U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:46 AM

5 posts, read 91,745 times
Wink Need to get to know Buffalo's GOOD & BAD areas VERY QUICKLY

I have a job offer from my employer which would involve moving to Buffalo. I have to make a decision by April 30th 2008, but will only have 2 long weekends to get to know the city and decide where we're going to live (probably rent for first year and then buy). I'm going to visit Buffalo in 3 weeks for 5 days and again in mid-April, but I want to do as much pre-planning as possible as time in Buffalo will be at a premium. I will be working in Downtown and would like to live as close as possible to reduce commuting time (after 25 years of over an hour each way between home and office). If it's not too ridiculous I'd quite like to walk to work!!
I've searched the many threads about what are the good and bad areas of Buffalo and there is some conflicting advice. The general theme seems to be don't live in the city limits - but surely there most be some nice areas close to Downtown.
Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of areas or zipcodes with general recommendations for family orientated low-crime living?
I've also tried the Moderator cut: competing website links not allowed to get crime data, but there seems to be no data available for Buffalo.
Come on you Buffalo fans - tell me some reasonable areas to live in the city limits!
Thanks in advance,
Rosslynx

Last edited by bellafinzi; 03-02-2008 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 01:39 PM

1,415 posts, read 2,573,911 times
Stay away from the east side of bflo. The Delaware park areas are decent.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:40 PM

1,415 posts, read 2,573,911 times
Also do you have to live in the City?

Old 03-02-2008, 02:49 PM

Thanks bmd69,
After 25 years of working in the City of London with a 75 minute drive each way I really want to have the option not to be stuck in a car for an hour or so each day. Don't get me wrong - I love cars - but not traffic!

Old 03-02-2008, 06:05 PM

58 posts, read 222,287 times
Default In a nutshell

Most people who say "don't live in the city" have never lived within city limits and are ignorant as to the true character of its neighborhoods. I've lived in Buffalo for the last two years. For the first year, I worked downtown and walked to work from my Allentown apartment. Allentown has many Victorian houses and the Allen Street area boasts a cafe, a greek restaurant, and a used bookstore (among other things). My summertime walk involves stopping on the corner at Sweet Tooth for some frozen yogurt.

Anyway, if you want to want to work, Allentown is a good area to choose. Here are some apartment buildings that are all within walking distance of downtown (the one I currently live in is the Lin-Nor).

Apartment Spotlight
The Westbrook - Buffalo Apartments for rent in WNY

Check artvoice.com for other apartment listings in the area.

The nice thing about Allentown too is that it's within walking distance of the Elmwood Village. My husband and I get our exercise in the summer by walking up to Elmwood and stopping for tea at Spot Coffee or exchanging a movie at Blockbuster.

You may also live right downtown. I wouldn't say that it's as desirable as the other neighborhoods, since downtown becomes vacant after 5 pm. But, here is a reasonably priced apartment:

Apartment Spotlight

Or, live near Main Street where you'll have access to the subway and can take it into downtown. These apartments are on Main Street and may have access to the subway:

Apartment Spotlight

The subway runs on Main Street only.

I hope this helps.

Even if you live in North Buffalo (which is considered Buffalo's safest neighborhood) and drive to work, the commute will be short - probably about 15 or 20 minutes. The only problem is that you'll have to pay for parking once you get there, which is why living within walking distance of downtown or taking the subway may be the better option.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:41 PM

3,858 posts, read 5,343,664 times
The Westbrook is one of the old fashioned buildings in the city. It is a few blocks walk to the rail and their is a station for the hospital or near it. The minute you hit Main St, you are looking at a bad neighborhood on the otherside. Downtown is easily accessed much more safely by a Delaware #25 or Colvin #11 bus right at the door with a stop there.

As to living out of the city, I live 20+ miles out and my commute was only 40 minutes. My one daughter lives right by the Thruway and is in 5 miles from us ( 15+ miles / she is by the airport) and she makes it in on the Expressway in 20 minutes, tops.

Where in the city are you going to work? That might determine where you live.

If you go to N. Buffalo or the Elmwood area, you don't find lots of buildings - there are more flats; however, here that means one floor of a house, generally 2-3 bedrooms and a bath, LR, DR and kitchen. Usually rnetals are the "upper". However, you do pay the heat.

