U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:27 AM

4,135 posts, read 8,923,192 times

Advertisements

My husband taught on E. Delevan for many years, though far east of Jefferson. Drive bys and knifings were common in the area. I also taught on the east side, but farther south... it was not nice.

Buffalo is very much a "street by street" basis for "quality". go to Mapquest for Delaware Avenue and Amherst St. zip code 14216. The houses toward the park and also toward Colvin are very expensive and pricy. If you go north of Amherst St., on the west these places bump into plazas and industry -- scroll to Elmwood and you have factories (roofs will give it away). Crime rates go up as you go west....Go East from Delaware and the area by Amherst and Colvin is where there are 2 very expensive private schools. Scroll up to Colvin and Hertel and this is a nice area. Hertel is a nice street and lots of businesses. Everything is relative....

I bet you could find a nice home in the Hertel area. Lots of older folks moving out; on the other hand, I imagine you'd be at 3 times the cost of the one you mentioned.

Anyway, get the aerial, and look for Forest Lawn Cemetery and Delevan. Between Delaware and Elmwood is fine. The west of Elmwood is either students or expensive. If you start at Delaware and fo East on Delevan, it progressively gets into bad areas.

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 03-04-2008 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 12:13 PM

26 posts, read 87,480 times
I would recommend living in a suburb like the Town of Tonawanda where houses are affordable and in an area with plenty of food/entertainment and very safe as well. Your commute to downtown Buffalo is only 15-20 minutes. Most of the town is good minus 1 or 2 small areas to avoid. It is worth a look. MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Tonawanda, NY snapshot

Old 03-05-2008, 08:06 PM

58 posts, read 295,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokerguy View Post
I would recommend living in a suburb like the Town of Tonawanda where houses are affordable and in an area with plenty of food/entertainment and very safe as well. Your commute to downtown Buffalo is only 15-20 minutes. Most of the town is good minus 1 or 2 small areas to avoid. It is worth a look. MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Tonawanda, NY snapshot
She wants to walk to work and you're telling her to live 20 minutes away? Walking downtown IS an option. I did it for a year and had no complaints.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:59 AM

26 posts, read 87,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynn83 View Post
She wants to walk to work and you're telling her to live 20 minutes away? Walking downtown IS an option. I did it for a year and had no complaints.
It was only a suggestion as she said she drove an hour each way to work for 25 years. I was simply pointing out that living in the suburbs of buffalo is only a 20 minute drive. Some people in different parts of the country dont realize you can be outside the city and still only a short distance from all the action. Just pointing out a different option.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:59 AM

161 posts, read 610,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosslynx View Post
Hi Amylynn & BuffaloTransplant,
Thanks very much for your suggestions. I particularly like the sound of Allentown and Elmwood village. I will be looking at these areas when I come over.
Ross,

These are definitely nice areas within the city, and you'd be very close to work if not within walking distance. If you rent now, perhaps next year you'll decide you want to buy downtown - there are many condos and lofts down there that would be very workable for two people with no children.

There are also suburbs where you could live without much of a commute, or where you could take public transportation.

Quote:
My wife has also had a brainwave (or a fit of madness) and now she realises how close we're going to be to Niagara Falls she thinks it would be cool to live there. I'm not so sure (I still want to walk to work),
Most of Niagara Falls is pretty rundown and not a nice area to live in -- blighted, industrial, not much going on. There are some decent houses and a couple of nice neighborhoods, I guess, but I would never live there. Lewiston and Youngstown are two nice towns that are close to the Falls, but you still have to worry about toxic waste there.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:08 PM

4,135 posts, read 8,923,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coraggio View Post

These are definitely nice areas within the city, and you'd be very close to work if not within walking distance. If you rent now, perhaps next year you'll decide you want to buy downtown - there are many condos and lofts down there that would be very workable for two people with no children.

There are also suburbs where you could live without much of a commute, or where you could take public transportation.

One thing to consider - if you want to walk, you are going to have a long hike for groceries. The nicest city supermarket (other than small stores and the Lexington Food Coop) is Wegman's on Amherst Street. You will need to go out of most of the city for most food shopping. If you don't have a car, this is a consideration. It has been a long time since we had lots of private butchers and/or greengrocers ( there is still a good greengrocer on Grant St: Guercios / not a really safe area though). Downtown is a place you go to work, then you come home. It isn't a place to shop much anymore.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:51 AM

3 posts, read 15,873 times
Consider the burbs to the south, Hamburg is very nice and only about a 15 minute commute during rush hour, Also West Seneca, Lancaster, and elma; nice affordable housing is available almost anywhere in western New york (Greater Bflo. Area) Allentown is nice along with Elmwood, very nice victorian houses in tree lined avenues. I live well south of the city near Eden, we are talking the countryside, rolling hills and farmland and I make it into the heart of the city within 35 minutes no problem (except during a winter squall). Niagara Falls is run down, the Canadien side is more upscale and tourist oriented. This is a very nice plae top call home, the people are great,(I have lived all over the states and I find this area to be a real bargain as long as you have a viable employer. The food is second to none, Friday fish frys are outstanding, try the Water Valley resturant in Hamburg for a great example of down home cooking at very reasonable prices, so much on the plate I bet you won't finish the dinner!

Old 03-16-2008, 12:58 PM

353 posts, read 1,121,281 times
Quote:
There was what looked like a really nice house near the junction of Delavan Avenue and Jefferson Avenue (which looks to be clsoe to a nice park and sports centre) but it was so cheap! Under $35,000! That's 18,000 in real money (LOL) Is it just because the house is in a bad neighbourhood or is there something else I don't know???
Quote:
East Delevan and Jefferson is the ghetto.
Quote:
Stay away from the east side of bflo.
Isn't that not too far from Canisius College? I wouldn't necessarily consider that "ghetto." There are some nice little houses near there, as well as Em Tea Coffee Cup, a nice little cafe that holds poetry nights (I miss that place).

I lived in parts of the East Side a good chunk of my life when I lived in Buffalo. While there are sketchy parts to avoid (Walden, Genesee, etc.), I wouldn't write all of the East Side off as "ghetto."

If you told everyone who was interested in Buffalo to move to North Park/Delaware/Hertel, then you'd run out of room in that area!

Old 03-17-2008, 06:24 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,367,846 times
Everyone needs to understand that the commute time here in Buffalo is much much less than in other areas. Last year I was in CA - omg, I was in the car most of the time every day - its a gorgeous place, but I would never want to live there and commute to work....

Here is this area, the city is ok, but if you want a quieter "safer" area, your commute to say downtown Buffalo would likely be less than 1/2 hour.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:34 PM

5 posts, read 144,861 times
Wink Coming to Buffalo

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I've just got back to the UK from SE Asia and have a few days at home before coming out to Buffalo for the first time. I'm staying just north of the city and renting a car. I'm going to spend a couple of days visiting realtors and letting agents to get a feel for specific properties, but the advice about what are good areas has been invaluable.
I think we're probably going to end up to the north of the city, possibly around Delevan, Amherst or Hertel, but we're going to rent first. It makes sense to rent in a community where you hope to buy so making that first decision is very important. We're going to spend about 5 days in Buffalo and then we probably need to make a decision by the end of May.
Once again thanks for all the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or