Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 05:25 PM

545 posts, read 1,100,564 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to Buffalo... I don't mind the snow or cold, but I HATE shoveling my driveway when having to pull my car out. Do you have to shovel your driveway frequently before leaving for work? Or is the snowfall usually only a few inches at a time in winter, so you can pull out easily? Enlighten me on how winter and shoveling work in Buffalo...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 05:36 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,758 times
On average, I'd say there's maybe 20 times a year where you'll have to shovel (or snowblow?) your driveway. Maybe do it the night before so you don't have to scramble to clear the driveway right before getting in your car and heading to work?

YMMV depending on where in the area you live - for instance, West Seneca gets more snow than, say, Wheatfield.

If you live in a place with a Homeowners' Association, shoveling may be included in the fees you pay. However, HOAs aren't nearly as common in the buffalo area as here in northern VA.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:49 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
On average, I'd say there's maybe 20 times a year where you'll have to shovel (or snowblow?) your driveway. Maybe do it the night before so you don't have to scramble to clear the driveway right before getting in your car and heading to work?

YMMV depending on where in the area you live - for instance, West Seneca gets more snow than, say, Wheatfield.

If you live in a place with a Homeowners' Association, shoveling may be included in the fees you pay. However, HOAs aren't nearly as common in the buffalo area as here in northern VA.
Also depends on your driveway itself. Narrow driveway between houses may result in less snow due to wind, or more snow drifting in some areas. Variation can be zero to tens of inches on the same driveway in the same storm. You can also skip shoveling for low snow but your tread tracks will build up and turn to ice over time.

If you hate shoveling set up a contract with a plowing service. They are plentiful in the area.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:37 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
If you hate shoveling, then you probably should look for homes in:
  • the city of Buffalo that are north of downtown and west of Main Street;
  • the northern suburbs of Kenmore, Tonawanda, North Tonawanda, Wheatfield;
  • the suburb of Amherst, including Williamsville, and west.

You should probably avoid homes in:
  • the city of Buffalo that are south of downtown;
  • any of the southern suburbs such as Lackawana, West Seneca, Orchard Park, Hamburg;
  • any community identified with "the Southtowns".

The eastern suburbs like Cheektowaga and Lancaster tend to have parts that get much more snow than other parts, so those are harder to identify. Generally, the areas south of the airport tend to get snowed on more frequently that those areas to the north.

If you get an AWD vehicle like a Subaru, you are rarely going to need to shovel your driveway before work. If you hire a snowplower, then you won't have to shovel when you get home, either. If you're cheap like me and prefer to do your own snow clearing, invest in a snowblower. Then you don't have to shovel very much at all.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:56 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
If you hate shoveling your driveway, Buffalo is just not the region to move to. We generally get a few significant falls a year that require shoveling. We also get stretches where you just get that inch or two, but we also may go weeks before going above freezing, and that couple inches day after day piles up requiring shoveling too.

You could hire a plow service.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:01 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
This year, who knows if we will shovel -- barring a blizzard in Jan, Feb, or March!

I live in the eastern suburbs/edge of rural ( we back up to a working farm) and we got the 7 feet of "Snowvember" in 2014. Since we hire a plow service, we just stayed in ( not even the street was plowed) and the plow guy came with a high lift on the 5th day. This was a monstrously weird event.

Usually, we'd get less than knee high snows in snowy winters. That meant snow-blowing for half an hour to an hour for a double drive that is close to 100 feet long before leaving for work. After our mid 50s, we hired a guy to plow. Best money we've ever spent. Plus, you will find most people ( at least where we live) will help others out.

BTW, have a shovel and a few snow-brushes in the car and a pair of boots and some clothes for emergencies. If you never use them, fine. If you need them, you have them.

But winter isn't really a big deal here -- unless you get a once or twice in a lifetime storm like last year (or 1977). FWIW, I am not from Buffalo. I have just lived here over 46 years. My hubby is born and bred here.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:52 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times
We lived in the southtowns and it was a bear to shovel.

I will never do it again. I remember having to unbury my car almost every morning going to work by 8am.

We have family in Tonawanda and Lockport, they would get much less snow than Hamburg, South Buffalo, etc.

If you own a house buy a snowblower. Shoveling killed my back. Or if you have a few bucks hire a plow service.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:10 AM

29 posts, read 27,571 times
You may have to shovel EVERYDAY if the city plow packs snow onto the end of your driveway causing an ice mound. But at least it's only October through February.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:31 AM

28 posts, read 36,894 times
I lived in Buffalo for 21 years. Generally, it just depends how the winters pan out. As others have stated the north towns generally get less snow than the south towns.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:39 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatertothotbot View Post
You may have to shovel EVERYDAY if the city plow packs snow onto the end of your driveway causing an ice mound. But at least it's only October through February.
October? Really? The Buffalo area seldom gets more than flurries or a dusting even in late October. More often than not even in the Southtowns or further south and east in "Ski Country" we seldom get all that much snow until about mid-November. Usually, the ground isn't frozen yet and public works/parks departments are still planting trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area