Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 07:18 PM
JH6 JH6 started this thread

1,435 posts, read 3,218,301 times

Advertisements

Been down south for the past five years. Came up north for a week to see some family.

Nice to travel back to Niagara County to visit some family during the fall time. Huge new houses being built all over the rural areas, very nice.

Weather was great, we strolled around Niagara Falls at about 8pm.

Oddly enough, mostly everything was closed. We walked by the Hard Rock Cafe just as it was closing, people were walking by wondering why a bar closes at 9pm.

The NCCC Culinary School looks FIRST CLASS. Great job with that. Also I was shocked to see a nicely done Rainforest Cafe. Most are trashy but this one looked nicely done. It was closed also so we couldn't get in.

There was absolutely no place to get a drink or a bite of food. I know NF is not Las Vegas, but cmon now. There are tons of people walking around and 60 degree weather. We ended up going to a Tim Hortons on Pine Ave to get a coffee.

There is not much to do, all the buildings are not boarded up, but they have VINYL wrap all over them, with historical NF pictures on them. I wish some shops would open up, or something, this is a wonder of the world.

Still a WONDERFUL improvement for NF. My memories are of homeless urinating in the Winter Gardens, and the depressing looking Rainbow Centre Factory Outlet Mall.

Lighting on the Falls was perfect everything was nice.

Niagara Falls Blvd going towards Amherst looks very nice, lot of new retail there. Lots of new retail on Transit Rd around Amherst.

New brewery in Lockport, nice pubs. Niagara Produce Market is AMAZING. They blow Wegmans produce out of the water, and for much cheaper prices.

Went downtown, did not notice a huge change. Vacant HSBC tower. Canalside was ok, looks like someone just sodded a construction area and called it cool, less impressed with the grain silos with Labatt Vinyl sheeting on them. Went to the riverworks restaurant, poor food, boring beer, bad service. Great view however. Non paved parking with ruts and potholes everywhere, I thought my car would get swallowed just parking the car. Pave the parking lot if you are putting up a new restaurant in a downtown area.

Went to the club 716. Nicely decorated, again very poor food. Seems like concession stand food. Place would be killer if they served some good local dishes.

Went to Bocci Club Pizza for the first time in 5 years. Amazing, best pizza in the universe. Pizza in Texas is disgusting cardboard.

Left with a thought on traffic and police enforcement, wow it is crazy in NY. The 198 has a 30MPH speed limit, and police are nailing people left and right. What a joke.

Speed limits in NY are so low it is laughable. Most limits are 75 in texas, some are 80 and 85, and I rarely see any speed traps. Just does not happen.

So many signs in NY with negative traffic warnings on them. "Fines Double" "Cell Phone Fines" "Don't do this" "Don't do that". I've never seen so much nonsense in my whole life.

Overall, some nice touches. Nothing to make me move back, no fantastic tech jobs, no cheap taxes or lack of state income tax. It is still pay more and earn less, then get turned upside down by the tax man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 05:07 AM

93,339 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Keep in mind that TX is a much bigger state and has its population spread out over a huge area. NY is 30th in land size with the 4th highest population in the country and a good portion of that land are mountains. The Adirondacks alone are bigger in land area than Massachusetts. So, those things may account for the speed limit differences.

Also, some of those signs like "Fines double" are likely due to construction areas on the roads. That is where you see that sign.

With the texting signs and laws, it is likely due to actually having people die from accidents where texting was involved. Here is an example: Texting eyed in crash that killed 5 teens - US news - Life | NBC News So, may have had people lobby their local politicians to make a law in regards to texting while driving due incidents like this and others like it.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-05-2016 at 05:18 AM..

Old 10-05-2016, 03:39 PM

255 posts, read 235,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Been down south for the past five years. Came up north for a week to see some family.

Nice to travel back to Niagara County to visit some family during the fall time. Huge new houses being built all over the rural areas, very nice.

Oddly enough, mostly everything was closed. We walked by the Hard Rock Cafe just as it was closing, people were walking by wondering why a bar closes at 9pm.

The NCCC Culinary School looks FIRST CLASS. Great job with that. Also I was shocked to see a nicely done Rainforest Cafe. Most are trashy but this one looked nicely done. It was closed also so we couldn't get in.

