U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2017, 10:53 AM
 
1,491 posts, read 1,323,905 times
Reputation: 2248

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe that there have been other "contests"/submissions from other areas/regions across the state for state funding as well. So, the Buffalo Billion isn't the only example of state funding given out to areas/regions within the state.

Yes, it's true there are economic councils vying for money all over the state. But I'm not talking about the "contests". I'm talking about one part of the state just getting buckets of cash compared to other areas and it's been happening for years. Cuomo knows this, witness his state of ny speeches customized to each area. Never even came to Rochester for that and hardly ever does on a regular basis.


But really, what a shame. If the state has billions of dollars to throw around at just a handful of companies, wouldn't it be more beneficial to cut taxes instead, and give the 10's of thousands of businesses, and 20 million residents all over the state a break?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2017, 11:21 AM
 
56,262 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Reputation: 12413
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Yes, it's true there are economic councils vying for money all over the state. But I'm not talking about the "contests". I'm talking about one part of the state just getting buckets of cash compared to other areas and it's been happening for years. Cuomo knows this, witness his state of ny speeches customized to each area. Never even came to Rochester for that and hardly ever does on a regular basis.


But really, what a shame. If the state has billions of dollars to throw around at just a handful of companies, wouldn't it be more beneficial to cut taxes instead, and give the 10's of thousands of businesses, and 20 million residents all over the state a break?
I agree that the latter makes sense, but we also have to look at people within government that are in charge of the little entities that they govern, which could consolidate or dissolve in order for taxes to decrease for residents at large. That aspect is as much, if not more so about governmental structure than who is in office, as governors regardless of the party picked "winners and losers" over the years. I think this is systemic regardless of the state, but the difference is that NY State has the nation's biggest city and has about 20 million people within the country's 30th biggest state in terms of land size. So, this came about over time, whereas other states might be feeling such effects recently or in the future as they growth in terms of population and development. Some states may stay "low", but then the question becomes does this occur at the expense of something?

Basically, I'm saying that people across the state need to look at governmental structure in order to be competitive on a national and more importantly, global level. That is how people should think, given that one of the most "important" cities in the world is in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2017, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Where my bills arrive
8,067 posts, read 9,499,614 times
Reputation: 7982
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
I don't know what the big fuss was about Bass Pro anyways.

Its basically a dicks sporting goods with a fishing pond, and maybe a restaurant/bowling alley. Also a boat/atv dealership.

We have all the sporting goods stores down here and its no big deal, but they are packed every time I go in.

I have no idea why Buffalo wanted to put a box store on the waterfront, as an anchor.

Bass pro is pretty pricey also, I don't think it would do great in WNY.
Surprisingly Bass Pro is a destination for many, I am amazed how many out of state plates I see at ours when I go at lunch. It really is more that a Dicks Sporting with a pond & restaurant (no bowling alley) and as with most shopping venues if its not your thing then you won't see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2017, 12:24 PM
 
1,491 posts, read 1,323,905 times
Reputation: 2248
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I agree that the latter makes sense, but we also have to look at people within government that are in charge of the little entities that they govern, which could consolidate or dissolve in order for taxes to decrease for residents at large.

In many instances consolidation makes sense. However, these entities have mostly been around for over 100 years. What happened? What changed? Get to the root of the problem and take care of that first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2017, 12:28 PM
 
1,491 posts, read 1,323,905 times
Reputation: 2248
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Surprisingly Bass Pro is a destination for many, I am amazed how many out of state plates I see at ours when I go at lunch. It really is more that a Dicks Sporting with a pond & restaurant (no bowling alley) and as with most shopping venues if its not your thing then you won't see it.

Supposedly, Rochester is suppose to get one of those super Bass Pro's in Victor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2017, 12:55 PM
 
56,262 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Reputation: 12413
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
In many instances consolidation makes sense. However, these entities have mostly been around for over 100 years. What happened? What changed? Get to the root of the problem and take care of that first.
That may be a part of it, but it may be a matter of perspective. Some may feel that consolidation may lead to less availability for residents to know what is going on. On the other hand, consolidation may mean less people involved in government and in turn, lowering of taxes.

As to what has happened, it is complex between some corruption, perhaps greed, more competition from other areas/states/countries(which gets underestimated) due to lower costs, infrastructure issues/aspects, etc.

I think in terms of Buffalo, I do think population size or the legacy of such played a part in the Buffalo Billion. In the same breath, a city like Syracuse has a mayor that has been at odds with the governor at times and play have played a part in terms of funding(even though the county excutive has a positive relationship with the governor). How areas/cities and their representatives present their needs and the building of relationship(s) with the governor may also play a part in this. Relative needs in regards to areas may play a part, as Rochester has a more white collar history and higher educational attainment, that has allowed for it to adjust a little bit easier from a few bigger companies to more smaller companies. There could be a multitude of reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2017, 06:32 PM
 
1,206 posts, read 904,449 times
Reputation: 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Supposedly, Rochester is suppose to get one of those super Bass Pro's in Victor
A few months ago I read an article saying they are just working through the environmental study where the developer wants to build the Bass Pro. And Bass Pro's spokesperson said the company is 100% committed to building in Victor. So I think we'll be hearing more about it pretty soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2017, 06:16 AM
 
351 posts, read 238,323 times
Reputation: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
A few months ago I read an article saying they are just working through the environmental study where the developer wants to build the Bass Pro. And Bass Pro's spokesperson said the company is 100% committed to building in Victor. So I think we'll be hearing more about it pretty soon.
Still working on it as of last week, I see no reason why this wouldn't happen though, Victor is a perfect place for this store: An update on huge Bass Pro Shops store near Rochester that was to open in 2016 | NewYorkUpstate.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top