U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 05:19 AM

5 posts, read 3,027 times

Advertisements

Most Buffalonians that I know have only been to other northeastern states, Canada, and Florida. More adventurous Buffalonians may have ventured into Ohio once or twice. But usually no further than Cleveland or Cedar Point.

What percentage of Buffalifers own a passport? And what percentage of those passport holders have ever used it beyond the Peace, Rainbow, and Queenston bridges?

What percentage of Buffalifers have ever visited a place where English is not the primary language? Including Montreal and Cancun.

What percentage of Buffalifers have ever left the Eastern time zone? Even to California or Vegas as a trip-of-a-lifetime?

Not many I suspect. Buffalo was named America's #1 staycation city for a reason. It's because the locals don't travel much. Many have never even been to NYC for Christ's sake!

Even bumpkins in flyover country are more cosmopolitan than your average Western New Yorker. So are hillbillies in Appalachia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 06:03 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,199,293 times
You need to expand your group of friends.

Americans in general do not travel very much. Mainly due to $ and limited time off work. Once there are kids, especially. Many WNYers do not have the means or especially the time to travel much.

I did not travel much until I got much older, but before I was 20 yes I did travel to most of the Northeast and Canada first - why not? It is the closest and within driving distance. I was familiar with NY State, DC, Boston, Virginia, Philadelphia, Toronto. (Not NYC, as you said, mainly cost as the family had no relatives living there at the time).

Parents regularly went to Vegas and Atlantic City back in the day. Sister to California and Florida (again, visiting relatives). Brother saw the world thanks to the USMC. He was happy to stay at home when he was done.

I have been lucky in that I get to travel occasionally in the US and overseas as part of my job, and I get to work with locals and participate outside of the tourist areas. My children have visited other states and countries, including semesters abroad (which was not available when I was in school).

Now I also know many people who travel "the world" mainly going to ski resorts, cruises, beach resorts, Vegas, Disney, etc. That doesn't make them really traveled or cosmopolitan, in my opinion, however, as their travel is mainly with people just like themselves.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:18 AM

1,560 posts, read 628,712 times
This can't be a genuine topic right?

I've been to asia, europe, oceania, canada, Mexico the Bahamas and probably 20 states here in the country.

I've probably travelled more than a lot of people but most people I know travel quite a bit.

North carolina, South Carolina, california, arizona, las vegas, texas, the Caribbean, all of those are very common for many WNYers.

As a matter of fact, in reference to your first post, I have never once been to NYC, and if I'm lucky I never will. No desire to ever go there.

An example I can think of that would support you claim is one of my wife's co-workers was trying to become a legal guardian for her 14 year old neice. She was 14 years old and never once left erie county and maybe only left the buffalo city limits a handful of times. Think of that. That's an extreme scenario.

I think you have some very sheltered and secluded friends and acquaintances.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:55 AM

712 posts, read 397,267 times
Yeah, not sure what you are referring to. I have been up and down the East Coast several times, and as a matter of fact I am going out to Chicago and Minneapolis next month. Maybe this refers to city of Buffalo residents who can't afford to travel as much as suburbanites?

Old 03-31-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Yeah, not sure what you are referring to. I have been up and down the East Coast several times, and as a matter of fact I am going out to Chicago and Minneapolis next month. Maybe this refers to city of Buffalo residents who can't afford to travel as much as suburbanites?

I get that florida seems like a super common vacation because, well it is. But people definitely go other places.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:43 AM

5 posts, read 3,027 times
Sadly I am not joking or exaggerating.

Lack of money and time isn't the issue. The people I know all earn $50k or more. That makes them solidly middle-class by WNY standards. They also have weeks of unused vacation time. Some have months of accrued vacation time because they are workaholics who would rather be at the office 50+ weeks out of the year.

One person goes to the same places every summer with his wife and kids: Lake Placid, Lake George, Old Forge, and Olcott Beach. Never anywhere else. Always the same damn places every single year. How unadventurous can you get? They aren't even avid hikers. They spend most of their vacation in the village and take the same damn photos every year. All of their Facebook friends must laugh at how lame and uncultured they are!

Old 03-31-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaycationCity View Post
Sadly I am not joking or exaggerating.

Lack of money and time isn't the issue. The people I know all earn $50k or more. That makes them solidly middle-class by WNY standards. They also have weeks of unused vacation time. Some have months of accrued vacation time because they are workaholics who would rather be at the office 50+ weeks out of the year.

One person goes to the same places every summer with his wife and kids: Lake Placid, Lake George, Old Forge, and Olcott Beach. Never anywhere else. Always the same damn places every single year. How unadventurous can you get? They aren't even avid hikers. They spend most of their vacation in the village and take the same damn photos every year. All of their Facebook friends must laugh at how lame and uncultured they are!
I'm calling troll on this one.

Your user name staycation, mocking people who take annual regional trips they enjoy?

If they have a place they like going who cares. Why does it bother you?

WHO CARES WHAT ANYONE ON FACEBOOK SAYS! I don't have Facebook because I hate the attention seeking attitudes people display (in addition to privacy concerns).

Seriously dude?

Old 03-31-2017, 10:13 AM

2,998 posts, read 4,699,156 times
Cause we're boring folks. Now go pound ......

Old 03-31-2017, 11:54 AM

132 posts, read 96,661 times
I've (20) been in many places in the north Western Hemisphere, i've been to Bermuda, up and down the east coast except places north of MA, CA for a week, Mexico, Haiti, Bahamas, Chicago you name it. Canada many times as well.

Going overseas costs too much to be considered and going out west does too.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:13 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,676,794 times
I once knew a woman that lived in Port Jefferson, NY, which is on Long Island and has a ferry to Bridgeport, CT. She lived in the same house for 50+ years, 1/4 mile from the ferry and never once took the ferry! I went to her house once and heard the foghorn for the ferry from her house. This was not a poor woman or disabled or anything like that. She never been to CT or literally anywhere before and there was a ferry to CT within walking distance of her house for 50 years. She worked like 3 miles from her house and never really left town.

To be honest, it actually pissed me off. This was a voter and vocally political person. How can you be political if you've never, ever seen how other people live firsthand?! When you have narrow-minded opinions and you've never been to or lived anywhere, it kinda chapped my azz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or