Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 07:44 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,222 times

Advertisements

I know the job market could be better. I've heard it snows now and again. But... what would life be like for a 30ish single male in Buffalo?

Although I currently live in California, I've only been here a few years -- I've lived several places, and most of them have weather that would be considered as harsh as Buffalo.

I'm a sports fan, particularly hockey, and there's no question Buffalo does well in that department. I'm not into clubs or anything trendy, but I enjoy hanging out in a bar/grill or a sports bar and watching a game or two. Winter does not intimidate me, even the two and three foot lake effect snowfalls.

There's a good chance I'd be self-employed, so the job market is not as significant for me as for many people.

Allergies are a serious issue for me, especially to grasses and weeds. I've heard the negative ions created by Niagara Falls makes that area better for allergies -- are there any good areas to live within 5-10 miles of the falls?

The housing is cheap -- I know property taxes are high per assessed dollar, but for the actual size of house, they're no worse than Southern California.

The one thing I think I'd miss.. and I miss it now in SoCal to an extent... a vibrant, urban-style downtown. Are there any smaller, walkable areas within the Buffalo metro area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 07:54 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,811,481 times
I lived downstate until I came to college. I lived in the city and burbs for years after and was miserable w/pollen allergies. Know what? Moved to acreage out where the burbs turn to farms ( like the one we back up to) -- no allergies.

I never noticed being by the Falls as being good for allergies when iI was there...

Old 12-13-2007, 08:06 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
I know the job market could be better. I've heard it snows now and again. But... what would life be like for a 30ish single male in Buffalo?
Stay a "hockey fan" (cough, cough, Sabres, cough) and you'll probably fit in fine with the people here.

Seriously, I created a thread that I tend to link members back to. Click here for "Why Buffalo?"

Old 12-13-2007, 08:14 PM

No fear there -- I'll always stay a hockey fan -- I love the game! Those Sabres crowds look like a blast -- inside and outside of the HSBC Arena come playoff time!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:29 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,389 times
We are die hard, dedicated and love our hockey.

There's a lot more to a great Buffalo though. We got a couple of inches of snow today and it really looked beautiful. Here are some great pictures I took this morning.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:51 AM

165 posts, read 662,025 times
Quote:

Although I currently live in California, I've only been here a few years -- I've lived several places, and most of them have weather that would be considered as harsh as Buffalo.

I'm a sports fan, particularly hockey, and there's no question Buffalo does well in that department. I'm not into clubs or anything trendy, but I enjoy hanging out in a bar/grill or a sports bar and watching a game or two. Winter does not intimidate me, even the two and three foot lake effect snowfalls.

There's a good chance I'd be self-employed, so the job market is not as significant for me as for many people.

Allergies are a serious issue for me, especially to grasses and weeds. I've heard the negative ions created by Niagara Falls makes that area better for allergies -- are there any good areas to live within 5-10 miles of the falls?

The housing is cheap -- I know property taxes are high per assessed dollar, but for the actual size of house, they're no worse than Southern California.

The one thing I think I'd miss.. and I miss it now in SoCal to an extent... a vibrant, urban-style downtown. Are there any smaller, walkable areas within the Buffalo metro area?

Thanks!
Buffalo is a good place to be self-employed (if you are not dependent on the local market for your customer base) because due to low real estate value your overhead is typically less.

Loving hockey and enjoying hanging out to watch games virtually guaranties that you will fit right in in Buffalo.

Personally, my allergies (hayfever and mold) are less severe in WNY than they were in NYC metro. I have never heard anything about the Falls and their effect on allergies. (BTW, living near NF is a different experience than living near Buffalo... if you want the Buffalo experience, you are not going to get it near the Falls.)

As far as smaller, walkable areas you may want to check out the Elmwood Village area. I didn't google it, but I suspect you can get more info on that area if you do.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:59 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:

Thanks!
My allergies are very bad when i visit family in June every year,,the late spring is horrible. The rest of the year is very good.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:33 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,904,021 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Buffalo is not a good choice if you have allergies - Arizona is good.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:15 PM

Arizona can actually be very bad for allergies -- they have more visits to allergists per capita than any other U.S. city, and their pollen counts can be off the charts. As most trees are planted and not natural, the ratio of male to female trees is out of whack, and pollen can be incredibly severe. I actually know people who left Arizona due to allergy issues. Mold, of course, is low there, however.

Thanks for all the comments!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:28 AM

12 posts, read 67,028 times
I have to agree the housing in Buffalo and Rochester is very affordable.

You can get nice houses in decent areas for reasonable prices.

Keep in mind they are less expensive than big cities, but you are also likely to not be making big city salaries.

-Raymond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area