Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 09:34 PM

9 posts, read 17,552 times

Advertisements

I've been living in Rochester, NY for the past 6 years and was always told how horrible and dangerous Buffalo is/was. I was honestly shocked, because I have gone there for concerts and left around midnight and never had any issues. But here in Rochester, I was offered coke while driving in Henrietta during the day and offered shrooms and hash at the gas station! I'm considering going to college in Buffalo however, I do have a two year old son and a husband, so tell me, is Buffalo/Niagara Falls really all that bad? I love how close it is to St.Catharines and Toronto. Rochester just had two people turn up dead in the Canal this summer, and shots fired at the beach. Not too thrilled about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 10:54 PM

574 posts, read 378,249 times
Buffalo has its share of problems. Certain parts of Buffalo tend to be more questionable (East Side) comes to mind. You may enjoy Elmwood Village, in the city, but not in a very questionable area. More of a problem at night though, as far as I know. Canalside/waterfront among other "touristy" locations tend to be alright. Though I have heard a few stories about the waterfront, at night. If I were you,I would reside in the suburbs (East Aurora, Elma, Clarence, Akron/Newstead, Amherst/Williamsville etc.) that is if you can commute. Would you rent or own? What is your budget? What is your requirement in terms of schooling for your child? Would you utilize public schools, private? If you homeschool, less issues there, especially if you would reside in the city. Tye public schools in Buffalo range from not so great, to very academic.

Hope I helped a bit,

SSeligman

Old 08-28-2016, 10:58 PM

92,061 posts, read 122,237,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_desiree View Post
I've been living in Rochester, NY for the past 6 years and was always told how horrible and dangerous Buffalo is/was. I was honestly shocked, because I have gone there for concerts and left around midnight and never had any issues. But here in Rochester, I was offered coke while driving in Henrietta during the day and offered shrooms and hash at the gas station! I'm considering going to college in Buffalo however, I do have a two year old son and a husband, so tell me, is Buffalo/Niagara Falls really all that bad? I love how close it is to St.Catharines and Toronto. Rochester just had two people turn up dead in the Canal this summer, and shots fired at the beach. Not too thrilled about that.
Where in Henrietta? What part of the canal? Some Rush-Henrietta info: Rush-Henrietta Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Rush-Henrietta Central School District Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢

Also, if you want to be within a closer proximity to those Ontario cities, perhaps look into Niagara Community College and Niagara University. DeVeaux is a nice neighborhood in the far northern portion of the city that is adjacent to Lewiston(town and village), which could be another option. Porter(town)/the village of Youngstown may be another option. DeVeaux info: Census Tract 020100 in Niagara County, New York

Niagara Falls, NY: DeVeaux - SkyscraperPage Forum

Lewiston-Porter info: Lewiston-Porter Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

ArtPark is in that area as well.

For the urban pioneer, this NF program may be of interest to you: t4c20120801102807-8631529

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-29-2016 at 12:01 AM..

Old 08-28-2016, 11:37 PM

821 posts, read 752,271 times
Buffalo is not as bad as everyone says. In Buffalo city proper, I would argue there are nicer areas than the city of Rochester proper. My cousin is in her 20s and her and her husband bought and renovated a home in the Parkside neighborhood. She sold her car and takes the subway to work every day, and she has never complained of any sort of crime in her neighborhood. She loves living in the city, and Buffalo is steadily getting these nicer neighborhoods, although there are many still many areas I would avoid.

Sure, I would never walk in East side at night, but every city has areas like that. Amherst, a suburb of Buffalo, is very close to most colleges in Buffalo and is routinely ratred as one of the safest towns in America. There are many varieties, styles, and densities of houses in Amherst so I would advise looking there.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:40 PM

821 posts, read 752,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Buffalo is not as bad as everyone says. In Buffalo city proper, I would argue there are nicer areas than the city of Rochester proper. My cousin is in her 20s and her and her husband bought and renovated a home in the Parkside neighborhood. She sold her car and takes the subway to work every day, and she has never complained of any sort of crime in her neighborhood. She loves living in the city, and Buffalo is steadily getting these nicer neighborhoods, although there are many still many areas I would avoid.

