Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 06:04 PM

177 posts, read 160,769 times

Advertisements

Buffalo NY Public Schools have a 162 Million deficit
BPS Budget Plan Estimates $162-million deficit | WGRZ.com

The City of Buffalo just raised the property taxes 2 years in a row and the Buffalo Public Schools alone still have a 162 Million Deficfit coming ! Where is the City of Buffalo's Control Board ? or Erie County's Control Board,

Old 01-28-2017, 07:30 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,223,899 times
Let Feds pay for it

Old 01-29-2017, 04:09 AM

92,089 posts, read 122,294,404 times
A part of this may be a state funding issue in relation to urban schools getting their "fair share". https://buffalonews.com/2016/12/15/a...ls-95-million/

Old 01-30-2017, 05:38 PM

19,034 posts, read 16,843,252 times
Let the city pay for it.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:43 AM

937 posts, read 691,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Let the city pay for it.
Typical suburban Republican, anti city remark! If you aren't part of the solution YOU are part of the problem!

Old 03-05-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Typical suburban Republican, anti city remark! If you aren't part of the solution YOU are part of the problem!
Typical millennial urban Democrat the world revolves around me remark! You create the problem then expect everyone to support your folly!

Old 03-05-2017, 08:50 AM

Talk about calling the kettle black!
WE didn't create the problem, you suburbia escape artists in your lilly white, elitist suburbs that left the city or don't bother supporting the city are what created the problems with your sprawl.

Actually, the suburbs around the city of Buffalo DO revolve around it. Do you think for one nanosecond if it wasn't for the city of Buffalo your town would even exist???

BTW, you aren't even close to guessing my age.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:26 AM

Nice try, suburbs developed as a natural process and in the 60+ years since WWII ended many have become viable communities to live & work with by themselves, they function fine. You cry that they don't support the city, why should they? It would be my bet that the city like many older cities runs like GM or Sears thinking were in the 1950's, money's rolling in, unions are strong and all is good because we say so! Well GM has all ready filed bankruptcy and Sears is not far behind, times have changed, industries have changed, peoples expectations have changed and the cities very often do not change with the times.

I would wager based on postings that most in the city are either well off or of modest means. Those without options are sending their kids to the public schools and those who can afford it go the private route. The middle class that should be the bulk of the city go to the suburbs because they can't afford to live and do the private school. Empty nesters think living urban in neat but once the kids come their economics will determine if they stay or go. The schools are a key problem and parents are not going to risk their child's education if they can help it. There may be a program/magnet school that rates well but because they can glean the top x% to attend but the other 99% of the schools most won't risk it.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:44 AM

879 posts, read 1,620,742 times
My kids attend BPS and I've been happy enough (not any school will be perfect). I've taught them that not everything in school is worth knowing and some things worth knowing aren't taught in school. I've taught them that where they go to school isn't as important as what motivation they bring to the table and where their passions lie. There are quite a few schools in Buffalo that are above average / excellent so I have a variety of choices. My kids will also be eligible for SayYes scholarship funds that will cover the cost of tuition in a state school. With all that extra cash I'll have saved I can help provide for their future. I don't begrudge anyone where they choose to live. The choices are complex and the motivations are myriad. However, the cost of housing in Buffalo used to be cheap enough that you could afford private school and still come out ahead of what you'd pay living in middle to expensive suburbs. That's changed so I can see why people might move to a cheaper suburb. However, the 2nd ring suburbs are just an amplification of the initial flight so I don't know how stable those 1st ring suburbs are going to be as Buffalo gentrifies.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Nice try, suburbs developed as a natural process and in the 60+ years since WWII
They developed surely by no NATURAL process, just handouts from the Federal Gov't in the form of Eisenhower's Interstate Highway System that torn up & divided cities. Route 33, the 190 and the 198 are the perfect examples.
Then the "White Flight" paid for by everyone to use all of that concrete. Cities were not responsible for either.
Quote:
You cry that they don't support the city, why should they?
Simply because (and has been said a dozens of time by highly educated, broad & forward thinking people); if it wasn't for the city you wouldn't have your suburbs, if the city goes down so follows the suburbs.
Of course then there are those so cheap, self centerer, what's in it for me, narrow minded, 'hooray for me and the hell with you' types that just don't care about anyone less fortunate then themselves with their head buried in the sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area