There was absolutely no place to get a drink or a bite of food. I know NF is not Las Vegas, but cmon now. There are tons of people walking around and 60 degree weather. We ended up going to a Tim Hortons on Pine Ave to get a coffee.

There is not much to do, all the buildings are not boarded up, but they have VINYL wrap all over them, with historical NF pictures on them. I wish some shops would open up, or something, this is a wonder of the world.

Still a WONDERFUL improvement for NF. My memories are of homeless urinating in the Winter Gardens, and the depressing looking Rainbow Centre Factory Outlet Mall.

Niagara Falls Blvd going towards Amherst looks very nice, lot of new retail there. Lots of new retail on Transit Rd around Amherst.

New brewery in Lockport, nice pubs. Niagara Produce Market is AMAZING. They blow Wegmans produce out of the water, and for much cheaper prices.

Went downtown, did not notice a huge change. Vacant HSBC tower. Canalside was ok, looks like someone just sodded a construction area and called it cool, less impressed with the grain silos with Labatt Vinyl sheeting on them. Went to the riverworks restaurant, poor food, boring beer, bad service. Great view however. Non paved parking with ruts and potholes everywhere, I thought my car would get swallowed just parking the car. Pave the parking lot if you are putting up a new restaurant in a downtown area.

Went to the club 716. Nicely decorated, again very poor food. Seems like concession stand food. Place would be killer if they served some good local dishes.

Went to Bocci Club Pizza for the first time in 5 years. Amazing, best pizza in the universe. Pizza in Texas is disgusting cardboard.

Left with a thought on traffic and police enforcement, wow it is crazy in NY. The 198 has a 30MPH speed limit, and police are nailing people left and right. What a joke.

Speed limits in NY are so low it is laughable. Most limits are 75 in texas, some are 80 and 85, and I rarely see any speed traps. Just does not happen.

So many signs in NY with negative traffic warnings on them. "Fines Double" "Cell Phone Fines" "Don't do this" "Don't do that". I've never seen so much nonsense in my whole life.

Overall, some nice touches. Nothing to make me move back, no fantastic tech jobs, no cheap taxes or lack of state income tax. It is still pay more and earn less, then get turned upside down by the tax man.

You know how many hundred's of million's of taxpayer's dollars already were spent at Canal side
and all you have to show for it is a sodded construction area,

Old 10-05-2016, 05:49 PM

^ That's it? https://www.canalsidebuffalo.com

Old 10-05-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Exactly, one park with 10 sodded lawns that were suppose to be stores, shops & restaurant's and a
big hole in the ground for Bass Pro, but 10 years later and not one penny of private investment.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:24 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
What are you talking about? Canalside is awesome and has amazing potential! Many cities wish they had a green space festival/tourist area right on a harbor. We loved taking part in the festival that was occuring. Canalside was the highlight from our trip to Buffalo. The city NEEDS the harbor area to grow. We drove past one blighted factory after another on our way to downtown. The proximity of Canalside, Downtown entertainment, and the rail service are the only things keeping Buffalo on our relocation list.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
What are you talking about? Canalside is awesome and has amazing potential! Many cities wish they had a green space festival/tourist area right on a harbor. We loved taking part in the festival that was occuring. Canalside was the highlight from our trip to Buffalo. The city NEEDS the harbor area to grow. We drove past one blighted factory after another on our way to downtown. The proximity of Canalside, Downtown entertainment, and the rail service are the only things keeping Buffalo on our relocation list.
Really
We drove past one blighted factory after another on our way to downtown
^^ That says it all about Buffalo ^^

Old 10-06-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanLegs View Post
Exactly, one park with 10 sodded lawns that were suppose to be stores, shops & restaurant's and a
big hole in the ground for Bass Pro, but 10 years later and not one penny of private investment.
It appears that what is Canalside now, is a more realistic plan for that area than having a Bass Pro Shop due to being a more encompassing project in regards to attracting people to the area.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:37 PM

Canal side not much do for 9 months of the year
https://www.google.com/search?q=map+...CH4nvdB9wkM%3A

Old 10-07-2016, 11:44 AM

821 posts, read 761,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post

I'm surprised there were new homes everywhere in Niagara County; it is losing population. Erie county has some new homes being built in rural Colden, Elma and Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area