Sure, I would never walk in East side at night, but every city has areas like that. Amherst, a suburb of Buffalo, is very close to most colleges in Buffalo and is routinely ratred as one of the safest towns in America. There are many varieties, styles, and densities of houses in Amherst so I would advise looking there.
*still many areas, not many still many areas*

Old 08-29-2016, 10:10 AM

244 posts, read 410,931 times
I've never understood the Rochester vs. Buffalo hatred. Rochester has just as many dangerous and run-down areas as Buffalo. Neither are shining stars of urban living, but neither are as bad as their reputation would indicate.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:34 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,796,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where in Henrietta? What part of the canal? Some Rush-Henrietta info: Rush-Henrietta Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Rush-Henrietta Central School District Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢

Also, if you want to be within a closer proximity to those Ontario cities, perhaps look into Niagara Community College and Niagara University. DeVeaux is a nice neighborhood in the far northern portion of the city that is adjacent to Lewiston(town and village), which could be another option. Porter(town)/the village of Youngstown may be another option. DeVeaux info: Census Tract 020100 in Niagara County, New York

Niagara Falls, NY: DeVeaux - SkyscraperPage Forum

Lewiston-Porter info: Lewiston-Porter Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

ArtPark is in that area as well.

For the urban pioneer, this NF program may be of interest to you: t4c20120801102807-8631529
This neighborhood doesn't look bad, is it bad? Why are they incentivizing living here? What's the catch? https://goo.gl/maps/Srs9nhj4iQz

Old 08-29-2016, 06:18 PM

9 posts, read 17,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeligman View Post
Buffalo has its share of problems. Certain parts of Buffalo tend to be more questionable (East Side) comes to mind. You may enjoy Elmwood Village, in the city, but not in a very questionable area. More of a problem at night though, as far as I know. Canalside/waterfront among other "touristy" locations tend to be alright. Though I have heard a few stories about the waterfront, at night. If I were you,I would reside in the suburbs (East Aurora, Elma, Clarence, Akron/Newstead, Amherst/Williamsville etc.) that is if you can commute. Would you rent or own? What is your budget? What is your requirement in terms of schooling for your child? Would you utilize public schools, private? If you homeschool, less issues there, especially if you would reside in the city. Tye public schools in Buffalo range from not so great, to very academic.

Hope I helped a bit,

SSeligman
Thank you that was a helpful post! My grandfather is actually from Williamsville but he lives in Texas now because he hates the northern weather. We would certainly rent, as we're a young couple and my goal is eventually to live in Southern Ontario or Montreal. We're paying for a small one bedroom here in Rochester, which is 650 a month plus electric, as I'm working very little right now and my husband only makes 10 an hour at the moment. I would most likely send my son to public school unless it was as bad at the city school district here. Rochester isn't horrible but it isn't perfect. I definitley feel like crime is up this year.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:07 PM

5,479 posts, read 3,963,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_desiree View Post
Thank you that was a helpful post! My grandfather is actually from Williamsville but he lives in Texas now because he hates the northern weather. We would certainly rent, as we're a young couple and my goal is eventually to live in Southern Ontario or Montreal. We're paying for a small one bedroom here in Rochester, which is 650 a month plus electric, as I'm working very little right now and my husband only makes 10 an hour at the moment. I would most likely send my son to public school unless it was as bad at the city school district here. Rochester isn't horrible but it isn't perfect. I definitley feel like crime is up this year.

So what is it that you are looking for and why would you find it in Buffalo and not Rochester? You may be able to move into the Dewey/ Stone area that is in the Greece school district for about the same rent I would think.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:47 PM

92,061 posts, read 122,237,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
This neighborhood doesn't look bad, is it bad? Why are they incentivizing living here? What's the catch? https://goo.gl/maps/Srs9nhj4iQz
I agree that the neighborhood posted isn't bad, as the outer neighborhoods in Niagara Falls tend to be solid to pretty nice. I think that program is for those that may want to help revitalize parts of the city that have suffered from disinvestment or are more rundown, but may have "good bones" or potential due to their location in the city. Due to Wheatfield being the fastest growing town in the Buffalo area and being a suburb, many people from Niagara Falls have likely moved to that town or others nearby.

Along with DeVeaux, LaSalle, around its Little Italy(outer Pine Ave) and the Hyde Park area are still pretty solid/fine areas of the city. This street view is in the DeVeaux neighborhood: https://maps.google.com/?q=4301%20Le...3f&hl=en&gl=us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area