U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 03-28-2008, 08:20 PM
 
7 posts, read 15,759 times
Reputation: 10
Default Need downtown housing suggestions

My husband and I will be relocating to Buffalo the end of June. He'll be working at Buffalo General and we would love to live close by, as in walking distance or an extremely short drive. I've located some apartments, Granite Works, off of Main St. Is this a good area/apartments? We were up that way last June and I just can't recall. The kicker is we have a 6 month old son and I know downtown living isn't the best for a baby. However, we'll be there for only a year and since I'll be a stay at home mom, I would love to see my husband for the occasional lunch and to be able to walk along Elmwood for something to do when the weather cooperates.

Any suggestions? Or know of any other apartments or better areas? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 03-29-2008, 07:10 PM
 
3,592 posts, read 4,777,049 times
Reputation: 1881
FWIW, this city has eveything as a "short drive". Lofts in the downtown area are very yuppie w/young professsionals. Personally, I never would live in the area with a child. This is a rough neighborhood by the General. If you want to live in the city, look north of Bryant and between Delaware and Elmwood. Or live in the Waterfront area (very expensive - like Waterfront Blvd) You will be a lot safer; both areas would let you get to the General just as quick but the first is toward Elmwood. I have one child who, in her job, does parttime work at the General and I worry about her every day she goes.


Close but safer areas:
This first is for the Fairfax; can't swear to what it is like now -- used to be wonderful years ago.
Buffalo Apartments .com(SM) - Find Buffalo Apartments, NY Apartments, Niagara Falls Apartments, Erie Apartments, WNY Apartments, Lockport Apartments, Amherst Apartments, Lancaster Apartments, Orchard Park Apartments, Hamburg Apartments

Westbrook is oldfashioned;
The Westbrook - Buffalo Apartments for rent in WNY

Delaware Park is nice and Kendev has others; this is closest to downtown and locked buildings. 2 BRs are huge.
Buffalo Apartments - Apartments For Rent In Buffalo NY

Ellicott Dev. has both city lofts and older buildings. Look at 857 Delaware and Lafayette
Apartment rentals, residential & commercial real estate: Buffalo New York, Western New York, WNY: Ellicott Development Company (broken link)

Try thinkgs around the 1200 block of Delaware ( by Millard Fillmore Hospital -- it is going to close sometime). Pricey condos around it now.

Otherwise, look in realty.usa or apartments.com

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 03-29-2008 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-29-2008, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Buffalo :-)
2,992 posts, read 5,150,540 times
Reputation: 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
If you want to live in the city, look north of Bryant and between Delaware and Elmwood.
My thoughts exactly. And a second on the notion of easy travel, even if living in South Buffalo, the communte is well under an hour drive ... and that's during rush-hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-29-2008, 08:44 PM
 
7 posts, read 15,759 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you so much for all your help! I will definitely take your advice and now I know where to search. I assume the roads are well salted and cleared during the winter. Having lived in Houston, Ft. Lauderdale, and now Durham, NC, I'm rather scared of driving in snow/ice. Thanks again and any other advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-29-2008, 09:14 PM
 
161 posts, read 422,986 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloforayear View Post
My husband and I will be relocating to Buffalo the end of June. He'll be working at Buffalo General and we would love to live close by, as in walking distance or an extremely short drive. I've located some apartments, Granite Works, off of Main St. Is this a good area/apartments? We were up that way last June and I just can't recall. The kicker is we have a 6 month old son and I know downtown living isn't the best for a baby. However, we'll be there for only a year and since I'll be a stay at home mom, I would love to see my husband for the occasional lunch and to be able to walk along Elmwood for something to do when the weather cooperates.

Any suggestions? Or know of any other apartments or better areas? Thanks for your help!
Those apartments do seem nice, but I think you'd probably be pretty isolated there. It's not a neighborhood where you're going to find a bunch of other young moms, and there's not going to be much for you to do around there during the day. Also, downtown Buffalo pretty much empties out after all of the 9-to-5-ers go home. I've been a stay-at-home mom for years now, and I know it gets lonely during the day, especially when your kids are little, and it's hard when you don't have amenities within easy walking/driving distance. That area of downtown, you're not going to have much in the way of stores or restaurants, either.

