U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:36 PM

93 posts, read 424,154 times

Advertisements

I am planning on visiting the world famous Niagara Falls at end of Feburary. Would there be enough water to view?

Any tips?? I appreciate any input!!

Thanks!

CR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 11:00 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,397,744 times
Niagara Falls ALWAYS is running water!! Winter is the BEST time to go!! It is hard to understand how much water the place has or how big it is until you see it. You will see ice chunks in the upper river, sometimes they go over the edge of the Falls -- but there is an ice boom in Lake Erie to keep the ice in the Lake so it does not clog the Power Intakes for the Electric Power plants near the Falls. The American Falls and Goat Island tend to get most of the spray, so do go there - it is a winter wonderland of iced over trees -- if it is snowy as well, the pines-bushes-ground will have snow and the deciduous trees will have iced branches. WEAR BOOTS OR SHOES W/TRACTION!!! To go to the Canadian side (Note: you need a passport or US License or US State non-driver photo ID & your original birth certificate to cross and return --- also you can't have a criminal record -- and the Canadians consider a DUI/DWI a reason to exclude you/if you have any past problems or are on a US Visa or Green Card, contact the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo because maybe you will get over and not back -- get their rules!), anyway, to go to Canada, the Rainbow Bridge is a short bridge but it takes a long time.
Any sassiness and you are liable to get searched; if you live around here, you know never to mess w/Border Patrol or Customs -- the Canadian side if beautiful. I am not sure, but the Cave behind the Falls might be open in winter. You go way down in an elevator and wearing a raincoat and look out at the rushing water. The Canadian side is kind of garish on Clifton Hill. The US side is not really developed well for tourism and the area by the Falls is a State Park.

Do go and enjoy!!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:24 PM

61 posts, read 248,798 times
Water, yes, and MIST that will make you even colder, so bundle up!! I definitely prefer the Canadian side and yes, Clifton Hill is touristy, but also clean and a must-see at least once. If you enjoy history along the water, Niagara on The Lake, a 20 minute drive from the falls is a beautiful little village. Fort George is just one of the sites that comes to mind for fabulous views of the water, but I don't think it opens for the season until May. If you want to stay nearer to the Falls, the park on the Canadian side is a nice walk that follows them. On the US side, Goat Island park is great for views and if you drive to the rear of that park, you can see the rapids that lead to the Falls. Its free to get into that park on the off season, which runs Labor Day to Memorial Day. Also, if you follow River Road (the road on the Canadian Side, along the alls/Gorge), you can go to the Butterfly Conservatory and botanical gardens and get some great views of Niagara Gorge. Have fun!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroad View Post
I am planning on visiting the world famous Niagara Falls at end of Feburary. Would there be enough water to view?

Any tips?? I appreciate any input!!

Thanks!

CR

Old 01-23-2008, 07:23 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,479,806 times
Most definately go to the canadian side - however on our side is a great little restaraunt that i love to go to, petes market house, cash only and very very reasonable

colleen

Old 01-23-2008, 08:39 AM

382 posts, read 1,379,636 times
Fort Niagara on the US side is also worthy of a visit. Besides its historical interest you can also see (on clear day) the CN tower in Toronto.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:12 AM

39,411 posts, read 47,485,369 times
How about visiting Niagara Falls in August? Any suggestions as where to stay and other sites like Montreal. We plan to fly to Buffalo NY, rent a car then, find a hotel, then...
Nothing set in stone yet.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:37 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,767,350 times
Visit Niagara on the Lake and its wineries on the Canadian side, about 20-30 mins from the falls. Beautiful area.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:49 AM

970 posts, read 1,633,642 times
In August it can be hot but the mist from the falls feels great. I've been to the falls many times, for me now one of the attractions is the people because you will see people from all over the globe. I would also recommend seeing Fort Niagara and Niagara on the Lake as others mentioned. Also a trip to Toronto is an obvious thing to do, a great city, it's the NYC of Canada. Montreal is ok, not sure if it's worth such a long drive. If you go that way, I would go to the thousand islands area of Canada/NY.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:07 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,397,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
How about visiting Niagara Falls in August? Any suggestions as where to stay and other sites like Montreal. We plan to fly to Buffalo NY, rent a car then, find a hotel, then...
Nothing set in stone yet.
Only one thing to remember is summer is the most crowded time of the year. On either side, you will be jostled by lots of tourists! It takes a long time to get anything done. If you cross to Canada, you need Photo ID and birth cert. or a passport ( they are currently letting that go on for a short time w/just license and birth cert. -- proving US citizenship; you need it to return more). The lines will be long. If you go up to Canada, skip the QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way/it is an expressway) and take the Niagara parkway and go by the Floral Clock. [All the great flowers on the Canadian side are from their national school of horticulture.]

If you just plan to go to Canada, sometimes it is cheaper to just fly to Toronto.

Also, there are wineries on the US side .

Old 01-26-2008, 08:29 PM

40 posts, read 69,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Niagara Falls ALWAYS is running water!! Winter is the BEST time to go!! It is hard to understand how much water the place has or how big it is until you see it. You will see ice
Do go and enjoy!!
Do you know there is a very big hydroelectric power plant in Niagar falls? Sometimes,they use a lot of water so the water level may be lower than expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area