Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 01:55 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Retirement also plays a part in this as well.
I have to disagree, although people seem to gravitate towards warmer climates with retirement I don't think there numbers are sufficient enough to be driving the listed states listed. These states have marketed themselves providing a favorable business climate and attracted significant employers. Many show up on all the positive lists including, quality of life, best for professionals, best for millennials, best for families etc. As stated Texas does have some of the highest tax burden outside of the Union run states up north but salaries and quality of life keeps people coming. For those who hate living in a/c 6 months a year it would seem more hate living bundled up, freezing and digging out of snow which may explain why warmer climates appear to be more attractive. Traffic stinks no matter where you experience it but you could also look at it as the result of a vibrant economy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 02:43 PM

93,157 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey22 View Post
You might hate the heat & Traffic, but millions & millions of others are moving to TX, NV, AZ, NC, SC etc...
Everyone is moving and investing to where everyone is and wants to be and no one is moving & investing where no one wants to be and where people & business's are fleeing 45 years in row like in Buffalo. You would think something must be wrong that Buffalo & WNY have been losing population every single year for 45 years in the row
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I have to disagree, although people seem to gravitate towards warmer climates with retirement I don't think there numbers are sufficient enough to be driving the listed states listed. These states have marketed themselves providing a favorable business climate and attracted significant employers. Many show up on all the positive lists including, quality of life, best for professionals, best for millennials, best for families etc. As stated Texas does have some of the highest tax burden outside of the Union run states up north but salaries and quality of life keeps people coming. For those who hate living in a/c 6 months a year it would seem more hate living bundled up, freezing and digging out of snow which may explain why warmer climates appear to be more attractive. Traffic stinks no matter where you experience it but you could also look at it as the result of a vibrant economy....
I didn't say that retirement was "driving" the numbers, but those states also attract its share of retirees is what I am saying. Those things you mention play a part in terms of those that move to those states, but the retirement aspect can't be ignored as well. https://www.google.com/amp/www.marke...8-06FCAC699611

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...3Fsource%3Ddam

Old 03-04-2017, 06:51 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,088 times
Quote:
Average age in the Texas city I live in is 32, the zip code I lived in south buffalo average age is 37.

I find central Texas to be much younger, everyone on my street is about 30 years old, and owns their own house. The street I lived on in Buffalo was mostly seniors, or renters who didn't care about the house.

As for the comment AC 6 months out of the year, its actually AC 11 months out of the year. Just a fact of life. My gas furnace runs probably no more than 3-4 weeks out of the year. It will run one cycle during the night to keep the house warm, and it rarely runs during daylight hours.

Your body acclimates to heat, just like it did to cold. When it gets below 60 degrees here people bundle up with winter hats and gloves.

I find heat and sunlight make me generally feel more energized and happy. When it gets to be 100 degrees I can walk around and not be bothered by it at all. Just take breaks, and drink water.

I don't even get into a swimming pool anymore unless it is 95 degrees or hotter outside. 80 is not warm! 70 is not warm!

People can make their choices in life, and live near their work, or live near a train that takes them to work. You don't need to drive 90 minutes to work each way.

My commute is 25 minutes to work, and 30 minutes home. The road I take to work is along a winding creek with nice views and horse pastures, cattle.

When I lived in the city of Buffalo, I had no off street parking. During winter I had to move my car across the street every single day so that the plows would come by, otherwise I would get a ticket instantly. I would have to get up super early to defrost the car, to get to work my 8am, then fight the slick roads and sometimes have to white knuckle drive each way.

Then at my job, I would scrape the car again at lunch then again after work. Nothing sucks more than working a 10 hour shift in an office, then having to shovel out your car for the second time in one day. Then returning home, and having to shovel your walkway and porch off, all before eating dinner.

I think people are moving down south for QUALITY OF LIFE, and job opportunities. It is not just old people who are sick of the cold.

My family members for YEARS would say oh you hate Buffalo, etc etc. Then they went down to Florida and Texas and all said, wow I never knew it was like this. I see why you moved down south. Wow this is much easier life, and so much to do.

Two of them are selling their buffalo suburb houses and moving to Florida gulf coast this week. They looked at housing in Tonawanda first, and for the same price you get a 80 year old house, when you consider the Taxes it isn't even close.

The florida house is newer, has more amenities and the tax is much cheaper. Even when you add in insurance, and HOA it is still much cheaper to buy a $150k house in florida, than a $150k house in Tonawanda, and you get a better house. Not even considering the quality of life, and weather, which are driving factors for most people.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:48 AM

177 posts, read 162,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Average age in the Texas city I live in is 32, the zip code I lived in south buffalo average age is 37.

I find central Texas to be much younger, everyone on my street is about 30 years old, and owns their own house. The street I lived on in Buffalo was mostly seniors, or renters who didn't care about the house.

As for the comment AC 6 months out of the year, its actually AC 11 months out of the year. Just a fact of life. My gas furnace runs probably no more than 3-4 weeks out of the year. It will run one cycle during the night to keep the house warm, and it rarely runs during daylight hours.

