Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,699 times

Advertisements

It's sad I have to leave town to get a job. Their is just NO JOBS in Buffalo ! I received many jobs offer's in many cities, Boston, Phoenix, Dallas, Denver,Tampa, all of which are great cities too. I just took a job in Austin Texas, wow, what a city Austin is, building building everywhere and jobs jobs and more jobs. How sad is it when you tell people your from Buffalo, that they start laughing. That happened in just about every company and city that I had interviews in. All I can say is to all the other
people who can't find a job in Buffalo, Check out Austin TX.
their's jobs jobs and more jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 12:38 PM

382 posts, read 1,531,249 times
Really, what kine of jobs? Working in a telephone call center or at TGIFs?

Old 12-05-2007, 04:24 PM

121 posts, read 382,828 times
call center or working at TGIF's would definitely be NY. I had this unfortunate talk the other day with several people....that there are probably more educated master's level people working in Wegmans in NY than in some companies in the South

Old 12-05-2007, 05:22 PM

79 posts, read 258,623 times
I live in the South and the job market is not as hot as it used to be...there are lots of jobs, but often they don't pay well. The job market here is flooded with transplants (especially from the Northeast) who are educated. Competition is very STIFF! And, the culture here is "it's who you know". I work for a major Southern company in HR and it pays to know the right people. This is not the "land of milk and honey". I moved from WNY a year ago with a degree & years of experience. I thought that I would have a job instantly in the South since so many people raved about how plentiful job are here. It took almost 6 months! But, finally I found a decent job.

Read the City Data forums in Georgia & North Carolina...you'll see.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:17 AM

165 posts, read 662,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bye bye Buffalo View Post
Their is just NO JOBS in Buffalo
I moved to Buffalo to take a job, left it after 2 years to form my own company. My wife is employed with a good job in Buffalo. In our circle of friends only one is unemployed. He was laid off from a state job, was given a severance, and is not yet sweating it. Make no mistake, the employment markets and economies of most of NY outside of the NYC Megalopolis are depressed, but saying there are no jobs is very inaccurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl1216 View Post
the culture here is "it's who you know". I work for a major Southern company in HR and it pays to know the right people.
I don't think that's the South, I think that is life.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:29 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveupstateny View Post
call center or working at TGIF's would definitely be NY. I had this unfortunate talk the other day with several people....that there are probably more educated master's level people working in Wegmans in NY than in some companies in the South
your dead on. I have friend and family that have advance degrees that are working crap jobs. Which do not cover there school loans.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:39 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaniac View Post
I moved to Buffalo to take a job, left it after 2 years to form my own company. My wife is employed with a good job in Buffalo. In our circle of friends only one is unemployed. He was laid off from a state job, was given a severance, and is not yet sweating it. Make no mistake, the employment markets and economies of most of NY outside of the NYC Megalopolis are depressed, but saying there are no jobs is very inaccurate.
I don't think that's the South, I think that is life.
Take a look at your bls reports and it will show you that what every job gains are made in the past few years do not add to the total lost to the area. For example Rochester is up about 1500 to 3000 jobs this year but since 2000 they have lost about 25k to 30k of jobs. It used to be about 60k job loss in 2004-2005. I am not saying it is better than the south. Because if you look at America as a whole their is not much for job growth. America to just stay with population growth needs to create about 150k to 200k a month we are averaging around 100k. That is not much and well under forecast.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:47 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
Really, what kine of jobs? Working in a telephone call center or at TGIFs?
why the demeaning tone to a poster who is seeking employment? I don't understand...and who are you to vote on what is meaningful employment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area