Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel the Govt takes too much control over the state of NY
YES 61 71.76%
NO 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 04:48 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I'm a native to Massachusetts and I only lived in New York for one year (Queens). I now live elsewhere, but many of the arguments the OP made I've heard before from my fellow Baystaters...

Quite often I find northerners who move south rather blind to the fact why they CAN move because they benefited from everything the northern states had to offer. In Mass and NY, we have some of the best public schools in the country and that has set us ahead of many other southern states that often under fund their schools. Couple that with the fact that we can get better jobs in our cities with better pay and more opportunity to save money, put our kids through school and have a little extra for retirement. With that extra money, older people decide that the expense (and ****ty weather) isn't worth it anymore so they move south. If you do, then more power to you. But don't forget WHY you have the money to move there.

I know that the upstate economy ebbs and flow a bit, but it's a beautiful area with a wonderful culture.
You wax poetically but your rose colored vision sounds 30 years too late. Good schools, jobs and a quality of living exist in many more places beyond the north east, and Western Mass like upstate is not making anyone's list as the best spots for a career. People choose what they feel is in their best interest but most posters on these boards complain about the lack of "better jobs" in the cities up north not the abundance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 07:25 PM

660 posts, read 1,006,432 times
Default Amen to this!

I totally get this! I moved here from Seattle, Washington, where there is zero state income tax, a slightly higher (slightly) sales tax, and just slightly higher property taxes (at least where I lived).

The taxes here in New York - property, sales and income - are OUTRAGEOUS, and I don't feel we get much for what we pay (i.e., there are still a record number of homeless children in this state, etc., etc.).

I'm gone as of 2015 - moving South for less taxes, better quality of life and warmer weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman8989 View Post
After 50 years of being born and raised in Western NY an hour South of Buffalo its time to say good riddance. This "High tax paying citizen is sick of the control our Govt puts on us" Shortly After sending out to Catt County NY our yearly property/school taxes of $4,000.00 on a home thats "only" valued at $95,000 we left to visit Conway South Carolina. While we were there we stopped at a local store to grab a pack of cigarettes "COST $4.85 a pack, vs $10.50 a pk back in NYS. My husband thought WTF... And as we are driving down the highway in SC we noticed people using their Cell Phones, (We thought wow Id be scared to try that back in NY) We later learned from a residents in SC they have "NO" use of cellphone laws. (Im not saying thats a bad law to have in NY "BUT" its nice to have a Govt of SC allow the people of their state make their own decision for themselves and not have a Govt of NY make that decision for you!!" ) We pulled into a Bar/Restaurant and was asked by the waitress who greeted us with a huge smile.. "Would you like smoking or non smoking?" Once again we thought wow.. Are we in another country.. because just that feel of FREEDOM that we once lived years ago is NO LONGER THERE BACK HOME IN NYS. Now husband checks out the cost of a fishing and hunting license and he starts asking all sorts of living cost comparison between Buffalo NY and Conway SC .. We decide to meet with a realtor and we learned that Property taxes on a $300,000. home is "ONLY $900.00 a year.. VS $6,000.00 A YR IN a suburb of Buffalo NY. Savings wow.. $5,000.00 a year!! So we went to Cityratings web site to type in the comparison of living and we learned if you make $25,000.00 a year in Buffalo NY then you would ONLY have to make $12,000.00 in Conway SC to keep the same life style of living. Sure they have Tornado's in SC But we also did our homework and its only certain areas that are higher chances then others. Minimum wage may be lower to start out in SC vs NYS but at a cost of living cut into half and with beautiful temperatures year around that SC has to offer VS what BUFFALO HAS TO OFFER, We cant sell our home here in Western NY fast enough. We want out of this high taxed, Govt Controlled state NOW.. My husband says the only regret he has is we didnt make this move long before now, We may have been much richer in more ways then one. In money and in the feeling that a free America does still exists. From a 50 yr life long citizen of NYS all we have to say is "I hate NY" and no more will you get another tax dollar from this citizen or its family members who are all hard workers and will be transitioning out of NY very soon!

Old 11-18-2014, 08:09 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times
When I moved to central Texas after living 30 years in Buffalo, I thought I was on another planet.

Gas is 75 cents a gallon cheaper. Cigarettes at 5 dollars per pack, not 11.

I don't smoke, but you notice these things.

No dumb cell phone laws, no dumb gotcha fees. Fair vehicle window tint laws. Texan's don't put up with BS.

I got my concealed carry handgun license in 48 hours, not 18 months that it takes in NY.

You do not need a permit to possess a handgun in Texas, only for concealed carry.

Weather in Texas is fine. 105 degrees is fine. We have 4 seasons, it was 29 degrees last night, except it never snows.

The big thing here is flash flooding, just stay home when the weather gets weird.

I have a toll road near my house that is smooth as glass, it is 75mph to 85mph in some areas.

I never realized how poor the roads were in NY. It is similar to a battle zone.

