Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,749 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relocate to the Buffalo area. We have 2 boys 11 and 9. Our 9 year old has autism, so we are very concerned about the school systems and services in the area. Anyone have any good info for me? I am looking into Amherst, Williamsville, Clarence and Orchard Park.
Parent feed back is always the best resource when it comes to services for children with disabilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 02:33 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,222,472 times
All good schools there. NYS Education is real solid there.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:49 PM

13 posts, read 38,130 times
I am also moving there and I have been doing research on the area for months now. You are looking in the right area. Everyone says they have the best school and all there. I really wouldnt look anywhere else, expecially since you have a handicap son. That is all just my opinion from the months of research I have done.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:15 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,844,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Meter View Post
We are planning to relocate to the Buffalo area. We have 2 boys 11 and 9. Our 9 year old has autism, so we are very concerned about the school systems and services in the area. Anyone have any good info for me? I am looking into Amherst, Williamsville, Clarence and Orchard Park.
Parent feed back is always the best resource when it comes to services for children with disabilities.
Williamsville or Clarence, also Summit? (dont know if that is the correct spelling) is wonderful for children with disabilities such as your son. I have children with iep's and use Williamsville....send me a dm if you want any specifics

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 03:35 PM

161 posts, read 700,718 times
Quote:
Hey Donna,

My kids don't have disabilities, so I can't be that specific, but as a parent in the Williamsville school system, I've been really impressed with the professionalism and level of involvement I've seen from the educators here.

Orchard Park has been in disarray for a number of years -- they used to be good, but there have been problems and wackiness. I have a friend who moved out there for the schools a few years ago, and she has been totally dismayed by what has gone on. I wish I could be more specific but I can't remember details -- except that the principal of her kids' school, who everybody loved, came into Williamsville and is now the principal at my kids' school. :-)

I have little respect for the Clarence school district. They score high in the regional 'ratings,' but I know people who teach there who are, IMO, pretty unqualified but got hired because of who they knew -- it's a snobby area. I know others who are very unhappy working there because they are under pressure to keep up that "perfect" image. They have to "teach to the test" and are encouraged to sweep problems under the rug. The administrators kowtow to parents with money. We purposely avoided Clarence when we bought a house.

HTH!

Old 03-15-2008, 08:32 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,771,528 times
[Not a parent, but I am a retired teacher.] Cantalician on Main in Amherst might still be of the age for your 9 year old; if not, they can certainly they can tell you where to look. Kids who "age out" are put into appropriate schools, like Summit or in their district. The private locations are for severe autistic. School districts will place kids if they cannot handle them. I don't know if BOCES (Board of Cooperative Educational Services) still takes Special Ed. children at young ages; a district used to send kids they could not handle there. As to a kid who can be mainstreamed, a friend loves KenmoreTonawanda for her daughter ( now HS); I don't know the program.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 10,749 times
Thanks for the info. I like some o fthe homes I have seen on line in Clarence...is any part of Clarence in the Williamville district? PArts of Amherst are, right?

Love to hear the real truth...lots get swept under the rug especially when it comes to children who can't speak for themselves.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:51 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,844,179 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I like some o fthe homes I have seen on line in Clarence...is any part of Clarence in the Williamville district? PArts of Amherst are, right?

Love to hear the real truth...lots get swept under the rug especially when it comes to children who can't speak for themselves.
Yes, there are parts of Clarence that are in Williamsville, make sure your agent does a good check prior to buying!!!!!!!!! ALL of williamsville is considered Amherst, but not all of Amherst is part of the Williamsville school district - I know it sounds confusing, to me it isnt, because I do this day in and day out and also live in the area, so I know what you are talking about!!

Good Luck!!!!!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:34 PM

28 posts, read 115,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
[Not a parent, but I am a retired teacher.] Cantalician on Main in Amherst might still be of the age for your 9 year old; if not, they can certainly they can tell you where to look. Kids who "age out" are put into appropriate schools, like Summit or in their district. The private locations are for severe autistic. School districts will place kids if they cannot handle them. I don't know if BOCES (Board of Cooperative Educational Services) still takes Special Ed. children at young ages; a district used to send kids they could not handle there. As to a kid who can be mainstreamed, a friend loves KenmoreTonawanda for her daughter ( now HS); I don't know the program.

Erie 1 Boces still take Special Ed students from suburban districts. They try to keep the children in their individual school systems if possible, in Boces classes and with Boces teachers of course. If not they'll bus them to another nearby district, still with Boces teachers in Boces classes. They have excellent programs, and also They also provide services, e.g. Physical and Occupational therapies; Mental Health counseling; speech therapy, etc.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:49 PM

995 posts, read 3,920,757 times
Quote:
I live in Loch Lea Estates subdivision, which is in Clarence but within Williamsville school district. As far as I know there are 3 subdivisions falling in this category: Loch Lea, Highland Farms, Manchester Park. All 3 are close to the Transit road (border between Amherst and Clarence).

Loch Lea is very desirable neighborhood to live but it's a little pricey. The lowest listing on the market now is $385k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area