U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2007, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Buffalo :-)
2,972 posts, read 7,308,109 times
Reputation: 1395

Advertisements

This is a spin off of a recent a great thread idea.

In Buffalo I miss:

cars on Main Street
shopping on Main Street
The Thruway Mall (technically it was in Cheektowaga, but we'd bike-ride the 3 miles from Buffalo). The same for Gold Circle & Twin Fair of which we'd travel to for shopping at.

I miss milk machines on every corner

The Courier Express newspaper.

I miss the "Buffalo Evening News" (a newspaper that was delivered later in the day. Today is "yesterday's headlines" in the Buffalo News).

I miss a new 45 record bought at Cavages (See: Thruway Mall).

Feel free at any time to chime in and share what you miss "in Buffalo"

I miss "free lunches" & swimming at Schiller Park.

Last edited by FedupWNY; 12-03-2007 at 11:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2007, 11:57 PM
 
1,315 posts, read 3,347,348 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
This is a spin off of a recent a great thread idea.

In Buffalo I miss:

cars on Main Street
shopping on Main Street
The Thruway Mall (technically it was in Cheektowaga, but we'd bike-ride the 3 miles from Buffalo). The same for Gold Circle & Twin Fair of which we'd travel to for shopping at.

I miss milk machines on every corner

The Courier Express newspaper.

I miss the "Buffalo Evening News" (a newspaper that was delivered later in the day. Today is "yesterday's headlines" in the Buffalo News).

I miss a new 45 record bought at Cavages (See: Thruway Mall).

Feel free at any time to chime in and share what you miss "in Buffalo"

I miss "free lunches" & swimming at Schiller Park.
The Glen Park movie theater

Bergers

the old Quaker Bonnet

Royal Pheasant

Decco coffee on Buffalo china..ra!

the old Ridgeway Ontario

the old Park Lane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2007, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Now in Houston!
922 posts, read 3,387,373 times
Reputation: 660
I'll chime in on some closed down local places that may bring back memories:

- "Your Host" 24-hour diners (who needed Denny's?)
- Two Guys Stores
- Grossman's (a "lumber yard" as my dad used to call it. Not a "Home Center")
- Jacobi Brothers (disclosure - my dear departed father-in-law was the owner)
- The Christmas windows at AM&A's downtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2007, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Buffalo :-)
2,972 posts, read 7,308,109 times
Reputation: 1395
Quote:
- The Christmas windows at AM&A's downtown
Yeah. I forgot about that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2008, 05:45 PM
 
4 posts, read 40,411 times
Reputation: 14
I miss the hustle and bustle of shopping at the Thruway Plaza before it became a mall. Running from store to store in the snow. I miss the peanuts at the Ground Round at the Thruway Mall. I miss the smells at Chritmas at the Broadway market.

Last edited by ackatack; 12-14-2008 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 08:46 PM
 
4,135 posts, read 9,055,020 times
Reputation: 2673
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
I'll chime in on some closed down local places that may bring back memories:

- "Your Host" 24-hour diners (who needed Denny's?)
- Two Guys Stores
- Grossman's (a "lumber yard" as my dad used to call it. Not a "Home Center")
- Jacobi Brothers (disclosure - my dear departed father-in-law was the owner)
- The Christmas windows at AM&A's downtown
Come to Central Ave in Lancaster. We have the AM&A Christmas window displays now, resurrected by the Lancaster Opera House! Between about 7-8pm they play Christmas Music. I think on Thurs a radio staion is coming and having students play music, live ( call the Opera House, they will know). It is really nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2008, 08:12 AM
 
5,273 posts, read 6,360,681 times
Reputation: 14919
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Come to Central Ave in Lancaster. We have the AM&A Christmas window displays now, resurrected by the Lancaster Opera House! Between about 7-8pm they play Christmas Music. I think on Thurs a radio staion is coming and having students play music, live ( call the Opera House, they will know). It is really nice.
Damn, next time I come visit Buffalo I have to go there! I used to love the AM &A's displays for Xmas!! Actually , a friend's party I went to long ago had one of the reindeer on top of the Xmas punch bowl lol.....it was huge!!!! but made for good conversation..

I miss Bergers!
Jet Donut *Sheridan Drive in Tonawanda*
Sunview Garden Center! all the beautiful Xmas tree displays!
Glickstein Jewelers
Super Duper? LOL>>>>blast from the past
Bells
Sharkey's Bar/Restaurant? It was called something else before that too!
Pleasures N' Pastimes (like an AC Moore or Michael's craft store)..Made cool ornaments with the neat things in the store

Does anyone remember going to see the monkeys at Sears? downtown LOL>>?seriously..they used to have a pet dept.

Last edited by njsocks; 12-17-2008 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Nome
2,397 posts, read 4,008,672 times
Reputation: 467
I miss the Towne Theater
Grants on Main St
The Donut Bakery on Main St ( the name escapes me )
Yes I miss the milk machines also and the Courier Express. I use to deliver both papers daily
Twin Fair
Bells
A&P markets
I miss the 5&10 store that was on S Park Ave by Choate St
Mangano's Bakery
Arthur Threaters Fish & Chips
Abbott Rd Plaza, Kresge's Had wooden Floors in it.
AM&A's Christmas Decorations
The Aud. Seen many things there. First time I went there was for the Circus Ringling Bro's & Barnum Bailey
The Thruway Mall before it became a mall for sure.
The GEX store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2008, 11:37 AM
 
5,273 posts, read 6,360,681 times
Reputation: 14919
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorawatcher View Post
I miss the Towne Theater
Grants on Main St
The Donut Bakery on Main St ( the name escapes me )
Yes I miss the milk machines also and the Courier Express. I use to deliver both papers daily
Twin Fair
Bells
A&P markets
I miss the 5&10 store that was on S Park Ave by Choate St
Mangano's Bakery
Arthur Threaters Fish & Chips
Abbott Rd Plaza, Kresge's Had wooden Floors in it.
AM&A's Christmas Decorations
The Aud. Seen many things there. First time I went there was for the Circus Ringling Bro's & Barnum Bailey
The Thruway Mall before it became a mall for sure.
The GEX store.

Freddy's Donuts-the donut place on Main in Buffalo!! I miss that one!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2008, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Buffalo NY
414 posts, read 1,314,264 times
Reputation: 158
The doughnut place on Main st. was Freddies. Best peanut stick ever. Tops has one that comes close. Balo's for Roast Beef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top