Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:08 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You are making one big mistake that many people make. That Land area of Denver includes that immense new Denver International Airport of 54 sq. miles which is mostly a buffer space around the airport. It cannot have any extensive development to allow the airport to be away from housing. It was added to Denver from Adams County for the airport. Yes Denver is still bigger than Buffalo. We have also the suburb of Aurora which is much bigger in population than Buffalo at 350,000 and area of about 154 square miles, being Colorado 3rd. Largest city after Colorado Springs.

Today Denver is bigger but when I came here it was equivalent to Buffalo in population as Denver, even with more land, is not as dense in population as Buffalo was back then with many new areas to the south like a suburbs in density. I have been here 36 years and all of the suburbs did not have the residents of today and some did not exist. I live in Arvada which now has the same population of Cheektwaga when I left at about 110,000 a big growth from 84,000 when I got here. Now Cheektowaga has lost population to that what Arvada was at that time. Very Interesting!

The biggest problem with Buffalo is that that New York State is one of the largest State but has only one huge big city at 9 million and diminished little Buffalo at about 255,000 as the second largest city. California, Florida, Texas all have multiple big cities. That is really strange. Why? because the State is not balanced and the NYC sucks everything from the rest of the state.

Denver advantage is that it is the capital of Colorado and consequently has more control over its destiny while Buffalo is subject to the whims of the Lords of New York City. The only way to fix it is to break away from New York and form another state with all the other New York towns that are slaves to NYC.

Livecontent
So, Denver without the airport is still around the same as Buffalo, Cheektowaga, West Seneca and Lackawanna combined or Buffalo, Amherst and Lackawanna combined in terms of land size.

Aurora has around 100,000 more people than Buffalo, but is 114 square miles bigger in terms of land. Meaning, you can fit almost 4 Buffalos in terms of land in Aurora. Amherst has about 123,000 within 53.2 square miles and is on par with Aurora in terms of density, give or take a little bit.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-28-2014 at 10:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 10:23 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,341,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Ehhh.... no this is disingenious. It is inadequate to compare the municipal boundary, especially when about half of NYC's Metro Area is in NJ and Connecticut.

Buffalo, Rochester, and Albany are all roughly a million in the metro area (+/- 200,000 residents). Syracuse also is over 500,000 residents.

The point is, the state isn't quite as unbalanced as other states / provinces out there. Just head over to the Illinois section and you'll see how bitter the rest of the state is over Chicago.

Some other Metros / States with most of the population residing in just one Metro Area:

Minnesota
Massachusetts
Georgia
Virginia
Illinois
Ontario, Canada

Probably more; I just can't think of them right now.
New York City, alone, has about 9 million. That does NOT include the metro area of NYC which is about 23 Million. You should know that about your state!

Then you go on and compare the metro areas of the smaller cities than Buffalo. I was talking about the city populations alone and NY is immense and the rest of the city population, in the cities, are very small. No other state has that disparity between one big behemoth and all the tiny vassal cities.

And you mention Ontario, Canada across the border and it shows you know very little, even close to home.
Toronto 2.5 million
Hamilton 500,000
Ottawa 900,000
London 350,000
Windsor 220,000
etc. etc. etc.

So how is that about Ontario having most of the population residing in just one Metro Area. Many of the cities are also distances apart.

You know less about the rest of the states you mentioned...

By the way with the huge population of Ontario, you can bet that greed will take over and the when it is possible, your cherished Bills will move maybe to Ontario to fleece those citizens...or Las Vegas etc.
It is all about money and no owner will turn his back on opportunities to get more and of course the fat boys at the NFL want more...

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-28-2014 at 11:19 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 11:26 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,316,702 times
Quote:
New York City, alone, has about 9 million. That does NOT include the metro area of NYC which is about 23 Million. You should know that about your state!

Then you go on and compare the metro areas of the smaller cities than Buffalo. I was talking about the city populations alone and NY is immense and the rest of the city population, in the cities, are very small. No other state has that disparity between one big behemoth and all the tiny vassal cities.

