Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 09:58 AM

908 posts, read 1,113,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I said that Nashville's metro poverty rate is actually about the same as the Buffalo metro's poverty rate is what I said. Nashville is essentially Davidson County and is why I used the metro areas. I used it due to a previous thread in the General US city vs city forum.

Milwaukee is the most segregated metro actually and while there is some segregation(imagine that in a Northern area that also had/has ethnic neighborhoods/areas), you also have integrated areas in the city and select suburbs in the Buffalo area.

Look again in regards to the development threads for the area posted from the Skyscrapercity forum. Buffalo / Niagara Falls - SkyscraperCity
Nashville metro is 700000 more people than Buffalo.

Please analyze statistics properly. Besides I'm talking about cities, not metros.

I don't have to say anymore about Nashville. I assume you picked Nashville because you wanted to make some demonstration that Buffalo can be as renown as Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 10:44 AM

275 posts, read 467,997 times
People can trash buffalo, but buffalo will always be buffalo and there is a lot of positive things happening there, esp. compared to 10 years ago. I dont think anyone would deny that yes, buffalo does have its share of problems and is far from perfect. However, there is a lot of development going on there. People in buffalo are happy about the positive change. Yes, there are some really rundown areas but there are in other cities as well. No area is perfect or will ever be perfect. Its about time some good things start happening in buffalo.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:23 AM

44 posts, read 61,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post

Please analyze statistics properly. Besides I'm talking about cities, not metros.

I don't have to say anymore about Nashville. I assume you picked Nashville because you wanted to make some demonstration that Buffalo can be as renown as Nashville.
Both metros are in the 1-2 mil range. They're similarly sized relatively speaking.

Talking about city limits doesn't seem very accurate in a conversation touting statistics, especially pitting a northern one against a southern one. Nashville's city limits make up 504 square miles versus Buffalo's 40. It takes up much more of the metro and therefore incoroporates wealthier, healthier areas into its figures. Both metro's income is about the same.

That's not to say inner city Buffalo doesn't have many problems, but touting both with city limits is almost irrelevant in a sense. Especially when you're trying to act like you're so much better at "analyzing" statistics.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:24 AM

92,184 posts, read 122,439,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post

I said similar and you can't compare cities when one is essentially the same as the county it is in(Nashville).

Nope, someone else created the thread.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:12 PM

6,279 posts, read 4,789,775 times
Unfortunately this thread got hijacked by a poster wanting to show off their superior intellect and denigrate others who are not up to their lofty standards. Its difficult for those who live here wanting to highlight the positive steps the area has taken.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:24 PM

Yes. Some people think they are superior yet cant even answer simple questions if they still live here but can totally trash the city. News flash. Some people actually like buffalo and enjoy living there and are glad the area is starting to turn around. No one cares you are so miserable and have nasty things to say about buffalo and will find a negative for every positive that is occurring in the city. Get a life

Old 07-06-2016, 12:25 PM

44 posts, read 61,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Unfortunately this thread got hijacked by a poster wanting to show off their superior intellect and denigrate others who are not up to their lofty standards. Its difficult for those who live here wanting to highlight the positive steps the area has taken.
It truly baffles me that some people are so attracted to tearing down an area they don't like and arguing with those who see the good in it. It reminds me of the bully in the lunchroom just trying to cause conflict and make people feel bad about themselves. It's perplexing and sad.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:32 PM

I was thinking of the bully too. Whatever happened if you dont have anything nice to say... Buffalo is on the comeback. I was at a client a week ago in dallas and he asked where i was from and started talking about how buffalo is experiencing a renaissance. So news is spreading about the good things that are going on in buffalo!

Old 07-06-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonbuns View Post
Both metros are in the 1-2 mil range. They're similarly sized relatively speaking.

Talking about city limits doesn't seem very accurate in a conversation touting statistics, especially pitting a northern one against a southern one. Nashville's city limits make up 504 square miles versus Buffalo's 40. It takes up much more of the metro and therefore incoroporates wealthier, healthier areas into its figures. Both metro's income is about the same.

That's not to say inner city Buffalo doesn't have many problems, but touting both with city limits is almost irrelevant in a sense. Especially when you're trying to act like you're so much better at "analyzing" statistics.
I didn't bring up Nashville comparison with Buffalo.

And no, one is ~1.1 million, one is ~1.8 million. They aren't even close, "relatively speaking".

Old 07-06-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
No, these threads get hijacked by people who tout mediocrity as growth, half-truthing to others who don't know better.

The thread is clearly making fun of Buffalo, so the only people "hijacking" the thread are people who feel the need to puff up the mediocrity in Buffalo as being something on par with cities that are far healthier and stronger. That's an insult to the intelligence of right-minded, objective human beings and deserves to be attacked with the full-weight of logic, reason, and data.

If Buffalo wasn't mediocre, there wouldn't be rampant criticism. If you can't handle facts or reality, buzz on to the white cliques in Elmwood where you can congregate in a 16-block area of the city and claim that whatever happens there is happening in the other 80% of it. Bull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area