Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:19 AM

373 posts, read 348,631 times

Advertisements

Currently reside in Albany , I have my whole life I was looking into loving west in the state to buffalo

Is buffalo an expensive place to live ? Is rent expensive ?
I see that they are growing and expanding and tons of new buildings , restaurants and apartments does that mean it's growing and becoming expensive ?

I'm not worried about winter I enjoy cold and snow , but what's the deal with the lake affect ? Do certain parts of the city get nothing ?

How do the summers compare to Albany/upstate ny. I don't like humidity does the lake help or worsen the humidity ?

How's public transit and traffic ?

Safe areas to rent a nice/ not run down 1 bedroom for 1,000?

Can you enjoy the lake in the summer or are all the beaches and good spots mobbed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 03:23 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,867,350 times
The best beaches are about 30-45 minutes South of the city.

Yes snowfall is heavily dependent upon which way the steering winds come across the lake. Typically downtown buffalo and northward get significantly less snow than South of the city. There is also ski resorts and extensive snowmobiling South of the city of your into that.

The area is more expensive than some other parts of the country but probably comparable to Albany. I don't you will notice a significant difference one way or the other.

There definitely is a "sellers market" for real estate right now and rents and home values and sale prices have been steadily rising.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:35 AM

Hey thanks for all the input Everyone so #buffalonice

Old 07-22-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
Hey thanks for all the input Everyone so #buffalonice
Are you being serious or sarcastic? My sarcasm detector doesn't always work too well in the internet

It was 85 and sunny yesterday most people were busy outside enjoying themselves on a glorious buffalo July day not on the internet.

If you were be snarky stay in Albany we don't need you here.

If not, be patient I'm sure people will reply

Old 07-22-2017, 06:59 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,263,377 times
Winters are unpredictable

Old 07-22-2017, 08:44 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,077,378 times
Quote:
Currently reside in Albany , I have my whole life I was looking into loving west in the state to buffalo

Is buffalo an expensive place to live ? Is rent expensive ?
I see that they are growing and expanding and tons of new buildings , restaurants and apartments does that mean it's growing and becoming expensive ?

I'm not worried about winter I enjoy cold and snow , but what's the deal with the lake affect ? Do certain parts of the city get nothing ?

How do the summers compare to Albany/upstate ny. I don't like humidity does the lake help or worsen the humidity ?

How's public transit and traffic ?

Safe areas to rent a nice/ not run down 1 bedroom for 1,000?

Can you enjoy the lake in the summer or are all the beaches and good spots mobbed
Unless you are going to school, self-employed, or can work remotely, it is recommended that you find employment first before making a big move. Where you work may also determine where you choose to live.

While that is happening, visit the city. Read Craigslist listings of rental properties and visit the areas where you choose to live or avoid.

Take a look at the WikiVoyage page for details on areas of the city itself, and things to visit while here.
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Buffalo

Weather wise, summers are cooler due to cooling effect of the lakes (rarely ever reaches 90), winters are slightly warmer (infrequently below zero) and snowier, particularly south of the city which can get 2 to 3 times what the northern areas get. Not a beach culture, but plenty of beaches on the Niagara, Erie, and Ontario, including several nice areas on the Canadian side. Toronto is to Buffalo as NYC is to Albany as far as "big city" travel and activities go. Public transit decent in the city limits, not as well outside. No problem decent 1 bedrooms under $1000.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:05 AM

937 posts, read 699,632 times
Are you talking about the "city" or the suburbs?

Have you read through the 1st few pages of threads?

Old 07-22-2017, 12:45 PM

I will have a job waiting me as a lateral transfer if I choose to accept it . I'm not looking at it until spring 2018 so getting a head start on research .

I find the lake front living and having multiple lakes to choose from and not being far from hiking and snowboarding and also Toronto a huge draw

Where would one look to live/rent if the employment was the airport ?

Old 07-22-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I will have a job waiting me as a lateral transfer if I choose to accept it . I'm not looking at it until spring 2018 so getting a head start on research .

I find the lake front living and having multiple lakes to choose from and not being far from hiking and snowboarding and also Toronto a huge draw

Where would one look to live/rent if the employment was the airport ?

I guess it depends how far/ long you are willing to commute. Good news for you is that the airport is pretty. much 20mins from anywhere in Erie county. So that leaves open the northtowns, southtowns, city itself if eastern suburbs.

What else are you into? What type of neighborhood or area are you comfortable in?

Old 07-24-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I guess it depends how far/ long you are willing to commute. Good news for you is that the airport is pretty. much 20mins from anywhere in Erie county. So that leaves open the northtowns, southtowns, city itself if eastern suburbs.

What else are you into? What type of neighborhood or area are you comfortable in?

I would prefer a younger hip crowd , in young myself I don't want to live amongst families with small children
Would prefer to be near bars and nightlife but I understand any cities downtown is expensive to rent And more times than not; not safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area