And you mention Ontario, Canada across the border and it shows you know very little, even close to home.
Toronto 2.5 million
Hamilton 500,000
Ottawa 900,000
London 350,000
Windsor 220,000
etc. etc. etc.

So how is that about Ontario having most of the population residing in just one Metro Area. Many of the cities are also distances apart.

You know less about the rest of the states you mentioned...

By the way with the huge population of Ontario, you can bet that greed will take over and the when it is possible, your cherished Bills will move maybe to Ontario to fleece those citizens...or Las Vegas etc.
It is all about money and no owner will turn his back on opportunities to get more and of course the fat boys at the NFL want more...

Livecontent

I know you are tallking to somebody else, but I seriously have no idea what point you are trying to make.
Quote:
"I was talking about the city populations alone".
huh?? Why would you throw the suburbs out of the picture when talking about upstate cities. That makes zero sense. You may as well just compare the hundreds of small villages all by themselves and use that as your "disparity" metric if you are just going to randomly pick a comparison point.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:24 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,855,042 times
Quote:
Denver is not the white collar global elite. Actually Denver is more of working class city but has more now of the white collar than Buffalo. Denver has many neighborhoods that are reminiscent to me of the South Buffalo which I often frequented and enjoyed. As much of the west and the south, these areas are home to some of the largest christian churches in America. The Catholic Church closes churches in Buffalo because Buffalo is losing population. In Denver there is growth of new larger Catholic Churches and members because of the influx of Catholic Latinos immigrants and because Denver population is growing.

Denver is not similar to Manhattan as I have lived there. It does not have the same homogeneous characteristics of Silicon Valley. I actually left Buffalo in 1970 on the way the Army and just stayed for short time after Army service on my way back to College--I am in my 60s. My Buffalo memories are of the 1950s and 60s. I actually do miss many aspects of WNY as I have always found the small towns of WNY as appealing. If I never left for the Army, I think I would have stayed in the area. The weather was not the reason I left, it was more of that the Army gave me a view of other places. Buffalo when I left, 45 years ago, was decaying since the 1950s and it has got worse over the years.

Actually Denver was losing population when I arrived and was similiar in size to Buffalo. Denver is what Buffalo should have become and Buffalo is what Denver did not become.

Livecontent
You are right Denver is not the same crowd as NYC. Wrong for me to charaterize. I'm just frustrated with the wholesale genrification and stripping of the "old school" middle class from primary cities like NYC. The change I've scene in just 15 years here has just been insane. It's stripped the soul out of NYC and replaced it with this highly materialistic and superficial upper middle class/wealthy group that I find boring. I want to live around real people again!

Gentrification on a moderate scale is good because it weeds out the thugs and makes a place more livable. However when it progresses to such a point where cops and teachers can't afford to live in a decent area, it's gone too far.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
. The Catholic Church closes churches in Buffalo because Buffalo is losing population. In Denver there is growth of new larger Catholic Churches and members because of the influx of Catholic Latinos immigrants and because Denver population is growing.
Livecontent
Yes, I do notice the lack of Latino immigrants when I attend church in Western New York. My parish on Long Island (I'm in Western Nassau County only a few miles from Queens) is probably 40% Latino and I have to say that they really add some new energy to things. Talking to them and hearing their personal stories has made me much more understanding and open to their concerns.

I have to say through I am starting to see more Latinos in Western New York, not in the numbers as other places, but there is almost nowhere now where they are not at least a nominal presence.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Arvada is a much nicer area than Cheektowaga with extensive parks and trails.
You haven't been here I guess Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve & Environmental Education Center - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Great place to hike and it's right in Cheektowaga!

Old 10-29-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
You haven't been here I guess Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve & Environmental Education Center - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Great place to hike and it's right in Cheektowaga!
That area was developed as a preserve many years after I left. We never had extensive parks in Cheektowaga. What is even disturbing is that Scajaquada Creek was left to collect garbage and today it is a major problem of a polluted waterway. There were no trails and no attempt to preserve land.

