U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2017, 08:19 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,003 posts, read 23,535,041 times
Reputation: 11564

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey22 View Post
Erie County is just starting to feel the affects of the 2 Fleckinger massive Warehouse's that just closed and and the hundreds that just lost their jobs in Cheektowaga & Lancaster. Now hundreds more will soon be out of jobs too with the closings of Great Batch in Clarence, MGS Plant on Walden Ave in Cheektowaga
coming in March and Now the Caire Inc Plant in Amherst is closing and moving a another 142 jobs to brand new plant in Georgia by Nov 1


A separate notice sent last week says Caire Inc. in Amherst will close next year. The layoff of 142 employees will begin February 10th and continue through November first.
The Commerce Drive facility makes respiratory products. Operations will move to Georgia.


When Buffalo's tallest building. the 38 floor One Seneca Place went bankrupt,
because it's been empty & vacant for years, tells you how really bad things are and when the Buffalo tallest building which is the The city's Icon is it's all empty, vacant and dark at night


When Key Bank Lease's expire in the Larkin building which they inherited when they purchased First Niagara they are moving 90% of the jobs to their Cleveland HQ's. Key Bank already moved over 100 high paying jobs to Cleveland.
Right, which is why it's important that the area attract different people who work in different industries especially as the thresholds for what jobs can be profitably automated grows ever lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2017, 09:12 AM
 
177 posts, read 108,274 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right, which is why it's important that the area attract different people who work in different industries especially as the thresholds for what jobs can be profitably automated grows ever lower.
Great Batch is also moving most of their white collar staff to thier new HQ in Frisco TX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2017, 02:15 PM
 
56,317 posts, read 80,538,246 times
Reputation: 12430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey22 View Post
Great Batch is also moving most of their white collar staff to thier new HQ in Frisco TX
Again, where are you getting all of this from?

Nevermind, this article has similar info, but it appears that they moved their HQ to Frisco 5 years ago: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...?client=safari

There appears to be some job openings at other area facilities: https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp04/ats/...EATBATCH&cws=1

https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp04/ats/...org=GREATBATCH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2017, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Where my bills arrive
8,072 posts, read 9,514,136 times
Reputation: 7986
/\

As much as I hate to use this reference it was in the local cheerleader magazine, Buffalo Business First.
http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...-to-texas.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2017, 02:23 PM
 
56,317 posts, read 80,538,246 times
Reputation: 12430
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

As much as I hate to use this reference it was in the local cheerleader magazine, Buffalo Business First.
http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...-to-texas.html
Keep in mind that it is owned by the American City Business Journals. So, all of the local Business Journals will or should be viewed as such.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amer...iness_Journals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2017, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Where my bills arrive
8,072 posts, read 9,514,136 times
Reputation: 7986
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Keep in mind that it is owned by the American City Business Journals. So, all of the local Business Journals will or should be viewed as such.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amer...iness_Journals
Which is the reason I try to avoid using a local publication to reference a national statistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2017, 05:19 PM
 
1,500 posts, read 1,327,097 times
Reputation: 2253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Keep in mind that it is owned by the American City Business Journals. So, all of the local Business Journals will or should be viewed as such.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amer...iness_Journals

What do you mean? Fake news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2017, 06:42 PM
 
56,317 posts, read 80,538,246 times
Reputation: 12430
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Which is the reason I try to avoid using a local publication to reference a national statistic.
Why? It is a publication on local Business information based in Charlotte and it isn't the only media outlet that has done articles on millennials moving Buffalo or other cities in the Great Lakes region. So, I don't know if I would be too hard on Buffalo Business First.

I don't know about Fake news(lol), but it does help to find the immediate source or to see if the information given is legitimate. I have actually found some information in mainstream local media that was "off". So, the people writing articles or doing news stories are human and can have incorrect information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 09:13 AM
 
177 posts, read 108,274 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, where are you getting all of this from?

Nevermind, this article has similar info, but it appears that they moved their HQ to Frisco 5 years ago: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...?client=safari

There appears to be some job openings at other area facilities: https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp04/ats/...EATBATCH&cws=1

https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp04/ats/...org=GREATBATCH


Great Batch still had some of it's HQ's people still Clarence and they are also closing
the plant down the street too which = 100's less jobs, less taxpayers, less people to shop in WNY Stores, and more Empty/Vacant Building's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Where my bills arrive
8,072 posts, read 9,514,136 times
Reputation: 7986
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why? It is a publication on local Business information based in Charlotte and it isn't the only media outlet that has done articles on millennials moving Buffalo or other cities in the Great Lakes region. So, I don't know if I would be too hard on Buffalo Business First.

I don't know about Fake news(lol), but it does help to find the immediate source or to see if the information given is legitimate. I have actually found some information in mainstream local media that was "off". So, the people writing articles or doing news stories are human and can have incorrect information.
Regional or local publications are the cheerleaders for their market, they serve, they find the most obscure statistic and blow it up.

This article from the Atlantic doesn't even show Buffalo: The 15 Most Popular Cities for Millennials (D.C. Is #1) - The Atlantic

This slide show from Forbes shows the top 25 cities guess who ain't on it: No. 1 New York, NY - pg.1

Business Insider same thing, top 25 guess who is missing: Best cities for millennials 2016 - Business Insider

There are more and none identify Buffalo, that is why I call bull on the article and what this local magazine comes up with.

Last edited by VA Yankee; 01-17-2017 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top