Another location for safe "building" housing is Kenmore Development: Buffalo Apartments - Apartments For Rent In Buffalo NY
I have friends who live in Tudor Gardens - very much a rowhouse and garage under. Very nice: LR, DR, kitchen down and 2 BR up and a bath. You can still ( I think) hook up your own Washer and dryer if you want. This is on the Colvin #11 bus and also #30 Kenmore ( it will take you to the rail)
Buffalo Apartments - Apartments For Rent In Buffalo NY
Also in Delaware Park apts, many years ago, I stayed there a while. Very nice. Have friends there now; it is closer in the city by about 3 miles.
Buffalo Apartments - Apartments For Rent In Buffalo NY
Both have floor plans and availability now. If I was moving to the city, Delaware is on 3 bus lines ( #25 and #11 as above and #32 Amherst which will take you to a rail station). You get heat paid here, also water, closed circuit TV and also cable TV. You pay electric. These are secured buildings.

Remember, you can always find an apt now and move when you find something in a year and really like it. You are at a good time to move in the year.

Traffic is truly not a big deal if you expect it to be.... the rail is fast but crowded and has only one train ( it is 6 miles long, from South Campus of University of Buffalo) to downtown. Buses are slower - lots slower. Most people have cars.

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 03-02-2008 at 06:57 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 04:02 PM

Hi Amylynn & BuffaloTransplant,
Thanks very much for your suggestions. I particularly like the sound of Allentown and Elmwood village. I will be looking at these areas when I come over. We have been looking at some of the real estate agents and can't believe some of the prices. There was what looked like a really nice house near the junction of Delavan Avenue and Jefferson Avenue (which looks to be clsoe to a nice park and sports centre) but it was so cheap! Under $35,000! That's 18,000 in real money (LOL) Is it just because the house is in a bad neighbourhood or is there something else I don't know???
My wife has also had a brainwave (or a fit of madness) and now she realises how close we're going to be to Niagara Falls she thinks it would be cool to live there. I'm not so sure (I still want to walk to work), but at these prices I could afford to have a close to city-centre house in Buffalo for the week and a weekend house in Niagara.
Is this realistic or is it just the insane ramblings of a mad englishman that doesn't know what he's talking about (yet!)
Any advice would be greatfully received (and faithfully applied!)
Rosslynx

Old 03-03-2008, 05:16 PM

58 posts, read 222,287 times
In general, you don't want to look at houses in the city that are priced too low ($70,000 or under). They are usually in bad neighborhoods. Also, Niagara Falls is very rundown and doesn't offer much in the way of entertainment (besides the falls, which become commonplace after awhile).

You'll learn more about the neighborhoods as you visit and spend time in them. Elmwood Village, North Buffalo, and Allentown are the most vibrant in the city. East and West Buffalo are neighborhoods you want to stay away from, and South Buffalo (where I now work) is safer than the East and West sides but not as attractive as Elmwood, North Buffalo, or Allentown.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:30 PM

3,858 posts, read 5,343,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosslynx View Post
Hi Amylynn & BuffaloTransplant,
Thanks very much for your suggestions. I particularly like the sound of Allentown and Elmwood village. I will be looking at these areas when I come over. We have been looking at some of the real estate agents and can't believe some of the prices. There was what looked like a really nice house near the junction of Delavan Avenue and Jefferson Avenue (which looks to be clsoe to a nice park and sports centre) but it was so cheap! Under $35,000! That's 18,000 in real money (LOL) Is it just because the house is in a bad neighbourhood or is there something else I don't know???
My wife has also had a brainwave (or a fit of madness) and now she realises how close we're going to be to Niagara Falls she thinks it would be cool to live there. I'm not so sure (I still want to walk to work), but at these prices I could afford to have a close to city-centre house in Buffalo for the week and a weekend house in Niagara.
Is this realistic or is it just the insane ramblings of a mad englishman that doesn't know what he's talking about (yet!)
Any advice would be greatfully received (and faithfully applied!)
Rosslynx
East Delevan and Jefferson is the ghetto. Cheap? Yes. Safe? NO!!!!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
East Delevan and Jefferson is the ghetto. Cheap? Yes. Safe? NO!!!!
WOW, that's very definite! It just shows how deceptive a couple of pictures and a real estate agents description can be. I think I'll hold off making any decisions about location until I've visited Buffalo. We have "good & bad" areas in London and it's suburbs, but it seems that good and bad in Buffalo is almost on a street by street basis!
Thanks once again for your help,
Rosslynx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area