Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 4,582 times

Advertisements

I'm in a relationship with someone who is an alcoholic. We have lived together for less than 2 months in a home that I purchased. His alcoholism has increased and he will not leave voluntarily. I have already spoken to the authorities and they advised I will need to file a formal eviction notice at city hall. Then, after he is served, he has 30 days to leave. I'm scared. That's 30 DAYS I have to live with this person. 30 DAYS he can verbally assault me, abuse me and even possibly cause damage to my home. I have called the police on him twice already for the way he has acted when intoxicated. My question is, do I seriously have to remain living with this person after the eviction is filed? It just seems like an awfully dangerous situation, being forced to continue living with someone who can be violent.

***First of all I didn't know he was an alcoholic until after we finally moved in together. He was able to drink responsibly like the rest of us; however, after I closed on the house and he moved in, he started drinking full bottles of either southern comfort or vodka by himself nightly. I'm a 32 year old female, I'm not a stupid 20-something. The idea that people change when you move in is entirely true. I didn't make my post to have people criticize me or slap me on the wrist - I'm actually looking for some advice. Furthermore, it's MY HOME, why should I be forced to leave?

Last edited by Luckystar106; 05-13-2015 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 01:39 PM

2,681 posts, read 2,162,251 times
I'd be out of the house before he is served, and I'd take anything of value with me. Assume there will be damage to the house, and chalk it up to paying your dues for a bad decision you once made. Good luck.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:42 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,957,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystar106 View Post
I'm in a relationship with someone who is an alcoholic. We have lived together for less than 2 months in a home that I purchased. His alcoholism has increased and he will not leave voluntarily. I have already spoken to the authorities and they advised I will need to file a formal eviction notice at city hall. Then, after he is served, he has 30 days to leave. I'm scared. That's 30 DAYS I have to live with this person. 30 DAYS he can verbally assault me, abuse me and even possibly cause damage to my home. I have called the police on him twice already for the way he has acted when intoxicated. My question is, do I seriously have to remain living with this person after the eviction is filed? It just seems like an awfully dangerous situation, being forced to continue living with someone who can be violent.

So you knew they were alcoholic before you moved in together but you did it anyway?

Actually you are not forced to do anything, you chose to move in an alcoholic and the repercussions are not caused by anyone else but the choice you made.

File the legal eviction papers, have them served and if there are issues after he is served call the police have him charged and arrested for domestic violence, assault, or whatever the legal charge can be, file a restraining order.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:48 PM

First of all I didn't know he was an alcoholic until after we finally moved in together. He was able to drink responsibly like the rest of us; however, after I closed on the house and he moved in, he started drinking full bottles of either southern comfort or vodka by himself nightly. I'm a 32 year old female, I'm not a stupid 20-something. The idea that people change when you move in is entirely true. I didn't make my post to have people criticize me or slap me on the wrist - I'm actually looking for some advice. Furthermore, it's MY HOME, why should I leav?

Old 05-13-2015, 02:16 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,140,172 times
I think that you need to call the local domestic abuse hotline ASAP and find out how to get yourself safe. I think that you may be able to get an order of protection against him which trumps any eviction attempt and takes effect immediately.

Also, if he's threatened you in anyway when drunk, the next time he's drunk, call the police, NOT "the authorities".

Old 05-13-2015, 06:00 PM

When I stated "The authorities" I did mean the police. But good point about the order of protection!

Old 05-14-2015, 09:54 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,871,555 times
I am not sure which city you were in. I have evicted people from an apartment before. You will go in front of a judge for it. The judge can order any timeframe he wants. If you have demanded him to leave already and time has passed, the judge can consider that towards the 30 days. It helps if you gave him written evidence he had to leave however.

Also, you may want to file for an order of protection if you feel threatened, and also bring this up at the eviction hearing as a reason your evicting (abuse). Have the police reports with you for any and every time you have had to call them. Keep calling them when your abused or threatened too, to build the case file and history.

Good luck!

Old 05-14-2015, 11:03 AM

2,681 posts, read 2,162,251 times
Quote:
. . . good point about the order of protection!
A Protective Order may help with the eviction process, but don't rely on him to be impressed by a Protective Order. Waving a piece of paper isn't going to help you if he is intoxicated and comes after you.

Yes, it is your house, and your safety. Up to you if you want to risk your life just because you are in the right.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:51 PM

Ok, so for those of you who are convinced that an order of protection is "just a piece of paper" and won't really impress anything upon him, then what exactly do I do? Leave my home for the alotted time and when he's gone, return? Why does it seem the law protects him and not me? I'm in the City of Tonawanda, the police are literally 3 blocks away from me.

I thought this forum would be a safe place to discuss this and get advice. Instead, I've been accused of bringing this upon myself. perhaps before some of you hit the "post reply" button, you should really think about the original poster and how your comments can positively and negatively affect them.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:14 PM

774 posts, read 737,766 times
Quote:

***First of all I didn't know he was an alcoholic until after we finally moved in together. He was able to drink responsibly like the rest of us; however, after I closed on the house and he moved in, he started drinking full bottles of either southern comfort or vodka by himself nightly. I'm a 32 year old female, I'm not a stupid 20-something. The idea that people change when you move in is entirely true. I didn't make my post to have people criticize me or slap me on the wrist - I'm actually looking for some advice. Furthermore, it's MY HOME, why should I be forced to leave?
I'm feeling you. People can and do hide a lot about themselves if it's to their advantage. Consider having a locksmith on call. When your "friend" heads out for an event that you know will keep him out for several hours, change the locks. Throw all his stuff out on the lawn. I mean it's not as if you have a signed contract with him. I can't imagine that he's going to call the cops. It's not his house.

As for the safety aspect of it, I don't believe that any situation is going to be safe but it has to be safer for you to have him out of the house as opposed to in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area