At the grocery store, produce mostly comes from Mexico, I thought it would be scary. It is very good quality, and cheap. Groceries are cheap, and the HEB stores are just as nice as Wegmans (not as gourmet though).

My house in Texas cost twice what my house in Buffalo costs, but the taxes are seriously identical.

My neighborhood has two olympic swimming pools, and we have three huge water parks right in the area.

Everything is brand new, nothing looks old. Highways are brand new, everything.

Electric to cool my house is $125 during the summer, and 30 dollars during the winter.

Natural gas bill is 30-50 dollars year round.

Water is $50 per month, garbage pickup is $17 per month.

We do not have state income tax. Sales tax is 8.5% I think.

Health care rates are much cheaper, but insurance pays for much less than it did in NY.

All the hospitals are brand new, and world class. I had a surgery at a world class facility called Scott and White, and was totally impressed with them.

Insurance on my home is about 30 percent cheaper than my house in NY, and it is worth twice as much.

You pay for what you use, many roads are now toll roads in Texas. I don't mind paying a couple bucks to drive 80mph with no traffic.

I am 20 minutes to Austin, 3-4 hours to Dallas, 3-4 to the gulf of mexico, and 6 hours to South Padre Island.

I do not need to get on a plane to see a nice beach, I just drive there. I don't spend a lot of money vacationing anymore, so I can go more often, and stay longer.

Most importantly, my mental health is better in Texas. The warm sun makes me feel better, my body feels better, and I am much more active.

In Buffalo, I struggled with serious depression during the winter, and I put on a lot of weight.

I spent a few days in Buffalo a few weeks ago, and from the second I got off the plane, to the second I left, it was grey skies and rain.

However, I was very impressed with what Pegula is doing with the area around the First Niagara arena. I wish him and the city luck.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:59 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
When I moved to central Texas after living 30 years in Buffalo, I thought I was on another planet.
Indeed it is. I've been to the Lone Star state quite a few times, as my close friends have moved there.

Quote:
Gas is 75 cents a gallon cheaper. Cigarettes at 5 dollars per pack, not 11.

I don't smoke, but you notice these things.
Neither of which are "good" things.

Quote:
No dumb cell phone laws, no dumb gotcha fees. Fair vehicle window tint laws. Texan's don't put up with BS.
Cell phone laws are good laws.

Tint laws are better in Texas, point taken.

NY doesn't charge miscellaneous vehicle and personal property fees. Only the $20 inspection / emissions, which again... are more good then bad.

Quote:
I got my concealed carry handgun license in 48 hours, not 18 months that it takes in NY.

You do not need a permit to possess a handgun in Texas, only for concealed carry.
Culture difference. Personally, I don't feel comfortable with such ease for people owning concealed carry license so quickly. A safety course and background check really isn't that big of a deal.

Quote:
Weather in Texas is fine. 105 degrees is fine. We have 4 seasons, it was 29 degrees last night, except it never snows.
Texas weather just sucks. There is nothing sane about 105 degrees or the god-awful humidity. Worse, it actually gets cold in Texas with untreated roads.

Quote:
The big thing here is flash flooding, just stay home when the weather gets weird.

I have a toll road near my house that is smooth as glass, it is 75mph to 85mph in some areas.
Speed limit has been proven to be irrelevant. People always drive the speed they are comfortable with on the highway, regardless of how high or low the speed limit is.

Quote:
I never realized how poor the roads were in NY. It is similar to a battle zone.
NY roads go through much more wear and tear, due to climate.

Quote:
At the grocery store, produce mostly comes from Mexico, I thought it would be scary. It is very good quality, and cheap. Groceries are cheap, and the HEB stores are just as nice as Wegmans (not as gourmet though).
Nothing is as nice as Wegmans (#1 grocery store in America).

Quote:
My house in Texas cost twice what my house in Buffalo costs, but the taxes are seriously identical.

My neighborhood has two olympic swimming pools, and we have three huge water parks right in the area.
It's no secret that Texas is lacking in the education department statewide. They are also committed to making more cuts to education. Emperor Cuomo is hardly better, but NY has a reputation for committment to education.

Remember, property taxes pay for services... how many parks, librarys, public facilities, museums, etc. do you have in Texas? I'm willing to bet money your county doesn't have as much "free" stuff per population as Erie County does.

Quote:
Everything is brand new, nothing looks old. Highways are brand new, everything.
That's a trivial preference. Some people like history; some people like new.

Quote:
Electric to cool my house is $125 during the summer, and 30 dollars during the winter.

Natural gas bill is 30-50 dollars year round.

Water is $50 per month, garbage pickup is $17 per month.

We do not have state income tax. Sales tax is 8.5% I think.

Health care rates are much cheaper, but insurance pays for much less than it did in NY.
Pretty much. Isn't that how things go? You get what you pay for. If you're paying less than in NY, you are getting less somewhere out there in TX.

Quote:
All the hospitals are brand new, and world class. I had a surgery at a world class facility called Scott and White, and was totally impressed with them.
I'll leave the Ebola comment to myself.

