U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 3,492 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been reading a bunch of posts about Buffalo since I will be moving here very soon and I was wondering if anyone can help me with some questions.

- I will be staying in a new complex on Lasalle Ave (few minutes from LaSalle Station). I was wondering how safe is this neighborhood for students specifically (are they an easy target for theft, harassment, etc.). Does being close to the UB South campus make the surrounding area safer? While on this topic, what are some neighborhoods I should stay away from (outsiders not welcomed, etc.)?

- A quick look at Google map shows there are a ton of colleges spread around the city, would you consider the areas near UB a college town (high ratio of students to non-students)?

- I don't drive or have a car yet. Will public transportation let me go to places like shopping centers and Walmart for supplies with ease (10-15min ride)? The NFTA map looks so much more complicate than the NYC MTA map. I will get a car towards the end of the year so I am hoping public transportation will be sufficient for a couple of months.

- I have read about Buffalo's infamous blizzards. How much snow can I expect in the area where I'll be staying (near the UB south campus, not sure which neighborhood this area falls in).

- This may sound odd but what are the utility bills like? Is heat and electricity very expensive during winter/summer? My complex covers most utilities except electricity and I'll get an "allowance" for heat. Not sure what to expect for these two utilities since NYC winters are not too cold and only a week or two of summer is when you need to crank up to the AC.

- Any other general advice for a newcomer?

Thanks, I appreciate any new information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 12:46 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,395,663 times
[quote=Wekker;44602120]Hello, I have been reading a bunch of posts about Buffalo since I will be moving here very soon and I was wondering if anyone can help me with some questions.

- I will be staying in a new complex on Lasalle Ave (few minutes from LaSalle Station). I was wondering how safe is this neighborhood for students specifically (are they an easy target for theft, harassment, etc.). Does being close to the UB South campus make the surrounding area safer? While on this topic, what are some neighborhoods I should stay away from (outsiders not welcomed, etc.)?

Basically University Heights, its not the safest place in the city but far from the worst and common sense will keep you safe. If you are used to the MTA, I suspect you are from NYC or NY area. It is safe here in relation to lots of the downstate area..

- A quick look at Google map shows there are a ton of colleges spread around the city, would you consider the areas near UB a college town (high ratio of students to non-students)?

Yes, but so is Elmwood Village

- I don't drive or have a car yet. Will public transportation let me go to places like shopping centers and Walmart for supplies with ease (10-15min ride)? The NFTA map looks so much more complicate than the NYC MTA map. I will get a car towards the end of the year so I am hoping public transportation will be sufficient for a couple of months.

Lasalle Station is the MetroRail. Main St. is the bus. Both go to Campus Station - where you can catch the UB bus, The Stampede to North Campus. The to/from classes is not an issue ( it should be fast). However, you won't get MTA service around here. Your best bet is shopping Niagara Falls Blvd to stores in Tonawanda or Boulevard Mall; it isn't going to be fast. Get a monthly bus pass and save money on NFTA

- I have read about Buffalo's infamous blizzards. How much snow can I expect in the area where I'll be staying (near the UB south campus, not sure which neighborhood this area falls in).

Very minor, in relation to most of the county

- This may sound odd but what are the utility bills like? Is heat and electricity very expensive during winter/summer? My complex covers most utilities except electricity and I'll get an "allowance" for heat. Not sure what to expect for these two utilities since NYC winters are not too cold and only a week or two of summer is when you need to crank up to the AC.

It is not that much colder in winter. It is a lot less humid and cooler than downstate in summer. Electric depend on the supplier/probably by National Grid there. National Fuel (gas heat) is cheap. I would n't think it will be really bad

- Any other general advice for a newcomer?

Don't believe what people from downstate tell you. I came here from downstate for college with the same silly drama stories. (That was the 1960s. I never left). Learn that everything is less intense here, things go slower, and go with the flow. Come as early as you can and explore.

Thanks, I appreciate any new information.[/quote

Old 07-04-2016, 11:21 AM

52 posts, read 32,382 times
Winters can be bleak and brutal, but overall Buffalo is awesome, and the food is amazing.

