Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 08:35 AM

6,388 posts, read 4,896,864 times

Advertisements

Maybe its because those people miss the area. Now that its on the upswing, if they constantly denigrate it maybe they can convince themselves its not nice and they didn't make a mistake leaving. In the end it doesn't matter what they post because those of us living here can see the improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 05:24 PM

969 posts, read 2,071,690 times
I think the Buffalo forum is pretty impressive actually. There's no over-reaching homerism and there's really only 1 persistent negative poster and I think noone takes those seriously. The negative posts exist everywhere, usually has nothing to do with the topic or city and has everything to do with the poster. I think usually in the case of citydata it's related to some bad personal experiences or failures that's created bitterness where anything positive towards the city just furthers the poster's misery.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:09 PM

8 posts, read 9,127 times
It simply makes no sense that anyone would ever say anything negative about Buffalo. People who leave for trivial reasons such as career advancement all long for Buffalo 24/7. After all, housing is cheap and it's a great place to raise kids, so there is no logical reason whatsoever why anyone would ever move away from Western New York.

If this negativity continues I will switch back to reading Buffalo Rising exclusively.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:17 AM

Well by negative posts, I think what is meant is the effort to twist anything good into bad, to ignore the ongoing positive changes, and focus completely on the negative. Clear sign of lunacy. Reality is both pos & neg. Buffalo Rising... I used to read that, but it got old. Seems very 1-note with the craft beer, vegan, bike trail, organic, green, artsy-fartsy, etc. stuff. I like all that stuff but just reached my limit.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:10 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Some people see the glass half empty, some see it half full.

I think the bulk of folks here tend to see things in a fairly level, realistic manner. Not everyone, but most... and ultimately the cream always rises to the top anyway.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:43 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
My (now) local CD forum (Long Island) makes the Buffalo forum look like Shagri-la. If anyone thinks the Buffalo forum is negative, pessimistic, or full of complainers...spend some time on LI. LOL. Heck, they (we) even think Canadian coins are a foreign currency! (those nitpickers)

Old 09-28-2016, 04:20 PM

255 posts, read 235,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Maybe its because those people miss the area. Now that its on the upswing, if they constantly denigrate it maybe they can convince themselves its not nice and they didn't make a mistake leaving. In the end it doesn't matter what they post because those of us living here can see the improvement.
Really a upswing

Population loss's are speeding up every year
]
WNY Towns & Villages are going to be dissolved because the shrinking tax base can't
pay for the cost of providing the basic services anymore

More business's are closing everyday

Crime rate going threw the roof ! and that's without the gag order about all the crime at Canal Side & Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus that's happing now in the day light hours too.

taxes are going up

But the politician's & public sector workers are all getting there yearly raises which
are already the highest in the country next to Hamptons on Long Island

Public safety issues or lack of it is getting worst with all volunteer firefighters that were
young are leaving the area and leaving mostly 60+ year old's who can't pass the physical
to be able to wear a air pack

Yep sure sounds like a upswing maybe not,

Old 09-28-2016, 08:45 PM

I still can't get over the K-mart closings. All this time I thought Buffalo is hip, but you ain't hip if you ain't got K-mart. Where will people shop? As soon as I can find a place where K-mart is opening or thriving, I'm there.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:03 AM

255 posts, read 235,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
I still can't get over the K-mart closings. All this time I thought Buffalo is hip, but you ain't hip if you ain't got K-mart. Where will people shop? As soon as I can find a place where K-mart is opening or thriving, I'm there.

45 years of losing of population every single year and 45 years of raising taxes every year
See the connection ? A area is either growing or dying, Yet it's the same old, same old, taxes keep going
up & population losses keep speeding up every year. WNY lost 5,236 long rail residents in just one year
in the last census. Even the tallest building in Buffalo, One Seneca Place, (38 floors which was built in 1970 and that was the last time a skyscraper was built in Buffalo was 47 years ago) went bankrupt and is all empty & is all 100% vacant. Also 1970 was also the last time a thruway was built in WNY, Then Theirs the NFL Football stadium that was built in 1973, oldest in the NFL and sure looks like it) and theirs the old Central Terminal 17 floor train station that closed in 1970's and been vacant & all empty and decaying for the last 40 years, but people go down there and pick up all the trash up, pick the weeds and plant flowers and then they say see Buffalo is on the upswing & rebirth because they picked weeds & planted flowers, or they put colored flood lights on the dilapidated silos, decaying building's, & the Peace Bridge that was built in 1927, that was suppose to replaced with a new signature bridge for over 30 years that never happened.

PS The Light Rail Metro Rail System opened in 1986, their was suppose to extension lines
to North Towns, UB Amherst, Airport, South Towns in by 1996 and 30 years later, and
not one extension

Last edited by TanLegs; 09-29-2016 at 10:12 AM..

Old 09-30-2016, 03:47 AM

Maybe it takes something exceedingly and profoundly devastating to see the light and turn things around... and I believe that something is the closing of K-marts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area