Let's just say in Texas you better be well-to-do with a good job. Hospitals made it clear you get a band-aid and a foot in the ass if you don't have health insurance. Show me the money culture.

Quote:
Insurance on my home is about 30 percent cheaper than my house in NY, and it is worth twice as much.

You pay for what you use, many roads are now toll roads in Texas. I don't mind paying a couple bucks to drive 80mph with no traffic.
The NY Thruway is the only major toll road in NY, because it existed before the Interstate Highway System. It basically only exists now to suppress the gas tax a bit.

Quote:
I am 20 minutes to Austin, 3-4 hours to Dallas, 3-4 to the gulf of mexico, and 6 hours to South Padre Island.

I do not need to get on a plane to see a nice beach, I just drive there. I don't spend a lot of money vacationing anymore, so I can go more often, and stay longer.
There are beaches in WNY and Southern Ontario. The Atlantic Ocean is a seven hour drive. What beaches exist in Texas? I would not want to go to a beach in Texas. Oil-water.

Quote:
Most importantly, my mental health is better in Texas. The warm sun makes me feel better, my body feels better, and I am much more active.

In Buffalo, I struggled with serious depression during the winter, and I put on a lot of weight.

I spent a few days in Buffalo a few weeks ago, and from the second I got off the plane, to the second I left, it was grey skies and rain.
Life is what you make it, my friend. Some people get bogged down by the weather, some people don't. More people obviously suffer from SAD anywhere north of Philadelphia.

Quote:
However, I was very impressed with what Pegula is doing with the area around the First Niagara arena. I wish him and the city luck.
Glad he kept the Bills here, but he is an oilman. The Buffalo Billion is a giveaway to robber barons like him.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:56 AM

178 posts, read 282,029 times
All of us New Yorkers are moving down to the south, that I predict that in 20 years the south will be a megalopolis just the the Northeast megalopolis!
Southeast could become an overdeveloped

Old 11-23-2014, 08:55 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times
Also, MANY of my friends in Austin are from California.

At least 50 percent of the people at my work are from California.

That tells something about what is happening out there.

Tons of CA plates all over the place, they are coming in droves, and bringing cash to buy "cheap" houses.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:17 PM

299 posts, read 377,805 times
Please... If you choose to relocate south do not try to make it like the state you came from!!

Old 11-25-2014, 10:47 PM

274 posts, read 239,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Oh no... there's not. If you want to damage your body, fine. At the risk of sounding like a self-righteous conservative... why should I have to pay more for my health insurance premiums because a chunk of this country wants to go give themselves lung cancer and heart disease from poor life decisions?

Smoking has direct financial considerations to people in this country. Take your freedom to kill yourself somewhere away from wallet.

This is a non-issue now. The Affordable Care Act has seen to it that no matter what personal habits do to our health we cannot be denied coverage and due to near 100% participation rates remain nice and affordable. Those foolish enough to not carry some sort of health insurance will help offset the cost with the tax penalty for not having participated. So drink up, eat up, smok'em if you got'em cause from here on out we will always have access to affordable health care.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:38 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey1151 View Post
All of us New Yorkers are moving down to the south, that I predict that in 20 years the south will be a megalopolis just the the Northeast megalopolis!
Southeast could become an overdeveloped
Not quite. That is a pretty elaborate extrapolation.

New Yorkers are not moving down south in waves. They move to Florida in waves for retirement. Most NYs move to Florida, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. Texas and North Carolina are in the top 10 as well, which is the type of migration you are referring too. However, it takes a backseat to retirement and surburban flight from the NYC metro.

Quote:
Also, MANY of my friends in Austin are from California.

At least 50 percent of the people at my work are from California.

That tells something about what is happening out there.

Tons of CA plates all over the place, they are coming in droves, and bringing cash to buy "cheap" houses.
California is too expensive for people to have a Middle Class life. If you saw real estate prices there, you would move too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboytampabay View Post
Please... If you choose to relocate south do not try to make it like the state you came from!!
A chunk of them moving south are conservative. They are moving there for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
This is a non-issue now. The Affordable Care Act has seen to it that no matter what personal habits do to our health we cannot be denied coverage and due to near 100% participation rates remain nice and affordable. Those foolish enough to not carry some sort of health insurance will help offset the cost with the tax penalty for not having participated. So drink up, eat up, smok'em if you got'em cause from here on out we will always have access to affordable health care.
Can't be denied, but smoking will still increase the premiums.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:58 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
The bottom line is we all have different needs and different motivations to live where we live.

A repeated theme here is someone likes the fact that taxes are lower in South Carolina than they are in Buffalo. Or in Texas. If taxes are your only consideration then why not move to Delaware?

Certain things are important to me such as cultural amenities (yes, I actually visit museums, art galleries, the symphony, independent film festivals) etc., restaurant and nightlife scene, quality of medical institutions, and so on. Climate is also important which is a big plus for living in South, except for the bugs, mosquitoes, termites and hurricanes.

To each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area