U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2016, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
709 posts, read 393,379 times
Reputation: 1202

Advertisements

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...ith-grand.html

This link highlights the successful Grand Rapids and the not so successful Buffalo. The article offers the fact that Buffalo is located in upstate New York hurts business, but is that really why? It seems to me we have more than Grand rapids has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2016, 01:38 PM
 
56,323 posts, read 80,558,485 times
Reputation: 12435
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...ith-grand.html

This link highlights the successful Grand Rapids and the not so successful Buffalo. The article offers the fact that Buffalo is located in upstate New York hurts business, but is that really why? It seems to me we have more than Grand rapids has.
If you are familiar with Western Michigan, you'll notice that it is more conservative and it has wealthy families(the DeVos and Meijier families) that are willing to invest in the area on an economic level(look up Amway and Meijier stores). That part of MI has a strong Dutch Reformed culture, which is the ethnic background of both of those families.

I think the blaming of Upstate NY aspect is annoying, because the business community could just as easily use its leverage to make some changes in order to improve the business climate, which I've mentioned many times on this forum.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-07-2016 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 03:37 PM
 
255 posts, read 160,880 times
Reputation: 53
Because the property taxes are already 9 times high then the average and their even going higher in 2017. The City of Tonawanda, Town of Tonawanda & Lancaster have just announced there raising the property taxes and more towns are expected to announce there raising the property taxes too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 03:42 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,003 posts, read 23,542,011 times
Reputation: 11564
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanLegs View Post
Because the property taxes are already 9 times high then the average and their even going higher in 2017. The City of Tonawanda, Town of Tonawanda & Lancaster have just announced there raising the property taxes and more towns are expected to announce there raising the property taxes too.
So what's the reason for it though compared to Grand Rapids? I understand the inclement weather is hell on infrastructure so there's a lot of spending in that regard, but Western Michigan doesn't exactly have better weather. If it's the old cry of unions and pensions draining them, well, Michigan seems to have a pretty heavy union presence and old pensions to fund as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 03:46 PM
 
255 posts, read 160,880 times
Reputation: 53
Do you really to move to WNY ? your taxes go up every year

City of Tonawanda 2017 budget


Property tax rate increase of 2.99% proposed in City of Tonawanda - City & Region - The Buffalo News


City of Tonawanda 2016 Budget

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/city-of-tonawanda/tonawanda-mayor-proposes-budget-with-tax-hike-20151007
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 04:32 PM
 
2,998 posts, read 4,689,932 times
Reputation: 2106
My house is still here not getting blown away or washed down the river. That's why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 04:36 PM
 
56,323 posts, read 80,558,485 times
Reputation: 12435
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanLegs View Post
Because the property taxes are already 9 times high then the average and their even going higher in 2017. The City of Tonawanda, Town of Tonawanda & Lancaster have just announced there raising the property taxes and more towns are expected to announce there raising the property taxes too.
Where are you getting this property taxes are 9 times higher than the average line from? This is pretty recent and doesn't look like 9 times higher, but nearly 2 times the median(different than average): Property Tax Map | Reforming Government
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 04:42 PM
 
56,323 posts, read 80,558,485 times
Reputation: 12435
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
So what's the reason for it though compared to Grand Rapids? I understand the inclement weather is hell on infrastructure so there's a lot of spending in that regard, but Western Michigan doesn't exactly have better weather. If it's the old cry of unions and pensions draining them, well, Michigan seems to have a pretty heavy union presence and old pensions to fund as well.
Just to add to what I mentioned earlier, culture and having wealthy people rooted and grounded in that area like those 2 families make a difference. Both are some of the wealthiest families in the country and I mean in the 1% wealthy. Given their cultural(inc. religious) background and the culture of the area, they are likely willing to invest and grow their companies in the Grand Rapids area. Meijier is based in Walker and Amway is based in Ada(Forest Hills area) in suburban GR.

I know that Grand Rapids is/was a furniture manufacturing center and Bissell is based in the area as well. Bissell is another family owned company that is also HQed in Walker and is the #1 manufacturer of home care products in North America in terms of sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 05:59 PM
 
255 posts, read 160,880 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
My house is still here not getting blown away or washed down the river. That's why
Buffalo only get 6 months of snow & bitter cold and every other year gets deadly blizzards


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpV1Uh5XHvk




Your house is still there, but if you ever have a fire, it will burn to ground and it will be total lose
because of still having non manned fire stations that are still volunteer fire depts


Also if you need EMS , you getting 1960's boy scout level first aid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 06:05 PM
 
255 posts, read 160,880 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just to add to what I mentioned earlier, culture and having wealthy people rooted and grounded in that area like those 2 families make a difference. Both are some of the wealthiest families in the country and I mean in the 1% wealthy. Given their cultural(inc. religious) background and the culture of the area, they are likely willing to invest and grow their companies in the Grand Rapids area. Meijier is based in Walker and Amway is based in Ada(Forest Hills area) in suburban GR.

I know that Grand Rapids is/was a furniture manufacturing center and Bissell is based in the area as well. Bissell is another family owned company that is also HQed in Walker and is the #1 manufacturer of home care products in North America in terms of sales.
At least Grand Rapids MI has professional manned paid Fire Fighters that provide
Paramedic EMS level which is the national standard,


http://grcity.us/fire-department/Pages/default.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top