Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 05:48 AM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I grew up in Buffalo. Buffalo and NYC most definitely have something in common: same state, state government, SUNY access including downstate students at UB and Buff State (and vice versa), Buffalo cheers for the Yankees, watch MSG network, and Buffalo has many residents originally from NYC (such as thousands of Puerto Rican residents).Yes Buffalo culturally has more in common with other Great Lakes cities, but geographically as part of NY State it is in the Northeat in my opinion. Comparably, Erie should also be considered in the Northeast, along with Pittsburgh.

Call Buffalo Midwestern if you like, but almost no one refers to any part of NYS as anything other than Northeastern, regardless of culture.
Outside of common terms like "Pop" for Soda, which I heard when I was going to college in MI, I agree. They would say "Gym shoes" instead of Sneakers too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 07:14 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Yankees and Knicks yes, but that is only because Buffalo has no major league team in those sports.

Sports wise, most go for Bills, Sabres, Yankees, Knicks, Syracuse Orange.

I went to school in the Northeast and experienced minor culture shock. Buffalo is in no way Northeastern. It is certainly closer culturally to the cities mentioned.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:30 AM

719 posts, read 1,552,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Yankees and Knicks yes, but that is only because Buffalo has no major league team in those sports.

Sports wise, most go for Bills, Sabres, Yankees, Knicks, Syracuse Orange.

I went to school in the Northeast and experienced minor culture shock. Buffalo is in no way Northeastern. It is certainly closer culturally to the cities mentioned.
The OP's question was Do you Buffalo people consider yourselves to be in the Northeast US or the Midwest US?

Key word: "IN the Northeast"

I don't think anyone here can disagree that we are geographically in the northeast. I will agree that this area shares much with Cleve/Det/Chi in terms of accent and some of the mid-west sensibilities, slower paced, etc.
The sports team angle is interesting though. If we identify more with the mid-west why don't we adopt their baseball teams in lieu of MLB in WNY? Almost all baseball fans here seem to be Yankees fans. Is that simply because of their success and not because we identify with them being in NY? We're much closer to Cleveland and Pittsburgh, and Toronto, but I rarely see any Indians, Pirates or Blue Jays fans here... Same with basketball (minus Pitt since they have no NBA)
Interesting discussion, regardless.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:23 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
The OP's question was Do you Buffalo people consider yourselves to be in the Northeast US or the Midwest US?

Key word: "IN the Northeast"

I don't think anyone here can disagree that we are geographically in the northeast. I will agree that this area shares much with Cleve/Det/Chi in terms of accent and some of the mid-west sensibilities, slower paced, etc.
Geographically, we could say northeast... but we also are in quite a different climate zone than the East Coast "Northeast". NYC / NJ / Boston / Philadelphia have much more humid tropical-like weather. Buffalo's weather is quite unique.. it is a blend between a humid inland continental with a huge maritime influence from the Lakes. Our temps are moderated with low diurnal variance, but we are still significantly cooler than NYC. A good rule of thumb is to follow weather in Michigan and Chicago. It moves to Buffalo within 24-36 hours and either warms or cools as it passes over the Lakes en route. This is especially seen in late winter, where all of our post-Lake Erie freeze snow storms come from that area.

Also, as I've said before... we are closer to Cleveland and even Columbus than Albany and NYC respectively. Cleveland geographically is in the "Northeast" section of the country by latitude / longitude, but isn't considered the "Northeast" at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
The sports team angle is interesting though. If we identify more with the mid-west why don't we adopt their baseball teams in lieu of MLB in WNY? Almost all baseball fans here seem to be Yankees fans. Is that simply because of their success and not because we identify with them being in NY? We're much closer to Cleveland and Pittsburgh, and Toronto, but I rarely see any Indians, Pirates or Blue Jays fans here... Same with basketball (minus Pitt since they have no NBA)
Interesting discussion, regardless.
Mostly because of rivalries I would say. Buffalo has a hockey rivalry with Toronto. We have somewhat of a football rivalry with Cleveland and the NY teams. The most interesting was the Bills courting Toronto. Silly move, because Torontonians don't like the Bills. Ontario Bills fans are from Hamilton eastward and they go to the games anyway.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:58 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
I came from the NY area over 45 years ago. I do NOT consider myself midwestern by an way, shape or form. I consider myself Buffalonian. We are - truthfully - somewhere in the middle, drawing from each.

Consider the people who settled each area. If you go back far enough, you get New Englanders coming to farm in the early 1800s - certainly northeastern ( my husband's family among them). In the late part of the 19th and early part of 20th, you got varied Europeans. It was a big cultural change. Read the old records: it goes from mostly British names to adding German and French ( many here before anyone else) to adding the Polish/Slavs and and Irish and Italians... and so it goes now, with more new immigrants. A city is the people who make it. Most of the early settlers have moved on - my husband has family spread from PA to ID. Buffalo has mixed and melded.... we, as an area, gave our people to the midwest as New England originally gave its people to NY.

Forget the "names/labels" of a location. Look at the people.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:59 AM

811 posts, read 1,738,028 times
People in Philly, NYC and New England call it soda. In Buffalo, all you hear is pop. Nuff Said.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:03 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I have lived in New England (MA and RI) and in the Midwest (IL) before moving to WNY and Buffalo is very midwestern to me. Geographically I would classify Buffalo as Northeast USA but living here definitely feels more Midwest.
agreed

Old 06-19-2014, 09:43 AM

400 posts, read 575,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
Hello all,

Do you Buffalo people consider yourselves to be in the Northeast US or the Midwest US?
I don't know what they are teaching in U.S. geography these days but we were taught NY State is in the Northeast.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:17 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgirl80 View Post
I don't know what they are teaching in U.S. geography these days but we were taught NY State is in the Northeast.
Yes but cultural lines and political jurisdictions don't always match up. I have a degree in Geography, I would know

Old 06-23-2014, 06:28 PM

35 posts, read 54,402 times
Buffalo is most definitely East Coast....it's like a slice of NYC in the western part of NY. It's in NY State-so obviously it has a strong East Coast influence. People here can be rather abrasive, impatient and rude-typical of New Yorkers.

Having lived and traveled through Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana I can say the Buffalo has far more in common with NYC and Newark (maybe even Boston) than Minneapolis, Chicago, Indianapolis, or Omaha, NE. Midwestern folks are FAR more laid back and easy going-much friendlier too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area