Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 12:40 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

OP, there is also the Rainbow or Whirlpool Bridge(NEXUS) in Niagara Falls that can be used to cross and the school district information was posted for its maps, which give you an idea of location, as well as other relatively recent demographic information.

This will help in terms of crossing times: Niagara Falls Bridge Commission

and bridge options: Niagara Falls Bridge Commission
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 04:14 PM

6,406 posts, read 4,901,771 times
Crossing times vary from day to day, hour to hour. Not like some posters on here, who have most likely never even crossed the border, I did it 3x/week for 8 years so I consider myself an expert on the subject.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:46 PM

OP, focus on getting a job and place to stay first. Then, worry about crossing a bridge later.

Another thought OP to possibly consider is to actually look at Eastern/SE Michigan given that parts are still within your distance range in terms of time. When I was going to school in MI, you go either via the Blue Water Bridge at Sarnia ON/Port Huron MI or cross at the Ambassador Bridge or tunnel between Detroit and Windsor ON. Would go that way to visit family in Detroit in the past. You may also have more of a chance for employment given the bigger population. Even if it is a little over your distance, you likely have a better chance in terms of employment, which is a bigger key than the bridge crossing. Same in regards to housing.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-11-2018 at 05:03 PM..

Old 08-11-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
OP, focus on getting a job and place to stay first. Then, worry about crossing a bridge later.

Another thought OP to possibly consider is to actually look at Eastern/SE Michigan given that parts are still within your distance range in terms of time. When I was going to school in MI, you go either via the Blue Water Bridge at Sarnia ON/Port Huron MI or cross at the Ambassador Bridge between Detroit and Windsor ON. Would go that way to visit family in Detroit in the past. You may also have more of a chance for employment given the bigger population. Even if it is a little over your distance, you likely have a better chance in terms of employment, which is a bigger key than the bridge crossing. Same in regards to housing.
Great idea CK. Drive 144 miles from Michigan instead of 73 from Buffalo. Spend 2+ hours in your car instead of 1+. Keep em coming CK. How about a houseboat anchored in the lake.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
OP, are you looking for a smaller community or are you open to other types of neighborhoods?

I will also say that if you do move to those communities, if you don't have a passport, I would get the enhanced driver's license: https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/ge...er-license-edl

Here is some Lewiston info: Welcome to Historic Lewiston, New York
https://www.niagarariverregion.com/n...ings-to-do-see (includes nearby locations)

As for Wheatfield, it mainly touches the city of Niagara Falls(LaSalle neighborhood), the city of North Tonawanda, the town of Lewiston, the town of Niagara and the town of Cambria. So, it is basically a suburban Niagara Falls town.

Also, here are a couple of medical facilities in that immediate area: https://www.chsbuffalo.org/mount-st-marys-hospital

Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center | Healthcare Clinic
Another health care facility to consider for employment: Eastern Niagara Health Systems
Job Postings For Eastern Niagara Hospital Careers in Health Care - Eastern Niagara Health Systems

and another one: http://www.kaleidahealth.org/degraff/
https://www.kaleidahealth.org/career...categories.asp

Also, besides the county sites, you could look at local municipal civil service positions: Exams & Job Openings – Niagara Falls

https://www.lockportny.gov/departments/civil-service/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-11-2018 at 05:26 PM..

Old 08-13-2018, 05:56 PM

339 posts, read 933,299 times
Hi guys, I'm sorry I didn't know this thread was still going. We are having dinner in Amherst tonight. We drove through Niagra Falls but I'm not sure there was anything there that interested me. Lewiston was nice to drive through too but not sure it's for me.

Tomorrow we plan to go through Snyder and Williamsville.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf2737 View Post
Hi guys, I'm sorry I didn't know this thread was still going. We are having dinner in Amherst tonight. We drove through Niagra Falls but I'm not sure there was anything there that interested me. Lewiston was nice to drive through too but not sure it's for me.

Tomorrow we plan to go through Snyder and Williamsville.
I think that's your best option. I lived there and its an easy trip to Canada. Its safe and close to everything.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:30 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times
The Falls is rundown. Too much mob influence there. Lol

Old 08-14-2018, 05:49 AM

Did you get to check out Wheatfield or the town of Niagara?

Old 08-14-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Did you get to check out Wheatfield or the town of Niagara?
You can be out in the middle of nowhere and have to take the dreadful Lewiston Queenston Bridge. Great choice if you enjoy sitting in traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area