Here in the West, water is very precious. So, every little creek, natural water body is treated with respect. I was amazed by all the trails and parks which existed for many decades. I am not talking about the Federal Forest in the Rockies which is extensive; I am pointing out all the land that is set aside within the municipal boundaries for open space and nature which connect with parks and trails all over the area.

Here is a Map of just my city of Arvada Parks and Trails:

http://maps.arvada.org/opendata/pdf/...Open_Space.pdf
and this is just one suburban city!

Even Denver has many Parks and Trails within its boundaries. Also the city has the Denver Mountain Park System
http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/747..._and_Guide.pdf

There are county parks and open space. The parks, trails, open space of the cities and counties interconnect and one can bike and hike for miles and stay in the metro area.

All this started to come into development well back in the early history of the area. Keep in mind when you look at these maps that there are many reservoirs because this is a semi-arid area so water storage is necessary but they are also used for recreation and you will parks and trails that abut these water bodies. I actually live close to more water bodies than when I grew up in Cheektowaga because of the need to preserve the water resources.

In Cheektowaga, you have the Great Lakes and consequently a little creek is no big deal and consequently you have abused it. Even along the Lakes, areas were ignored. I remember Buffalo Municipal Beach as full of trash and weeds. Going on the Thruway to the Peace Bridge, we would pass a La Salle Park and it was total trash. I know some of this has been cleanup and preservation has been established with trails but it shows the bad historical tradition for natural preservation in the past.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-29-2014 at 10:49 AM..

Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
You are right Denver is not the same crowd as NYC. Wrong for me to charaterize. I'm just frustrated with the wholesale genrification and stripping of the "old school" middle class from primary cities like NYC. The change I've scene in just 15 years here has just been insane. It's stripped the soul out of NYC and replaced it with this highly materialistic and superficial upper middle class/wealthy group that I find boring. I want to live around real people again!

Gentrification on a moderate scale is good because it weeds out the thugs and makes a place more livable. However when it progresses to such a point where cops and teachers can't afford to live in a decent area, it's gone too far.
I do agree! Denver has taken notice of this problem and has established programs to provide affordable housing and set asides for lower income. Denver knows what has happened to San Francisco and does not want to move into the same direction.

Livecontent

Old 10-29-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, I do notice the lack of Latino immigrants when I attend church in Western New York. My parish on Long Island (I'm in Western Nassau County only a few miles from Queens) is probably 40% Latino and I have to say that they really add some new energy to things. Talking to them and hearing their personal stories has made me much more understanding and open to their concerns.

I have to say through I am starting to see more Latinos in Western New York, not in the numbers as other places, but there is almost nowhere now where they are not at least a nominal presence.
I grew up in my early years in Queens, Laurelton near Jamaica. We then move to Cheektowaga. So, I am familiar with both areas. Latter, I worked in Manhattan and did live for a time in Harlem on the edge of Spanish Harlem when that area was real bad many years ago.

I have learned to appreciate the Latino culture. Denver is considered the Rocky Mountain State but it also considered part of the Great Southwest which has a strong Hispanic Culture going back to the Spanish colonization. The West is interesting in that you must learn to accept the differences of the culture and the land; for if you do then you will be invited by this land to be content and happy.

Livecontent

Old 10-29-2014, 11:09 AM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
I grew up in my early years in Queens, Laurelton near Jamaica. We then move to Cheektowaga. So, I am familiar with both areas. Latter, I worked in Manhattan and did live for a time in Harlem on the edge of Spanish Harlem when that area was real bad many years ago.

I have learned to appreciate the Latino culture. Denver is considered the Rocky Mountain State but it also considered part of the Great Southwest which has a strong Hispanic Culture going back to the Spanish colonization. The West is interesting in that you must learn to accept the differences of the culture and the land; for if you do then you will be invited by this land to be content and happy.

Livecontent
Did your family leave Laurelton before it transitioned or did you witness some of that?

What about Cazenovia and Delaware Parks in Buffalo in terms of amenities? Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy:

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-29-2014 at 11:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area