U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:20 PM

8 posts, read 24,744 times

Advertisements

I agree with Buffalo Transplant - and I will temper my post above that in some few cases the areas east of Delaware and west of Main can be less than desirable but certainly not true south of say West Ferry - that stretch of Linwood southWest Ferry is absolutely fabulous and then you run into Allentown with its lovely mix of housing and people and eclectic open minded atmosphere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 AM

301 posts, read 1,149,552 times
"South Buffalo is also a very narrow minded racially bigoted area and as a result very same same"

How big an area is South Buffalo?

Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 PM

504 posts, read 1,255,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
"South Buffalo is also a very narrow minded racially bigoted area and as a result very same same"

How big an area is South Buffalo?
Pretty big. Any area south of the river within the city limits is "South Buffalo." Since it's geographically isolated from the rest of the city, it's kind of provincial, but whoever said that was painting the area with too broad a brush. Mostly the people down there are great.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:46 PM

504 posts, read 1,255,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
So, Buffalo morphs, and more than most cities.
Compared to what cities? Over the last 10 years, many older industrial cities in the country saw major real estate speculation in their urban areas and a significant private investment in residential infill. Where was that in Buffalo? Buffalo from 15 years ago wasn't that much different than it is today. No major demographic shifts in that time that I saw. Elmwood Ave seems a little more prosperous, the inner East Side seems a little more vacant, the West Side seems a little more livable and they knocked down a crapload of buildings. Did I miss anything? I mean, I'd like to see the West Side get closer to what it was when I was a kid, but I'm not holding my breath for that in my lifetime. With a stagnant/declining population and a clueless municipal government, there's nothing driving the rehabilitation of the city.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:16 AM

16 posts, read 84,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
Buffalo from 15 years ago wasn't that much different than it is today. No major demographic shifts in that time that I saw. Elmwood Ave seems a little more prosperous, the inner East Side seems a little more vacant, the West Side seems a little more livable and they knocked down a crapload of buildings. Did I miss anything? I mean, I'd like to see the West Side get closer to what it was when I was a kid, but I'm not holding my breath for that in my lifetime. With a stagnant/declining population and a clueless municipal government, there's nothing driving the rehabilitation of the city.
I believe the East side was still mixed 15 years ago, compared to majority-black like it is now.

I'm a bit too young to remember, but weren't the LeRoy (Central Park Plaza) and University Heights areas "whiter" 15 years ago too?

Western Cheektowaga has a growing black population as well, though its still mostly white.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:31 PM

83 posts, read 137,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
Pretty big. Any area south of the river within the city limits is "South Buffalo." Since it's geographically isolated from the rest of the city, it's kind of provincial, but whoever said that was painting the area with too broad a brush. Mostly the people down there are great.
South Buffalo isn't that racist anymore. Lovejoy still is though.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 PM

Default Canadian Transplant - also Fade to Black (Love that name!)

Also Kaiser Town is pretty bigoted I would say, along with the infamous Lovejoy (the name belies its true character, that's for sure!), and South Buffalo (parts of it still totally segregated). I wish it were not and I also wish the near East side was peopled with more different kinds of people too! Sigh. But, then again, there is always good old Allentown and also parts of the West Side especially nearer downtown. Also kudos to North Buffalo - Parkside areas which have been integrated peacefully and happily for many years now. Kudos to all those splendid neighborhoods, so rich and vibrant.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 PM

2,174 posts, read 3,442,904 times
Nottingham/Parkside area is holding on to it's Upper Middle to High class demographics.....BARELY. It isn't far from Parkside to Main St. You know what lies east of Main St. More crime in the Parkside area as of late too at the park. All it takes is a few gangbangers getting away with a little petty crime. Eventually, all hell will break loose.

University Heights is a disaster zone. That is why UB is building so much housing near North Campus. Parents are now being warned to BEWARE of The Heights nowadays at orientations before sending their kids off to school at UB. I remember in the early 90's walking across LaSalle to places like Anacone's and Chevy's without a fear in the world . There was a good mexican restaurant at Bailey/Winspear too. Can't remember the name. Eastsiders have ruined University Heights and it's spilled across Kenmore Ave and Main into lower Tonawanda and Amherst too.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:54 PM

Default glum assessment

sorry you feel so negative about parts of Parkside, northern Main near UB campus, etc. Many parts of the city are nicely integrated and very lovely and relatively safe so it is not always the fault of "black folks" from the East Side causing mayhem. I think if areas are fully integrated, it makes a huge difference. Allentown is relatively safe and it is vibrant and colorful with folks from all backgrounds and provlities. Including bums and folks on assistance but there is a strong working and middle class who refuse to flee out of the area and in fact would not live anywhere else. This makes a huge difference and the person quoting such despair with the UB neighborhoods and warning folks away is only adding to the problem. A doggone shame that attitude which helped cause those parts of the city to collapse. Since when does fleeing solve any problems? And we still do all have to live together especially in the cities. Many folks would find it is a good experience if they gave it a chance.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:14 PM

2,174 posts, read 3,442,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Pratt View Post
sorry you feel so negative about parts of Parkside, northern Main near UB campus, etc. Many parts of the city are nicely integrated and very lovely and relatively safe so it is not always the fault of "black folks" from the East Side causing mayhem. I think if areas are fully integrated, it makes a huge difference. Allentown is relatively safe and it is vibrant and colorful with folks from all backgrounds and provlities. Including bums and folks on assistance but there is a strong working and middle class who refuse to flee out of the area and in fact would not live anywhere else. This makes a huge difference and the person quoting such despair with the UB neighborhoods and warning folks away is only adding to the problem. A doggone shame that attitude which helped cause those parts of the city to collapse. Since when does fleeing solve any problems? And we still do all have to live together especially in the cities. Many folks would find it is a good experience if they gave it a chance.

Considering I was a UB student in the early 90's and lived on Englewood and frequented bars on Bailey as mentioned before does indeed make me qualified to describe the demise of University Heights specifically. Ask former owner of Anacone's Mark Anacone why he closed shop despite bringing in good money with his famous beef on wecks and drink specials. Eastside gangbangers robbing the place at gunpoint.

As soon as an area accepts Section 8 in bunches, that is when all hell breaks loose. Gentrification ? Not in Buffalo Janet. This new generation of shall we say....EASTSIDERS has NO RESPECT for anyone of any color. The state and county "Yes you Eastside loving Erie County Social Services" enable these people in the city of Buffalo to get on stamps ,assistance and Section 8. Yet you don't question where their gold jewelry, 2010 SUV's ,etc. comes from when they apply. Buffalo is a joke and Byron Brown has escalated the problem with his encouragement of playing the "poor me" card for people of his race. He set a bad precedent covering his son's bippy for not only the reckless driving issue but also the shoplifting issue that took place recently in Amherst.

I've lived in WNY over 20 years and am moving out west shortly. Mainly because of the disintegration of the moral fabric of your city. This includes the BS happening in lower parts of Amherst and Tonawanda too.

In the early 90's, there was a strong demarcation of student housing and EASTSIDERS. It was Dartmouth. That whole area north of Dartmouth on up to Winspear is now predominately Section 8 housing for yes......EASTSIDERS. They are wrecking havoc on south campus too robbing innocent women. Obviously Public Safety has their hands full on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or