I see that someone else was able to recommend some specific apartment buildings, which I cannot do. I would recommend looking at the Elmwood Avenue area, say between W. Ferry St and Bidwell Parkway, or maybe on Bidwell itself. Hubby would be close to work, and there are tons of shops and restaurants and wide city sidewalks, so you and the baby can have lots of adventures and urban exploring during the day. :-) The Lexington Co-Op would be walkable for groceries, and the nearest Wegman's (the main supermarket around here) is not that far. You wouldn't be far from Delaware Park or the Art Gallery. Every time I go to the Spot Coffee on Elmwood and Cleveland, I see tons of strollers and baby backpacks in the area. Oh, and with Buffalo State College nearby, with its Education program, you could probably find good babysitters. :-)

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-29-2008, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Buffalo :-)
2,992 posts, read 5,150,540 times
Reputation: 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloforayear View Post
Thank you so much for all your help! I will definitely take your advice and now I know where to search. I assume the roads are well salted and cleared during the winter. Having lived in Houston, Ft. Lauderdale, and now Durham, NC, I'm rather scared of driving in snow/ice. Thanks again and any other advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
You're very welcome. I hope that your stay in Buffalo, albeit short, is a rewarding one and that you may consider staying longer. As for our winters here, (being a life-longer) main roads and those leading to hospitals/schools are generally first to be plowed after a slow fall. One thing about this area up here, we have the best of all 4 seasons, so before we start thinking about winter again, I really think you'll enjoy our summer-time weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-30-2008, 08:42 PM
 
3,592 posts, read 4,777,049 times
Reputation: 1881
The main streets in the city are listed as "snow evacuation routes" ( Delaware is one and so is Elmwood) and, as such, they do get plowed, as do those to hospitals.... Personally, after living her 40 years, I have only been "snowed in" at work once ( storm started at noon and every employer in downtown let out prople by 1 and school buses were out at 2:30; we also had a huge snowfall until midnight) After that, they put up "evacuation route" signs. Rather silly. Snow and plows and salt (from the same plow trucks) are something you live with. Another thing normal here is when winter comes is to stock up on food; in your case, with a baby, I would stock up for a week's baby food. Adults can do fine; babies can't. Same with the car: extra gloves, clothes, scarf, hat, blanket ( we use space blankets - the silver things) and -- for you -- diapers and wipes and a few plastic bags. Motto of this city is to be prepared for winter.

Seriously, I moved here from near NYC and saw it shut down for a few inches of snow. Here, we look out and say "ooohhhh... pretty". Spring is delightful ( late this year) summer is warm and a bit humid, fall is glorious... You will like the place. Winter came in Dec. and is just melting away now ( very late)... 3 months of the year. The other 9 are no problem (I like all 12 mos!)

With a stroller, you might have problems walking in snow on a sidewalk ( the city is strict - owners can be fined if they are not clear). If you rent in a building, you won't need to shovel unless the car is outside ( snow brush and scraper and shovel in the car in winter).

An alternative, if you want a flat ( a floor of a house) -- look in the Hertel area, between Colvin and Starin. Hertel has stores and there are more kids there. Just look for one with heat & water included and with hookups for a W&D. Generally, you pay electric and gas for the stove ( if the stove is gas) and for cable, internet, etc. If it is going to be a one-car family, yo would be near a bus on Hertel, on Delaware, on Colvin, on Elmwood.... and others. Look up NFTA website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-31-2008, 06:57 AM
 
7 posts, read 15,759 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coraggio View Post
Those apartments do seem nice, but I think you'd probably be pretty isolated there. It's not a neighborhood where you're going to find a bunch of other young moms, and there's not going to be much for you to do around there during the day. Also, downtown Buffalo pretty much empties out after all of the 9-to-5-ers go home. I've been a stay-at-home mom for years now, and I know it gets lonely during the day, especially when your kids are little, and it's hard when you don't have amenities within easy walking/driving distance. That area of downtown, you're not going to have much in the way of stores or restaurants, either.

