Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 08:07 PM

6 posts, read 6,232 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

We're considering relocation for the family, to escape the pit of Indiana allergies, and I'd be most grateful for your observations regarding how the environment in the Buffalo area treats allergy sufferers. And, I mean that broadly, since we're not firm on the specific area. (I'm going to post something similar for other cities.)

Particular allergies of concern are mold (including soil mold) and trees... so yes, wrong continent, but we do our best.

The thought is that the colder climate and lake-effect breeze could be a great help. Other data? Extended stays in Toronto across the way have been helpful.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 03:46 PM

821 posts, read 753,144 times
Buffalo is actually one of the worst cities in the US for allergies, along with most of upstate NY. Not really sure why, that's just always what I have heard.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:44 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,227,327 times
I have none been lucky

Old 03-13-2017, 06:02 PM

821 posts, read 753,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
I have none been lucky
Same

Old 03-14-2017, 09:25 AM

2,889 posts, read 1,817,302 times
I think allergy suffering/relief is very subjective and hard to quantify. There are many allergens that affect some people but not others and if they are specific natural allergens the person suffering may not even be aware of the direct cause.

With personal experience growing up as a young child I had to get allergy shots to try and condition my body to not react to allergens. Now as an adult (no longer need the shots) I have not experienced Buffalo to really be much different than anywhere else. I can say you are probably better off closer to the lake with a lake breeze than you might be per say in Cattaraugus county in the hills and forests with lots more and diverse natural allergens. I currently live in the suburb of Hamburg (it's directly on the lake) and personally my allergies are not bad at all where I live. but with anything your mileage may vary.

Best advice, is if the allergy fears are your biggest factor in determining where to live, visit a few of the areas you like and compare how your body reacts to it.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:05 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,799,885 times
I have pretty severe allergies and I can tell you, visiting different places doesn't really work. You'd have to stay there a while to allow your body to acclimate. For example, I am very allergic to ragweed, and I spent a week in Sacramento CA where there really is no ragweed, and I didn't acclimate quickly enough.

Yes, I take a once a day inhaler. But, the best thing you can do for yourself is to eliminate grains from your diet, particularly wheat. Regardless of if you have celiac, wheat seems to cause inflammation in your body and esp the lungs. You'd have to be off it strictly though, and for at least a year to see a difference.

I try to exercise 30 mins a day. Helps so much. Last thing I do is take organic ginger pills. Ginger is really good for you, and helps with lung inflammation. I take it 3x a day, no bad side effects. Doing these things has reduced my asthma by 75%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
View detailed profiles of: