U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2018, 03:20 PM
 
3,170 posts, read 5,025,018 times
Reputation: 2310

Advertisements

After this crappy spring folks will be moving to Florida or Arizona.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2018, 04:34 PM
 
Location: PVB
4,218 posts, read 2,239,378 times
Reputation: 4798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
NY State isn’t losing in terms of population though: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/NY


My point for showing that site was to address the statement about property tax rates in comparison to the national average.

That sales tax and fuel tax statement was to Pettie in regards to NV.
ckhthankgod do you live in the Buffalo area? If not why did you move? Where do you live now?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 06:52 PM
 
790 posts, read 495,013 times
Reputation: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
After this crappy spring folks will be moving to Florida or Arizona.
Would not be surprised at all. It has snowed something like 10 of the last 16 days. Brutal
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 07:04 PM
 
877 posts, read 1,390,177 times
Reputation: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
NYS has always taken in a lot of immigrants but it wasn't losing population like it is now.

"The median U.S. property tax paid is $1,917 and in New York it is $3,755—96 percent higher than the national median. Moreover, New York has the highest local taxes in America as a percentage of personal income—79 percent above the national average."

There has been no sales tax increase here as far as I know. Please post a link to where you got your info.
So we're talking a difference of about $1800. Add to that a difference in state tax of roughly $1500 compared to other states (once you take into account fees, tolls, driving distances / time, and a whole host of other factors the differences become quite small. My brother pays a ton of money in TX for flood insurance). So maybe the next tax is $4K higher / year in NY for middle class families. Do NYers make more money than people in other states? https://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/new-york/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 07:23 PM
 
3,170 posts, read 5,025,018 times
Reputation: 2310
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Would not be surprised at all. It has snowed something like 10 of the last 16 days. Brutal
Makes me wonder why I am back here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 05:21 AM
 
790 posts, read 495,013 times
Reputation: 1366
Here are the following incorporated areas population change from both 2016 to 2017 and 2010 to 2017. Buffalo finally ended the decline!!
Akron: -1, 6
Alden: 1, -23
Angola: -2, -8
Blasdell: 21, 104
Buffalo: 149 ,-2,698
Depew: -22, -110
East Aurora: 14, 14
Gowanda: -13, -87
Hamburg: 82, 287
Lackawanna: -16, -207
Lancaster: -16, -163
Lewiston: -9, -122
Lockport: 24, -596
Niagara Falls: -227, -1,733
North Collins: -2, -21
North Tonawanda: -135, -1,093
Orchard Park: -1, -78
Sloan: -7, -76
Springville: 0, 5
Tonawanda: -19, -226
Williamsville: 28, -8
Youngstown: -8, -34
Total: -159, -6,864

So, the growth of the metro area is certainly still in unincorporated towns.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 07:31 AM
 
2,348 posts, read 1,675,870 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Here are the following incorporated areas population change from both 2016 to 2017 and 2010 to 2017. Buffalo finally ended the decline!!
Akron: -1, 6
Alden: 1, -23
Angola: -2, -8
Blasdell: 21, 104
Buffalo: 149 ,-2,698
Depew: -22, -110
East Aurora: 14, 14
Gowanda: -13, -87
Hamburg: 82, 287
Lackawanna: -16, -207
Lancaster: -16, -163
Lewiston: -9, -122
Lockport: 24, -596
Niagara Falls: -227, -1,733
North Collins: -2, -21
North Tonawanda: -135, -1,093
Orchard Park: -1, -78
Sloan: -7, -76
Springville: 0, 5
Tonawanda: -19, -226
Williamsville: 28, -8
Youngstown: -8, -34
Total: -159, -6,864

So, the growth of the metro area is certainly still in unincorporated towns.

What am I missing? I still see losses mostly
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 07:40 AM
 
790 posts, read 495,013 times
Reputation: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
What am I missing? I still see losses mostly
The city of Buffalo itself grew by a tiny amount, as indicated by the first number next to Buffalo. As I said, most of these incorporated villages and cities are shrinking, and since the metro has grown slightly, the growth is concentrated in unincorporated suburbs (Amherst, Clarence, Lancaster, OP etc)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 08:10 AM
 
2,348 posts, read 1,675,870 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
The city of Buffalo itself grew by a tiny amount, as indicated by the first number next to Buffalo. As I said, most of these incorporated villages and cities are shrinking, and since the metro has grown slightly, the growth is concentrated in unincorporated suburbs (Amherst, Clarence, Lancaster, OP etc)
Well, it gives you hope, but the longer the range, the more accurate it seems. This 1 year data seems to be all over the place. Let's see come 2020.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top