper House - great jazz, great 1800's bar building with old drinking murals
Amherst Roller Rink - preteen hangout
Amherst Lanes - bowling on the 2nd floor!
Colvin Theater - saw Earthquake in "Sensurround"
Cassidy's - no one believes me when I talk about Freddy's Special - or 3 hot dogs and a shot for a $1
Penny Beer Night at the Spectrum - Budweiser and Black Label on tap
Shadrack's - A North Side Italian ventures into an East Side Polish bar...
Park Meadow - preppie city with lots of 15 year old girls at the bar
Cold Spring Warehouse - great music and freaky people
Hertel-North Park Day at Crystal Beach - when the whole neighborhood went to Canada

Old 08-08-2009, 05:41 PM

17 posts, read 58,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
I remember "free lunches" at Schiller Park, then going swimming at the pool.
Don't remember the free lunchs, but remember the pool. Did you attend #11? Haven't been to Buffalo in a few years. I lived on Wood Ave the dead end side. The city built a small playground in a vacant field at the end of the street. There used to be a good pizza place on Walden Ave just down from Whites bar. Gosh, if I close my eyes I can picture what that area looked like at one time. But the last time I was back in the B it sure didn't look like it used to.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:57 PM

2,972 posts, read 7,338,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doat View Post
Don't remember the free lunchs, but remember the pool. Did you attend #11? Haven't been to Buffalo in a few years. I lived on Wood Ave the dead end side. The city built a small playground in a vacant field at the end of the street. There used to be a good pizza place on Walden Ave just down from Whites bar. Gosh, if I close my eyes I can picture what that area looked like at one time. But the last time I was back in the B it sure didn't look like it used to.
I didn't go to school #11, but knew some kids who went there (their names escapes me now). Everyone knew Martucci's Pizza, famous for the square slices. I've since moved from the area too, but I'm still in the city.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:21 PM

922 posts, read 3,405,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Cassidy's - no one believes me when I talk about Freddy's Special - or 3 hot dogs and a shot for a $1
I remember Freddy's Special - it reminded me of one of those nature films with where the baby birds have their mouths open waiting for the mama bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Park Meadow - preppie city with lots of 15 year old girls at the bar
Speaking of N. Buffalo preppy bars, don't forget Checkers!

And for 15 year-old girls at the bar, Slomba's was the the ultimate high school bar (at least for the St. Joe's crowd). It's unthinkable now, but back when the drinking age was 18 and also poorly enforced, it was not at all uncommon for bars to serve high school kids, and for some bars to become high school hangouts.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:09 PM

5,273 posts, read 6,395,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
I remember Freddy's Special - it reminded me of one of those nature films with where the baby birds have their mouths open waiting for the mama bird

Speaking of N. Buffalo preppy bars, don't forget Checkers!

And for 15 year-old girls at the bar, Slomba's was the the ultimate high school bar (at least for the St. Joe's crowd). It's unthinkable now, but back when the drinking age was 18 and also poorly enforced, it was not at all uncommon for bars to serve high school kids, and for some bars to become high school hangouts.

OMG! Cassidy's! THAT PLACE burned to the ground didn't it??many years ago. We used to go when we were 19 and then the drinking age became 21 and then finally got in LOL>...No one was sober in that place it seemed!! wow... Freddy's special when they had 97 ROCK there also?

I remember going to N. Buffalo bars like Gabels, and Checkers! very St. Joe's type of crowd!! I remember wearing my IZOD alligator tennis shirts ! was the in thing LOL

Old 08-09-2009, 08:11 PM

5,273 posts, read 6,395,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedroz View Post
Roc Mar Bowling alley, After Dark, Stage 1, Henry's Hamburgers on Hertel, Bocce Club and Leonardi's for pizza.

I remember Henry's Hamburgers! My mom used to take me there for a burger after I got my vaccinations from my old pediatrician back in the 70's! on Hertel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or