Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 01:52 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
what do you think NY does?

They just take our money and pass it around to political contributors on no-bid contracts and land unsustainable businesses with ridiculous incentives.

I live in WNY and hate the "buffalo billions". It's our own tax money being wasted and given out as political kickbacks. and we get to deal with the high taxes, fees and regulations on top of it.
His and the point of the article is that this is something that occurs more frequently in other states in terms of companies and they don't always produce the amount of jobs that they project when moving to these locations. So, the taxpayers end up footing the bill in some way, shape or form, regardless of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 01:54 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
Yes and existing North Carolina businesses ought to be pissed that they are paying tax dollars to attract new businesses. The "booming" you are talking about in NC and Tennessee has do to with incentives being given to companies that local citizenry pay for.
You are right the state/city/communities often provide a financial incentive to attract a business to a locality and yes that may be paid with tax paper money. But even with this expenditure the residents are paying far lower tax/fee rates then you are. Once the incentive window ends the company is still there and paying taxes at the going rate(s) plus during the incentive window they have created jobs and revenue in that community. Where do you think all these monies you governor is giving comes from?

In the long run there hasn't been a down side and many traditional northern industries are now well established in the south and they are there for the long run.

Last edited by VA Yankee; 02-14-2017 at 02:30 PM..

Old 02-14-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You are right the state/city/communities often provide a financial incentive to attract a business to a locality and yes that may be paid with tax paper money. But even with this expenditure the residents are paying far lower tax/fee rates that you are. Once the incentive window ends the company is still there and paying taxes at the going rate(s) plus during the incentive window they have created jobs and revenue in that community. Where do you think all these monies you governor is giving comes from?

In the long run there hasn't been a down side and many traditional northern industries are now well established in the south and they are there for the long run.
That's if they didn't leave the country.

Infrastructure appears to be a topic that may raise taxes and fees: States raising taxes, fees and debt to pay for road repairs | U.S. News | US News

States Take on Gas Taxes and Infrastructure | StateTrackers

Justice budget includes $450M in tax, fee increases for W.Va. | News, Sports, Jobs - News and Sentinel

More: 9 States Raising Taxes in 2017 | Fox Business

Other states have also increased taxes and fees in order to find improvements where they saw fit in recent years. So, the government is going to get their money somehow.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-14-2017 at 02:25 PM..

Old 02-14-2017, 02:41 PM

/\

Yes we may see higher taxes on fuel to pay for road/infrastructure improvements but NY has been paying a significantly higher cost per gallon due to taxes for some time now. You also have the privilege of paying for a highway that has been paid off for over 25+ years. So where are they going to add taxes/fees on you this time, your already behind the eight ball?

Old 02-14-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
/\

Yes we may see higher taxes on fuel to pay for road/infrastructure improvements but NY has been paying a significantly higher cost per gallon due to taxes for some time now. You also have the privilege of paying for a highway that has been paid off for over 25+ years. So where are they going to add taxes/fees on you this time, your already behind the eight ball?
Its not just infrastructure, but it may be education for some states like Nevada or even in the form of property taxes, as more people move in.

I believe that the state uses the Thruway as a way of getting revenue, but not just from state residents, but from out of state residents as well. I-90 seems to be the toll highway for other states as well. I actually came across this article and the toll situation may have to do with federal funding: THRUWAY'S TOLLS TO END IN '96 WITH FEDERAL AID - NYTimes.com

Also, the initial article mentions the tax/fee increases on things like a cigar tax and tax on those that sell alcohol at movie theaters and others that are industry specific.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:26 PM

What point are you trying to make? I don't argue that other states will raise taxes/fees to cover their needs all i'm saying is that you are paying more taxes and fees then most so where will they increase it for you next time? Nice article on the Thruway, so it's now 2017 and you are still paying, my how the wheels of government move slowly.

Of course you are paying the highest state cigarette tax per pack in the country why not tax those fancy cigar smokers equally.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
What point are you trying to make? I don't argue that other states will raise taxes/fees to cover their needs all i'm saying is that you are paying more taxes and fees then most so where will they increase it for you next time? Nice article on the Thruway, so it's now 2017 and you are still paying, my how the wheels of government move slowly.

Of course you are paying the highest state cigarette tax per pack in the country why not tax those fancy cigar smokers equally.
It looks like it is in regards to select industries. Luckily, I don't smoke.....

My point is basically no matter where you go or what state you are in, the government is going to get taxpayers. It is just that NY State is ahead of the curve due to its population and why people need to organize in order to express the changes they want from their government, if not participate in it.

Now that this article from 1982 about the Thruway has been discovered, now I'm wonder if the advocacy groups are going to actually ask questions about it.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:53 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,545 times
Quote:
My point is basically no matter where you go or what state you are in, the government is going to get taxpayers.
So not true.

Oh, the state govt's will get their money one wAy or another through various taxes/hidden taxes. But not to the extent that NY does. Hands down, more like hands up the way they thug you here in taxes. Lol

Old 02-15-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
So not true.

Oh, the state govt's will get their money one wAy or another through various taxes/hidden taxes. But not to the extent that NY does. Hands down, more like hands up the way they thug you here in taxes. Lol
I'm sure if you go to the boards for other states, they will have their tax complaints as well. As I mentioned, NY State is just ahead of this game due to its high population, as well as having the biggest city in the country, being an entry point for immigrants for centuries, giving more to the federal government than they get back(that Thruway article needs to seriously be addressed in regards to federal funding) and governmental structure, among other aspects that other states are maybe just starting to deal with or are approaching.

This why I've been saying that it is going to take structural changes in order to really see some changes in this regard, as both of the major parties have had their chances. I also think that the potential consolidation of Syracuse and Onondaga County is something that people need to pay attention to, as it could show pros and cons of that form of consolidation and may be an example for other areas in the state.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-15-2017 at 06:16 PM..

Old 02-24-2017, 05:39 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey22 View Post
NYS is Raising Taxes & Fee's Again on everything from a 50% hike on vechicle register to online selling

https://buffalonews.com/2017/01/19/c...tax-fee-hikes/
Of the items listed, I see no problem with any of them. Is there any listed that are particularly unreasonable?

I would point out another indication that gov't (at both the State and Federal levels) are coming closer to defining "middle class". I've been maintaining that it begins around $150,000 ($230,000 depending on the formula):

"He touted continuation of a program that lowered tax rates for people making up to $300,000 a year, a plan to offer free tuition for some public college students and higher tax credits to help New Yorkers pay for child care services.

But, he told legislators Tuesday that he also wants to extend for another three years an income tax surcharge on wealthy New Yorkers, such as married couples who jointly file their taxes and make $2.1 million or more a year."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area