I see that someone else was able to recommend some specific apartment buildings, which I cannot do. I would recommend looking at the Elmwood Avenue area, say between W. Ferry St and Bidwell Parkway, or maybe on Bidwell itself. Hubby would be close to work, and there are tons of shops and restaurants and wide city sidewalks, so you and the baby can have lots of adventures and urban exploring during the day. :-) The Lexington Co-Op would be walkable for groceries, and the nearest Wegman's (the main supermarket around here) is not that far. You wouldn't be far from Delaware Park or the Art Gallery. Every time I go to the Spot Coffee on Elmwood and Cleveland, I see tons of strollers and baby backpacks in the area. Oh, and with Buffalo State College nearby, with its Education program, you could probably find good babysitters. :-)

Hope this helps!
This definitely helps! I apologize for the delay of writing, my husband has been on at the hospital for the past 2 nights. I'm sure as you know a 6 month old requires a great deal of time and energy. Yes, that's the last thing I wanted...to be isolated. I've been looking into apartments that 'BuffaloTransplant' recommended and I'll be making some phone calls today. Thanks again Hopefully they have some kind of 'Moms club' up there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-31-2008, 07:24 AM
 
7 posts, read 15,759 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
The main streets in the city are listed as "snow evacuation routes" ( Delaware is one and so is Elmwood) and, as such, they do get plowed, as do those to hospitals.... Personally, after living her 40 years, I have only been "snowed in" at work once ( storm started at noon and every employer in downtown let out prople by 1 and school buses were out at 2:30; we also had a huge snowfall until midnight) After that, they put up "evacuation route" signs. Rather silly. Snow and plows and salt (from the same plow trucks) are something you live with. Another thing normal here is when winter comes is to stock up on food; in your case, with a baby, I would stock up for a week's baby food. Adults can do fine; babies can't. Same with the car: extra gloves, clothes, scarf, hat, blanket ( we use space blankets - the silver things) and -- for you -- diapers and wipes and a few plastic bags. Motto of this city is to be prepared for winter.

Seriously, I moved here from near NYC and saw it shut down for a few inches of snow. Here, we look out and say "ooohhhh... pretty". Spring is delightful ( late this year) summer is warm and a bit humid, fall is glorious... You will like the place. Winter came in Dec. and is just melting away now ( very late)... 3 months of the year. The other 9 are no problem (I like all 12 mos!)

With a stroller, you might have problems walking in snow on a sidewalk ( the city is strict - owners can be fined if they are not clear). If you rent in a building, you won't need to shovel unless the car is outside ( snow brush and scraper and shovel in the car in winter).

An alternative, if you want a flat ( a floor of a house) -- look in the Hertel area, between Colvin and Starin. Hertel has stores and there are more kids there. Just look for one with heat & water included and with hookups for a W&D. Generally, you pay electric and gas for the stove ( if the stove is gas) and for cable, internet, etc. If it is going to be a one-car family, yo would be near a bus on Hertel, on Delaware, on Colvin, on Elmwood.... and others. Look up NFTA website.
I appreciate the tips! I lived in Florida during the 2 active hurricane seasons (Katrina and Wilma hit us) so I will now rename my hurricane supplies to 'winter survival kit' In regards to the blankets (silver), where can I find those up there? Does everyone make a run on the store when a snow storm is predicted? That always happened in Fl with the hurricanes. Also, have you ever lost electicity or water because of a winter storm? We lost electricity for a couple of days with Katrina and lost electricity and water for 1.5 weeks with Wilma. I just like to be prepared, and especially now with the baby.

My father tells me in the midwest they have these heating boxes that are on the front of the car and you plug them in at night so the battery/engine doesn't freeze? I've never heard anyone say anything about it, but thought I'd ask.

I will check out the other areas you mentioned. I will be busy today calling properties on the other links you gave. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-31-2008, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Buffalo :-)
2,992 posts, read 5,150,540 times
Reputation: 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloforayear View Post
so I will now rename my hurricane supplies to 'winter survival kit' In regards to the blankets (silver), where can I find those up there? Does everyone make a run on the store when a snow storm is predicted?
I know you asked BuffaloTransplant, but I can safely say that Buffalonians make it a habit of "stocking up" for the winter months, extra food, essentials, etc. Blankets are sold (almost) everywhere year-round. Don't let the news sound bites scare you, being a life-longer, loss of electicity is based on where you live (which grid) because during the October Storm (2007) I maintained electricity while my friends 2 blocks away lost eveything.

I honestly can't remember when I actually lost electricity because of a "storm".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:05 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top