U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 07:14 AM

56,248 posts, read 80,408,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
HOA is 75 dollars per quarter, and we have two pools, a workout center and showers. Most houses in the suburbs have HOA, only in the rural areas do not have HOA.

Toll tax refers to the toll highways that some people take. I do not take them to get to work, but if you need to go downtown they can get expensive. Some of the toll roads are based on demand, so rush hour will cost more than off peak times. I spend maybe 5 dollars per week on toll roads.
Thanks for the info.....

In terms of the thread topic, you of course you have this city neighborhood: The Elmwood Village Association

Elmwood Strip - City of Buffalo - Neighborhoods - Map Collection - University at Buffalo Libraries
Delaware District - City of Buffalo - Neighborhoods - Map Collection - University at Buffalo Libraries

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9188...7i13312!8i6656

Census tracts/block groups in the neighborhood:
Census Tract 006302 in Erie County, New York
Census Tract 016900 in Erie County, New York
Census Tract 006301 in Erie County, New York
Census Tract 006501 in Erie County, New York
Census Block Group 006601-2 in Erie County, New York
Census Block Group 006602-2 in Erie County, New York
Census Block Group 006602-1 in Erie County, New York
Census Tract 006701 in Erie County, New York
Census Block Group 006702-3 in Erie County, New York

Zip code info: 14222 Zip Code - USA.comô
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 04:48 PM

255 posts, read 160,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is there an HOA or are you HOA free? I've heard of a toll tax, but is that anything substantial?
Even If their is a HOA fee, with the low property taxes it's still tons & tons cheaper then NYS property's tax and the HOA fee's are paying for the landscaping services, your private golf courses, & club houses. private Lighted tennis courts & sand volleyball courts, the private swimming pools/water parks &
private fitness centers etc... usually once a month they have catered banquets/party's, trips to NBA, MLB,
WNBA, NHL & NFL with reduced tickets with free bus's.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanLegs View Post
Even If their is a HOA fee, with the low property taxes it's still tons & tons cheaper then NYS property's tax and the HOA fee's are paying for the landscaping services, your private golf courses, & club houses. private Lighted tennis courts & sand volleyball courts, the private swimming pools/water parks &
private fitness centers etc... usually once a month they have catered banquets/party's, trips to NBA, MLB,
That's nice, but it is essentially a form of privitized taxation or still counts towards services performed in that neighborhood. Rates can vary as well.

Many HOA's have their share of restrictions as well. So, that is something that people should be made aware of.

No one is saying it is a tit for tat, but there are other fees and aspects to cost of living that could be more prevalent. That is why overall cost of living should be considered. For instance, here is median home price info by metro: U.S. House Median Value Metro Area Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-23-2016 at 06:40 PM..

Old 08-23-2016, 06:41 PM

Here is an article about another Buffalo neighborhood: The Hamlin Park Neighborhood: A Strong Community and One You Should be Seriously Considering – Buffalo Rising

Old 08-23-2016, 06:50 PM
JH6

1,333 posts, read 2,605,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanLegs View Post

Yes I live in a very basic community. The HOA provides landscaping to common areas, but not my yard. We have a club house, showers, gym and a half olympic pool with a splash pool for children, also on site lifeguards.

The community a couple miles away is much newer and offers more. They have several pools, a golf course, and a few more ammenities.

A few times a year our HOA puts on ice cream trucks, or food trucks to come to the pool, and that is included in the price we pay for dues. The kids love it. They also have easter egg hunts, and all kinds of stuff for children. It is actually pretty nice. They do get people together for AAA Baseball games in the summer also.

Coming from WNY, I felt like a millionaire the first year I lived here. Now I learn it is pretty normal.

Although we have zero state income tax, Texas is actually pretty high in terms of property taxes, but if you live in your house you claim Homestead Exemption which lowers your tax base a little bit. HONESTLY I think its a good deal. I don't mind having taxes when the roads are being built brand new, and the city and county do a nice job of building things that people like. I can not say enough about the area.

Yeah it is extra taxation for the HOA but they do work. My friend lives a few streets outside the city in a non HOA area. Houses look like dumps. Around here someone comes around and sends warnings to those who don't have a nice house or a nice lawn. We wanted to paint our house a new color and put on some new exterior doors. They approved my request for the change in 24 hours.

HOA is pretty common most areas I go, Florida, Arizona, Nevada, Texas. They are fairly uncommon in WNY and people think it is a scam.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:22 AM

241 posts, read 160,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baffaloed View Post
I work for a tech company of about 100 employees in a suburb very close to Buffalo. Browsing around on my work phone, I noticed that my colleagues home addresses are visible on my Maps app. This got me curious, and I struck up some conversations about living in Buffalo. Found out that...

-- About 10 coworkers (and myself) live in Buffalo. All of them rent (as do I). The rest live in suburbs.
-- Many former Buffalo renters are now home owners in the suburbs
-- Several Buffalo renters are looking for a house to buy in the suburbs
-- Zero coworkers own a home in Buffalo. Zero have any plans to (that I know of).

I came to realize that I don't actually know anyone who owns a home in Buffalo as their primary residence. A couple friends did in the past, but moved either out of the area, or to the suburbs.

In some cities, affordability is a major issue, but here in Buffalo this is not the case. Why are the suburbs such a strong draw?
Different people different perks I suppose . For me , why would I ever want to live in the city? I'm about 30 mins out in the burbs . My kids goto a good school and I don't have to worry about trashy people , that's probably the big one .I can't see my neighbors house from mine , total privacy , no one in my business . We actually have a yard and woods where kids can play , not a street corner . I'm sure if my kids went to a buffalo school it would be a major culture shock .

So I guess it does boil down to quality of family life for me . If I was single and alone , younger , I could see myself in the city .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or