Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much of an impact do Canadian tourists have in Buffalo?
Major impact. You can see them everywhere, everyday. 5 29.41%
Here and there. It's not a big deal, and you probably won't notice. 9 52.94%
Barely any. They generally stay on the Canada side. 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 02:14 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
There is also no motor vehicle property tax in NY, like CT has. That thing is like $200-400 a year, depending on the value of your vehicle.

If I lived in NY, I would be in the 6.45% tax bracket.
Your effective rate won't be that high, especially if you take your deductions and a good 401k amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 02:24 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Your effective rate won't be that high, especially if you take your deductions and a good 401k amount.
Yes. I contribute 13% of my gross pay to my 401k. It helps drive down my tax liability.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:19 PM

660 posts, read 1,005,964 times
Default Taxes

New York is the HIGHEST in the country . . . Connecticut is #21 . . . at least as far as state income taxes!

CNN/Money: Taxes state by state

What U.S. states have the highest and lowest taxes? - CBS News

Quote:
Do you realize that where I live right now has even higher property taxes? I live in Fairfield County, CT.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
New York is the HIGHEST in the country . . . Connecticut is #21 . . . at least as far as state income taxes!

That's income taxes only. You're not looking at the total picture. CT has all kinds of property taxes. Even your CAR is taxed in CT every year. NY doesn't have that.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:24 PM

Default Taxes

Hmmm, I think your tax information is off . . . as far as State Income Taxes anyway. New York State is generally #1 in the nation.

My effective tax rate at the state level was about 8% in 2013.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-us-...-lowest-taxes/

Though in other research it's simply in the top 10:

California Tops List of 10 States With Highest Taxes | CNS News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Canadians are almost non existant through the week. They spillover on the weekends. Most of them are from the GTA and Niagara, so they usually are already familiar with the area. The only place it would be annoying are the malls. They contribute substantially to our economy, so their presence is welcomed. Most of them are quite friendly to us Buffalonians (though they can be pretentious when speaking of other Americans).

Marginally different, sort of. Same-ish weather, just about 5-10 degrees cooler. Less humidity and better summers / falls. Winter here isn't super cold, it just snows a lot. It's going to be almost 70 tomorrow. Snow doesn't stick until after Thanksgiving, but most of our snow really is the 2nd half of December and January.. until the Lake freezes. Spring is a terrible season; late March snowstorms are common. Some years, we get flurries all the way through mid-April.

It almost never reaches 90. Highs are 70-85 consistently with plenty of sun and occasional nightly shower. The summer months are from Memorial Day to Late September.

No, they aren't. No different than Connecticut. Might even be cheaper.

NY taxes are overblown. The only real kicker is property tax. Sales taxes are high, but groceries are exempt, as are clothing items (clothes from state tax only, county still applies).

Income tax you should expect to pay an effective rate of 5-6%.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:27 PM

Default Taxes and Canadians - oh my!

Well if your income taxes are higher -- and other taxes are lower here -- it'll perhaps even out. :-)

But, you know, the area is over-run by Canadians so you should probably stay in Connecticut where there are no tourists or foreigners.

Quote:
That's income taxes only. You're not looking at the total picture. CT has all kinds of property taxes. Even your CAR is taxed in CT every year. NY doesn't have that.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:36 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post

That varies within the state and COL runs the gamut. You are better off looking at the area versus the whole state, regardless of the state.

nep, What kind of neighborhood would you be looking for if you got/took the job?

Old 11-10-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That varies within the state and COL runs the gamut. You are better off looking at the area versus the whole state, regardless of the state.

nep, What kind of neighborhood would you be looking for if you got/took the job?
I have a phone interview on Thursday, so don't get your hopes up yet. Whether they invite me in for a real interview is still up in the air.

Anyway, I want a quiet neighborhood that's suitable for singles aged in their 30's. I do not want to live in an area that is flooded with college students or flooded with families. I would prefer it to be more skewed toward white collar, but I also have tolerance for blue collar folks. I want a small house maybe 800-1200 sq ft with a garage on a small lot, for easy maintenance. I don't want to live in a pretentious neighborhood loaded with rich people or yuppies either. I just like regular middle class Americans. I'd also like there to be some trees and natural space. I don't want to live in an urban environment. And safety is important, of course. I hope that helps.

From what I could gather, it seems like Amherst, North Buffalo, Tonawanda, Grand Island and Niagara Falls might be good for me. The job would be located right in downtown Buffalo, and I'm willing to commute up to about 25 minutes to work (assuming no traffic), by car.

If I could find a house for no more than $140K, that would be great. I don't want a fixer upper though.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:01 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
I have a phone interview on Thursday, so don't get your hopes up yet. Whether they invite me in for a real interview is still up in the air.

Anyway, I want a quiet neighborhood that's suitable for singles aged in their 30's. I do not want to live in an area that is flooded with college students or flooded with families. I would prefer it to be more skewed toward white collar, but I also have tolerance for blue collar folks. I want a small house maybe 800-1200 sq ft with a garage on a small lot, for easy maintenance. I don't want to live in a pretentious neighborhood loaded with rich people or yuppies either. I just like regular middle class Americans. I'd also like there to be some trees and natural space. I don't want to live in an urban environment. And safety is important, of course. I hope that helps.

From what I could gather, it seems like Amherst, North Buffalo, Tonawanda, Grand Island and Niagara Falls might be good for me. The job would be located right in downtown Buffalo, and I'm willing to commute up to about 25 minutes to work (assuming no traffic), by car.

My budget is that I can afford a house up to $190K. I want the house to be reasonably updated, requiring minimal work and updating.
This isn't CT. Most burbs have families. You might want to look into a townhouse or condo. Many have garages. We also do not have lots of traffic. Most city travel will get you in or out 20+ miles in the time you want. FWIW, the budget you have will buy almost anything in a burb, some of it free and clear.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
This isn't CT. Most burbs have families. You might want to look into a townhouse or condo. Many have garages. We also do not have lots of traffic. Most city travel will get you in or out 20+ miles in the time you want. FWIW, the budget you have will buy almost anything in a burb, some of it free and clear.
Most burbs in CT are family oriented as well. What are you talking about?

I actually edited my post to say that I can only afford up to $140K. But that should still be pretty good, I think, for a single person.

I really don't like attached unit living (i.e. condos). I can't stand close neighbors, shared walls, shared ceilings or anything like that. Now, if the condos are detached, that's the BEST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area