Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 06:27 AM

937 posts, read 699,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Training centers are all a waste. Why aren't these people actually working at a job, and getting real training, while earning a paycheck?
You got a lot to learn kid.
They aren't working because there aren't enough jobs, real or otherwise.
You can't get "training" if there isn't any easily available. Whatever is available is either part time, too far to get to (usually done purposely to 'filter' out applicants), or specialized to one degree or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I would think that they got their first step training in high school. Math, English, just showing up. After that jobs become more specialized and who better to train you than your employer. Plus you get paid. Even if it's just stocking shelves in a grocery store. You're on the first rung of the ladder, with nothing but potential. Save the $44 million and lower taxes.
Lets see, "training in high school, reading & math). Oh yea, that will do it, no problem getting any work with just that. And according to you all they have to do is "just show up".
I guess I went to the wrong school, I "showed up", but didn't 'just' get a job.
"Who better to train you than your employer" Keep on dreaming with that. For the most part (with very few exceptions) most employers want someone 'ready to work' as in already "trained". Not someone that THEY have to. After all, that would cost them $$ and we can't have then can we?

And lastly, one one hand you tell them to get trained, but you don't want anyone/anything to pay for it.
Both of those posts belong in the political forum as they make about as much sense as 90% of the posts there do, son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 07:03 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,095,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
You got a lot to learn kid.
They aren't working because there aren't enough jobs, real or otherwise.
You can't get "training" if there isn't any easily available. Whatever is available is either part time, too far to get to (usually done purposely to 'filter' out applicants), or specialized to one degree or another.

Lets see, "training in high school, reading & math). Oh yea, that will do it, no problem getting any work with just that. And according to you all they have to do is "just show up".
I guess I went to the wrong school, I "showed up", but didn't 'just' get a job.
"Who better to train you than your employer" Keep on dreaming with that. For the most part (with very few exceptions) most employers want someone 'ready to work' as in already "trained". Not someone that THEY have to. After all, that would cost them $$ and we can't have then can we?

And lastly, one one hand you tell them to get trained, but you don't want anyone/anything to pay for it.
Both of those posts belong in the political forum as they make about as much sense as 90% of the posts there do, son.

If there aren't any jobs, how will "training" help them get a job?

Maybe if you knew how the real world worked you would understand son. See what it's like owning a business and having employees.

These "feel good" training centers are just that. Loser politicians spending taxpayer money with the illusion that they will help. I guess you took the bait.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:40 AM

Judging by your handle & immature posts, you are living in some other post teenager world. But again if you "just show up" all is well.

Enjoy funding the less fortunately that wind up incarcerated at a cost or (what was it last) $40k/yr because that is being paid by your tax dollars that you didn't want to go to "feel good" training centers.

Oh, you were the one that made the statement to go out and get a job, now there aren't any? Make up your mind.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:58 AM

If you had ever owned and operated a business, you would understand the value of "just showing up", especially when you are dealing with people, 20% of which didn't show up for free high school education.

Jobs. They're everywhere. If you want a job, you'll find one or create one. The programs are designed for people who don't want a job. What these people really need is motivation. Without motivation, training won't work. WITH motivation, you don't need training as you, yourself will find a way though all issues

Old 07-21-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Jobs. They're everywhere.
Now that rich. Maybe highly specialized positions, but that isn't what is needed. Nor is it the "real world". You, like so many like you that keep using the term "handouts" like it is the plague have no idea what it is like to be poor, nor what it's like when one has to deal with County Social Service's.

I'll look forward to seeing your list of employers that only have a "just show up" requirement.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:51 PM

I was at Home Depot the other day and this employee was directing me towards the self check-out. I said that it's putting people out of work, so I prefer to use a real person. He responded that they can't get enough people to work there and that the self checks weren't putting people out of work because they can't find enough employees. He went on to say that recently they had 70 people lined up for job interviews. About 20 DIDN'T SHOW UP, 25 failed the drug test, 10 were offered a job, but only 6 of these SHOWED UP. 15 others were offered jobs and declined because they made more money NOT working.

As you can see, no amount of "training" would have produced more employees. And this is for a basic low skill job that anyone, man, woman, black, white, all age groups. We all know, except VB, that McDonalds has the greatest potential to move up the ladder. Just remember, it's up to YOU

Old 07-21-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
15 others were offered jobs and declined because they made more money NOT working.
You left that last which IS the root of the problem thou, unless that is part time work that they were offered which I bet it is, and they came from a 'trades' position, they aren't going to make more money at staying home.

BTW, Home Depot is not a friendly place to work, especially if you want to "move up the ladder". They treat their department managers like crap (putting it mildly). I know that 1st hand from someone that went elsewhere. Retail has always had a high turnover.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:16 PM

Why do I get the feeling that no mater what business I discussed, you would have a negative spin."First hand" nun the less--uh, no. First hand is when you experience something yourself. After that, as "someone who went elsewhere" it is all hearsay.

I don't know about you, but I would leave a job where I was treated that way.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:02 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Home Depot is not the bane of employment as some portray and I know people who maintain successful careers with them including management. Yes all kinds of retail can be challenging but its a job until you find something you want to do better. Maybe those who fail the urinalysis should be ineligible for social assistance unless they go through treatment and strive to get off the stuff.... Of course if I popped positive I would be unemployed.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:23 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Home Depot is not the bane of employment as some portray and I know people who maintain successful careers with them including management. Yes all kinds of retail can be challenging but its a job until you find something you want to do better. Maybe those who fail the urinalysis should be ineligible for social assistance unless they go through treatment and strive to get off the stuff.... Of course if I popped positive I would be unemployed.
Maybe they lost a full-time job and are on unemployment, and are only offered a part-time job with no benefits. Maybe they are unable to perform the physical demands of the job due to injury or age. Maybe they are unable to work certain days because of transportation issues. Maybe the job is a temp job and they need to be able to seek full-time permanent employment, and cannot do that working at Home Depot.

Job Title The Home Depot Salary
Home Depot Cashier - Hourly $9.80/hr
Merchandising Execution Associate - Hourly $10.96/hr
Part Time Cashier - Hourly $9.53/hr
Department Manager Supervisor $41,289 (equivalent to $19/hr)

Maximum unemployment in NY is $420/week (for someone working full-time at more than $21/hour when laid off).

Last edited by RocketSci; 07-21-2017 at 05:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area