I recommend having a car, but if you're not going to have a car, you're living in the perfect spot.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:07 PM

29 posts, read 17,025 times
Yes I agree with all of the above - Buffalo is NOT like NYC transportation wise, meaning it's geared more towards using a car, but you CAN get around with public transpo if you are smart like the first poster mentioned. I miss Buffalo, the city is awesome and the food really really is amazing.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:13 PM

871 posts, read 1,305,617 times
If you're just doing groceries there's an Aldi's (grocery) right on the corner of LaSalle and main and there's a Tops not too far from university station. There are a few good restaurants on that strip of Main street as well. As far as retail stuff your best bet is getting to Kenmore and catching the 5 out to Target (clothes and some durable goods and such).

Old 07-22-2016, 06:44 AM

85 posts, read 70,286 times
One thing I will add about Buffalo's weather.....from May to September, the weather here is amazing for about 20 weeks of the year from memorial day to labor day....the weather is near perfect.....you cannot beat a summer in western new york

And this is a great city for the summer, lots of outdoors activities to be done in this area. Festivals, hiking at Devil's hole, beaches, niagara falls (canadian side) canalside, kayaking, outdoor restaurants, ....

Im not a fan of living in Buffalo honestly, but I do believe it is a great place to visit, and visit often.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:00 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,295,953 times
The Amherst, Hertel, and Kenmore bus lines all run "cross town" so that any of those will take you to the North Buffalo shopping district that runs between Delaware and Elmwood north of Amherst Street which gives you most if not all of the big box stores you'll find in the 'burbs. The Amherst line will take you right to Wegmans, WNY's gift to grocery shopping. Hertel will take you to the very heart of the NB shopping district.

WNY doesn't really get blizzards, although the media likes to panic people with "blizzard of the century" crap almost every winter for one area of the Northeast or another. Buffalo and WNY have had only one real blizzard in my life time (I'm 66), which occurred in 1977. The rest of the time, it will get frequent lake effect snowstorms which tend to affect specific areas (mostly south of the city) and less frequent general snowstorms. For somebody using buses or subway, maybe 1 in 10 will impact your commute. Yeah, sometimes some areas will get over a foot of snow overnight or during the day, but during that same time, other areas will only a couple of inches or just flurries. Don't worry. Get a hooded parka, a hat and scarf, gloves, and warm boots, and you're good.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:10 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,324,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
The Amherst, Hertel, and Kenmore bus lines all run "cross town" so that any of those will take you to the North Buffalo shopping district that runs between Delaware and Elmwood north of Amherst Street which gives you most if not all of the big box stores you'll find in the 'burbs. The Amherst line will take you right to Wegmans, WNY's gift to grocery shopping. Hertel will take you to the very heart of the NB shopping district.

WNY doesn't really get blizzards, although the media likes to panic people with "blizzard of the century" crap almost every winter for one area of the Northeast or another. Buffalo and WNY have had only one real blizzard in my life time (I'm 66), which occurred in 1977. The rest of the time, it will get frequent lake effect snowstorms which tend to affect specific areas (mostly south of the city) and less frequent general snowstorms. For somebody using buses or subway, maybe 1 in 10 will impact your commute. Yeah, sometimes some areas will get over a foot of snow overnight or during the day, but during that same time, other areas will only a couple of inches or just flurries. Don't worry. Get a hooded parka, a hat and scarf, gloves, and warm boots, and you're good.

Didn't Buffalo get 8 feet of snow in 1 day, about 2 years ago? As I recall, it was in the fall and destroyed a lot of trees that still had their leaves. Living on the west end of Lake Erie is a mixed blessing.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:25 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,607,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Didn't Buffalo get 8 feet of snow in 1 day, about 2 years ago? As I recall, it was in the fall and destroyed a lot of trees that still had their leaves. Living on the west end of Lake Erie is a mixed blessing.
That was 10 years ago, I remember it well

Old 07-23-2016, 10:39 AM

908 posts, read 908,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
The snow is localized. 15 miles apart two people have totally different experiences.

I believe there was a 5-footer on the southtowns a couple years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or