Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:06 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times

Advertisements

Wendy - Check "sperlings best places" and put in Buffalo and your income here and then put in the place you are moving and it waill tell you what you need to live there. Bet it'll cost a lot more. We are retired, and could do it here because of the low cost of living. Our friends who "retired" to AZ -- 2 couples work part time jobs and 2 couples moved back. There is no grass to be green there, BTW. You need to expand your job search here; our 2 kids got good jobs and so did the Son-in-laws. Hard work? Yep. OTOH, it is a great place to raise a family and one of the few to allow younger people the pleasure of owning a home.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy22 View Post
Then why is Phoenix one the fastest growing cities in the US if it's so bad ? Why are droves of people moving their from upsate NY and other Northeast and Midwest Cities ?
Climate. Pure and simple. There's nothing wrong with the quality of life in my area, but PA has basically stagnated in population due to its harsh winters. The same can be said for the rest of the Northeast and Upper Midwest.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:46 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Climate. Pure and simple. There's nothing wrong with the quality of life in my area, but PA has basically stagnated in population due to its harsh winters. The same can be said for the rest of the Northeast and Upper Midwest.
Oh my God you are so right! Climate.

too bad it takes a move to realize that living in the 'hot' areas of the country are actually harder to deal with than snow. It'll come full circle. It'll take a hundred years, but people will move back this way because the heat is ultimately worse than cold.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:55 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out......well actually.......

Old 12-07-2007, 04:20 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,021 times
[quote=Wendy22;2194895]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
That's a load of baloney, and you know it. People say the same thing about the career opportunities available here in Scranton, but I know scores of folks who are earning comfortable middle-class salaries. Everyone in my subdivision who has a college degree is earning at least $40,000. Our area's median household income is $52,500. One of my friends here on campus was just offered a starting salary as an accountant at a local firm making $40,000 plus generous benefits. My own parents earn $75,000 combined. My sister and brother-in-law earn $85,000 combined. My uncle earns $65,000 per year. If Scranton is supposedly more economically depressed than Buffalo, then it stands to reason that YOUR area's college graduates must be doing much better than ours are. If you can't find a high-paying position, did you ever consider the fact that your poor grammar and negative attitude could be turn-offs to potential employers? Someone who is well-spoken, well-written, and generally upbeat about life in general tend to succeed more in life.

Who said Scranton is more depressed then Buffalo ?
Does Scranton have 2 control boards ?
Buffalo is the 2nd poorest city in US and closing in fast on Detriot.
Go to any Wegmans in WNY, 1/2 the people their have MBA's
My friend is the manager at Wegman's and she told me that I would be shocked if I knew how many white collar professional ie lawyer types , etc are on food stamps in the Buffalo area..she wants to go home to California so she is somewhat biased, but still.....the area around Wegmans Amherst has a good number of high end houses for sale - Renaissance area...I think the prices will really start to come down next year if you can wait that long...unfortunately the tax bite on the expensive house and the heating bills usually make it a lot worse...figure tax is an extra 600 a month and heating bill average 300 - that's 900 a month on top of mortgage pmnt......

Last edited by 12buttons; 12-07-2007 at 04:40 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 05:24 PM

75 posts, read 340,633 times
Good--take that attitude to Arizona. The last thing we need is another naysayer. And I can assure that Buffalo isn't going to hell, but you can bet the heat in Arizona will feel like hell.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:26 PM

21 posts, read 69,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy22 View Post
Buffalo is going to hell, Everything is closing up.
People are leaving like rats jumping off the sinking Titanic

Buffalo NY + NO JOBS = BYE
Glendale AZ + LOTS & LOTS OF JOBS = HELLO
this is a complete overstatement. not everything is closing up and people arent moving out as rapidly as you state. if you want to leave then fine, youll find that the heat is 10 times worse than the cold and most southern cities are corporate cluster-****s of strip malls and chain restaurants. for what its worth, buffalo has more history, culture and character than most american cities and it seems you are too damn short-sighted to realize it.

i just sat in traffic for an hour on the I-90 and it was almost 7 at night but hey, they must all be on there way out of town.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:43 PM

148 posts, read 647,938 times
Union pipefitters make over $30 an hour in AZ plus full pension and benefits. Lots of high paying work and Intel is expanding.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:06 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times
Tell me something we don't know about the region.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:11 PM

172 posts, read 846,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itSmellsBAD View Post
Union pipefitters make over $30 an hour in AZ plus full pension and benefits. Lots of high paying work and Intel is expanding.
So, you're telling us that the unions will cause the jobs to move right out of here in ten years, right? I can't wait for Intel to shift more of its operations to India either.

The reason why I never visit here often is because people are convinced the place they leave is a complete sh*tole, and the place they are going is heaven on earth. The reality check must've bounced, because neither one is completely perfect or imperfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area