Your body acclimates to heat, just like it did to cold. When it gets below 60 degrees here people bundle up with winter hats and gloves.

I find heat and sunlight make me generally feel more energized and happy. When it gets to be 100 degrees I can walk around and not be bothered by it at all. Just take breaks, and drink water.

I don't even get into a swimming pool anymore unless it is 95 degrees or hotter outside. 80 is not warm! 70 is not warm!

People can make their choices in life, and live near their work, or live near a train that takes them to work. You don't need to drive 90 minutes to work each way.

My commute is 25 minutes to work, and 30 minutes home. The road I take to work is along a winding creek with nice views and horse pastures, cattle.

When I lived in the city of Buffalo, I had no off street parking. During winter I had to move my car across the street every single day so that the plows would come by, otherwise I would get a ticket instantly. I would have to get up super early to defrost the car, to get to work my 8am, then fight the slick roads and sometimes have to white knuckle drive each way.

Then at my job, I would scrape the car again at lunch then again after work. Nothing sucks more than working a 10 hour shift in an office, then having to shovel out your car for the second time in one day. Then returning home, and having to shovel your walkway and porch off, all before eating dinner.

I think people are moving down south for QUALITY OF LIFE, and job opportunities. It is not just old people who are sick of the cold.

My family members for YEARS would say oh you hate Buffalo, etc etc. Then they went down to Florida and Texas and all said, wow I never knew it was like this. I see why you moved down south. Wow this is much easier life, and so much to do.

Two of them are selling their buffalo suburb houses and moving to Florida gulf coast this week. They looked at housing in Tonawanda first, and for the same price you get a 80 year old house, when you consider the Taxes it isn't even close.

The florida house is newer, has more amenities and the tax is much cheaper. Even when you add in insurance, and HOA it is still much cheaper to buy a $150k house in florida, than a $150k house in Tonawanda, and you get a better house. Not even considering the quality of life, and weather, which are driving factors for most people.

Same in AZ & NV Now their even building a 4 Billion Dolllar Disney World theme parks in Arizona Developers looking to build the 'next Disney World' in CG | Area News | pinalcentral.com

Old 03-04-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Actually, the median age for Buffalo is 33.1 according to 2011-2015 census information. So, there isn't much difference between Buffalo and your current TX city. That means that half of the people in the city of Buffalo are 33 or younger.

Age by metro: U.S. Median Age Metro Area Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data
You'll notice that Buffalo is on par with Miami and Tampa in this regard.

Also, it depends on what you are comparing in Tonawanda and FL as well. Tonawanda(CDP) housing information: Tonawanda CDP, NY Housing - USA.comâ„¢

Housing is generally going to be newer due to development history.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-04-2017 at 09:01 AM..

Old 03-04-2017, 09:33 AM

177 posts, read 162,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, the median age for Buffalo is 33.1 according to 2011-2015 census information. So, there isn't much difference between Buffalo and your current TX city. That means that half of the people in the city of Buffalo are 33 or younger.

Age by metro: U.S. Median Age Metro Area Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data
You'll notice that Buffalo is on par with Miami and Tampa in this regard.

Also, it depends on what you are comparing in Tonawanda and FL as well. Tonawanda(CDP) housing information: Tonawanda CDP, NY Housing - USA.com™

Housing is generally going to be newer due to development history.
Most of Buffalo younger population are Refugee's from other countries and on welfare

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/news/2..._database.html

Old 03-04-2017, 11:55 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
Quote:

I don't have any disagreement with what you post I was responding to what other posters believe. Ultimately a person chooses what is best for them and if they don't like hot weather then they avoid those areas just as people choose to avoid cold/winter. Many posters are absolute in their views and see the civilized world ends so many miles from their homes, others take a checkboard approach and post by picking this, that and whatever so that they can prove the same QOL that those who have left speak of.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey22 View Post
Most of Buffalo younger population are Refugee's from other countries and on welfare

Census: Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester among nation's poorest cities (database) | NewYorkUpstate.com
That's not it, as they only make up a small, certain percentage of the city. By the way, many older cities that can't annex land/unincorporated communities tend to rank higher on that list and can't "water down" its poverty like "new growth" cities.

If anything, the colleges and the fact that people of color tend to have a lower median age, likely has more to do with it. There are actually quite a few younger people that have moved to the city as well.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I don't have any disagreement with what you post I was responding to what other posters believe. Ultimately a person chooses what is best for them and if they don't like hot weather then they avoid those areas just as people choose to avoid cold/winter. Many posters are absolute in their views and see the civilized world ends so many miles from their homes, others take a checkboard approach and post by picking this, that and whatever so that they can prove the same QOL that those who have left speak of.
Or some offer information that doesn't have anything to do with an opinion either way.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:31 PM

969 posts, read 2,071,490 times
Ckh, I think you're simply ignoring the alternative facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area