U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 12:10 PM

9 posts, read 6,786 times

Advertisements

My Husband will soon be accepting a job offer in Dunkirk, NY. We will be moving to the area when school ends in early Summer. My Husband will most likely be moving sooner. He will stay in a hotel or apartment until the kids and I can join. At that time we will be needing a home to move into for the long run. I have been researching the area, housing, beaches, etc. At this point I am overwhelmed and still not sure where the best place is for our family to find our new home. This is a big move for us after being here for a very long time and leaving everything and everyone that is familiar to us. So I am being picky for the reason of making our boys happy...not for extravagant, vain or selfish reasons.

My criteria is schools, nice neighborhood, close to nice parks or beaches, and basically the perfect place to make this a nice move for us..under $100,000. We would like a 3-4 bedroom home. One son is 14 and the other is 4. Our older Son will most likely be joining 4-H and JROTC. And the younger will need a great place to play and soon a decent preschool/Elementary.

I have read so many mixed reviews on lake quality. Which is scary, because we would be all about the beach.
I have also read mixed reviews on the city of Dunkirk and the surrounding areas. I'm worried about seeing low ratings of the Dunkirk Schools. I really don't know whether to look outside Dunkirk or if it would be ok for us. I know this is a lot of info to respond to. Any tips, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

(We are driving up tomorrow for a few days for my Husbands interview and to check out the area, so if anyone sees this post in time, any ideas of where we should scope out would be appreciated as well)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 02:14 PM

805 posts, read 519,485 times
If he has a job in Dunkirk, you will definitely want to check out areas south of Buffalo. I would not recommend living in Dunkirk itself, as its schools are poor and it is quite impoverished in some areas. Fredonia is a great college village next to Dunkirk that has much better schools. Areas along the lake in Erie county may also be an option. The Lakeshore School district, Eden school district, or Frontier School district are all fairly good, not top of the line but far from the bottom. The village of Angola may be an area to check out. As far as a home for $100,000, this would be the place of the country you could find a decent home at that price point. Again, Angola comes to mind as being a cheap area to buy a house. I would recommend Fredonia and Angola.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:29 PM

2,141 posts, read 927,551 times
my .02 cents is you want to live somewhere between Hamburg (suburb south of buffalo) to somewhere like Westfield.

So look at a map and look into areas geographically between Hamburg and Westfield. Hamburg to Dunkirk would probably be about a 30-45 minute commute (very easy you would be going against traffic, actually you wouldn't have any traffic and it would be all I-90 or rt.20. but if you wanted to like in a more traditional suburb that would be the way to go.

other towns to definitely consider would be Angola, Eden (definitely 4H friendly), Silver Creek, Fredonia or Westfield.

Silver creek, westfield, eden, angola are your stereotypical small towns. They are all very nice, quiet, safe and have decent schools. Fredonia is probably somewhere in the middle. It's main thing is SUNY Fredonia which is a really good 4 year state college so it is a like a small town centered around the college.

This area is very nice and I love it. In the summer its fantastic. You are very close to the lake which if you didn't know any better if you are looking at it might as well be the ocean.

For the beach look up Lake Erie state park https://parks.ny.gov/parks/129/details.aspx , evangola beach https://parks.ny.gov/parks/91/details.aspx , sunset bay http://www.sunsetbayusa.com/ . I really like Lake Erie Beach state park. The Dunkirk city pier isn't big but it's nice. has a few shops, an ice cream parlor etc... but it's on the water and something to do in summer

There are also TONS of wineries and vineyards in the area which is really visually appealing and relaxing. They are popular in the area because of the lake erie micro climate. being so close to the lake acts as a temperature stabilizer to protect the grapes. Spings may be a little cooler but summer and fall are better. speaking of the lake and weather... this is also smack dab into the "snow belt" area of traditional lake effect snow. Don't let it scare you. yes it snows, a lot. but its not a big deal. all the locals handle it just fine. the road crews and towns are very capable to clear the roads in a timely fashion. it's just a typical day in winter nothing to stress over. besides if your coming from somewhere else if you embrace the snow maybe you will find you enjoy it. (ski/snowboard/snowmobile/snow shoeing/go sledding/ice fish) etc... you can find things to look forward to. besides kids LOVE playing in the snow.

where are you moving from? what are your interests? what are your hobbies? etc... give us some more info and we would be glad to be more detailed

Old 02-15-2017, 03:28 PM

65,582 posts, read 91,393,248 times
Outside of the great info already given, Mayville(Chautauqua Lake Schools) may be another option and it is the county seat for Chautauqua County. Home

Chautauqua Lake Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Chautauqua Lake Central SD

Commute appears to be about 25-30 minutes though.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:08 PM

I don't know much about Westfield but it seems like a nice small town too. I'm sure others can chime in

Old 02-15-2017, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,576 times
Lived near there most of my life. Bitter cold in the winter, and grey,very depressing. Finally ended up in Fl and couldn't be happier. Cold,black ice,depression. No sun from Oct. to May good luck.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Augello View Post
Lived near there most of my life. Bitter cold in the winter, and grey,very depressing. Finally ended up in Fl and couldn't be happier. Cold,black ice,depression. No sun from Oct. to May good luck.

I don't think thats what she is looking for..... Just taking a guess

Old 02-15-2017, 07:08 PM

There's nothing wrong with Dunkirk itself per say, but IMO it's an older more industrial small rust belt city/town. People living in dunkirk are more likely to have public assisted housing and are probably a more transient population than all the neighboring towns. But again it's not a bad place either.

Like for example Fredonia borders up to Dunkirk and Fredonia is a great little town, so IMO for me if it was between Dunkirk or Fredonia, hands down I would live in Fredonia and work in Dunkirk no problem.

Again, there isn't anything wrong with Dunkirk at all but the other nearby towns are all really nice.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:08 PM

Thank you everyone for your great information!!

We are ok with 20-30 min out. But prob not much further than that for my Husbands sake.

We are well aware of the Winters and hope to make the best of them.

To answer some of your questions Drinkthekoolaid (excellent detailed information by the way...thanks!!!):

We are moving from West Virginia.
We love traveling, fishing, camping, geocaching, hiking as well as activities like sightseeing, visiting museums, etc. We could spend the day in the country or in the city and be happy either way.
We try to keep the kids active with different clubs and sports.
Our older Son (14) will definitely do 4-H and he competes with air riffle and soon will start archery. He loves to fish and explore and is interested in anything S.T.E.M.
Our younger son (4) is a bit of a wild man and very adventurous himself. So as much as I can get him into the better. Lol.

Once again thanks to everyone! It is very helpful! ��

Old 02-15-2017, 07:16 PM

Dunkirk sounds like a typical Steel Mill town. Which definitely has its mix of ups and downs. But as you said...not always bad. We will remained open minded and see what kind of "feel" we get from there.

We currently live in a small town and understand it's pretty much the circles you go in whether you experience more of the good or more of the bad.

I'm sure we will have a better idea of it all after our visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area