Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 12:06 PM

6 posts, read 4,372 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am in NJ and got a small project in Buffalo downtown Main St for 3 months.
So since its only 3 months, would be flying there and won't be having car with me.

All I heard about Buffalo is, its a small town, low cost of living. So I thought My entire stay I could live in a nearby hotel like, Best Western or Comfort Inn and take the bus to work, which is in downtown.

But its far from what I thought. Hotels are expensive over $100 dollars when I thought I could get a decent one half the price.
2nd thing, they say everything close to downtown is not safe and I have to stay in the suburbs which would be 10 miles away (williamsville, cheektowaga)

I discovered taking the bus in winter, would be really difficult since the weather is cold and winter approaching etc. I checked rental car which was like $38 including insurance daily, and Uber would cost same amount round trip if i lived in Williamsville or Cheektowaga.

Can anyone suggest something which is closer to Main Street downtown Buffalo and decent hotel within 5 miles or so. So that my cab fare would be slashed into half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 01:01 PM

93,154 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Hopefully someone else will chime in, but Buffalo is essentially a little less dense Newark. They have a similar population(Newark has about 20,000 more people), but Buffalo is just bigger in terms of land area.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:48 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,347 times
Downtown Buffalo is safe maybe the east side near Goodyear and Moselle isn’t

Old 10-02-2017, 06:48 PM

3,572 posts, read 3,069,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jey9 View Post
Hi,

I am in NJ and got a small project in Buffalo downtown Main St for 3 months.
So since its only 3 months, would be flying there and won't be having car with me.

All I heard about Buffalo is, its a small town, low cost of living. So I thought My entire stay I could live in a nearby hotel like, Best Western or Comfort Inn and take the bus to work, which is in downtown.

But its far from what I thought. Hotels are expensive over $100 dollars when I thought I could get a decent one half the price.
2nd thing, they say everything close to downtown is not safe and I have to stay in the suburbs which would be 10 miles away (williamsville, cheektowaga)

I discovered taking the bus in winter, would be really difficult since the weather is cold and winter approaching etc. I checked rental car which was like $38 including insurance daily, and Uber would cost same amount round trip if i lived in Williamsville or Cheektowaga.

Can anyone suggest something which is closer to Main Street downtown Buffalo and decent hotel within 5 miles or so. So that my cab fare would be slashed into half.
University Manor Motel is at the Buffalo/Amherst line, on Main Street across from the University, and it is within reasonable walking distance to the Main Street Metro Rail University Station. The Metro runs straight under Main into downtown. It looks like you can get a room for as low as $73/night.

Also look at VRBO (vacation rental by owner) where you may find some lower cost 1 br furnished apartments at a monthly rate. There was 1 apartment in Allentown (near downtown) that is available for $41/night if you rent by the month (regular 75/night for min 5 days). Another option is Air BnB. There is also Hostel Buffalo on Main, if you want to stay in a dorm-style place.

Uber and Lyft are also available if you don't want public transportation or taxis.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:24 PM

Thanks ckhthankgod, bmd69 and Rocketsci.

I will check out the Air Bnb option.
University Manor Hotel is great for now, but during winter I need to take the Uber/ Lyft because the train station is 0.5 miles walk away. ��

Thanks a lot for the great tips. Appreciate it. Do you remember which apt in Allentown ��.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:33 PM

https://www.vrbo.com/965473

Old 10-03-2017, 10:13 AM

5,453 posts, read 3,906,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jey9 View Post
Thanks ckhthankgod, bmd69 and Rocketsci.

I will check out the Air Bnb option.
University Manor Hotel is great for now, but during winter I need to take the Uber/ Lyft because the train station is 0.5 miles walk away. ��

Thanks a lot for the great tips. Appreciate it. Do you remember which apt in Allentown ��.
Is it half a mile away? Wouldn't have guessed it was even that far

Old 10-03-2017, 10:15 AM

Thank you RocketSci ������

Old 10-03-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Is it half a mile away? Wouldn't have guessed it was even that far
Yes.

I just saw in this Air B&B website that there is no UBER service is Buffalo. Is it true?

Old 10-03-2017, 11:14 AM

Uber and Lyft started service in July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area