Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:40 AM

122 posts, read 188,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
If I had a PHD like you I would! I only have a B.A.

Actually people I've known with an M.A. or higher have had a harder time getting a job in Buffalo than those with only a B.A.

There are more lower end white collar jobs in Buffalo than higher end and they tend to want someone with a B.A. for these jobs (even if they really only require a HS diploma or a 2-year degree). If you have an M.A. or more and try to apply for these jobs they are going to say you are overqualified.

So in a way, less education is more in Buffalo.
Yep. I know a lot of unemployed PhD's in Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 08:42 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
If I had a PHD like you I would! I only have a B.A.

Actually people I've known with an M.A. or higher have had a harder time getting a job in Buffalo than those with only a B.A.

There are more lower end white collar jobs in Buffalo than higher end and they tend to want someone with a B.A. for these jobs (even if they really only require a HS diploma or a 2-year degree). If you have an M.A. or more and try to apply for these jobs they are going to say you are overqualified.

So in a way, less education is more in Buffalo.
Also, there is a hidden economy of companies that people may not know of. For instance, you'll notice that there is a decent amount of companies on this list in the area: Biotech, Pharmaceutical, Medical Device, and Chemical Company Jobs in the State of New York

So, it may also be a matter of matching up with companies that have openings that match a person's skills/education/experience.

Here's one company: Empire Genomics | Join Our Team of Life Science Experts

and another one: QuaDPharma | Join Our Team

or this position: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHos...61_5100&GQId=0

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-29-2014 at 09:11 AM..

Old 10-31-2014, 02:07 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,381 times
Landed a position with a subsidary of the company I work for now. Only slightly less money than I was making on LI. Different job than what I was doing, but my experience is very applicable. Very very pleased. Need to sell my home on LI and I'm good to go

With the right connections and a little patience, you can land a decent job in WNY

Old 10-31-2014, 04:00 PM

355 posts, read 390,658 times
I wouldn't sell your LI home until you have had 2 winters under your family's belt.Yes you might have experience with the winter and in fact love it. But things change over time. Be sure this is where you want to be and your kids are happy. You're well aware of LI housing and rental prices, especially for a family. A little wait and financial suffering is a lot easier then the possible outcome. Good luck and best wishes to you and your family.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:20 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotstoboiledpenuts View Post
I wouldn't sell your LI home until you have had 2 winters under your family's belt.Yes you might have experience with the winter and in fact love it. But things change over time. Be sure this is where you want to be and your kids are happy. You're well aware of LI housing and rental prices, especially for a family. A little wait and financial suffering is a lot easier then the possible outcome. Good luck and best wishes to you and your family.
Given that they are from the area, I think they are well aware of the winters.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:48 PM

355 posts, read 390,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Given that they are from the area, I think they are well aware of the winters.
How long have they been away? They seemed to forget a lot since they had to ask questions and the comments made. A lot if people moved away from an area , then relocated back and didn't like it but remembered what it once was like. Oh I thought I were able to handle the heat, cold or rain of whatever area. But they couldn't.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
How long have they been away? They seemed to forget a lot since they had to ask questions and the comments made. A lot if people moved away from an area , then relocated back and didn't like it but remembered what it once was like. Oh I thought I were able to handle the heat, cold or rain of whatever area. But they couldn't.
Away since 1999. But I visited WNY several times per year. Believe me, once I'm in WNY, I'm not moving again! I'm 40 years old, the time for hopping around the country for me is over.

Last edited by Port North; 10-31-2014 at 05:40 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I'm getting crushed by property taxes, hate the traffic, will be making roughly the same in WNY as in LI, don't fit in with the rapidly gentrifying culture in the NYC metro, etc. Why would I move back to LI? I was slowly drowning financially, mentally and spiritually there.
Nope, and I didn't want to move South either. Don't fit in culturally there either, plus I hate heat. Nope WNY is for me.
I lived in WNY until I was 25 years old, its home to me.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
WNY is actually much better now then when I left.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:07 PM

400 posts, read 575,667 times
Quote:

With the right connections and a little patience, you can land a decent job in WNY
Exactly! That is the one thing I love about this area, if you really want something, you can make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area